IMPORTANT: Firearms Export Alert – Use of Form 4457 for Temporary Firearms Export

Could @TROPHY SHIPPERS chime in or maybe use their contacts to get some more detail?

I've gone through the hassle of getting an EIN and signing up for the AES system. When I started filing out the export form it gets a little fuzzy on exactly how it should be filled out. Unfortunately for me, I'm flying out of the 1 airport that there has been reports of an ITN number being required (DFW). Leaving in April....

I've gone through the hassle of getting an EIN and signing up for the AES system. When I started filing out the export form it gets a little fuzzy on exactly how it should be filled out. Unfortunately for me, I'm flying out of the 1 airport that there has been reports of an ITN number being required (DFW). Leaving in April....

I'm in the process of a post with instructions. I have posted it in the Before and After the hunt area. I just got thru the EIN and AES login. In a few hours I should have the info for filling out the export document. THe link is what I used, it is from 2015, most of the info is accurate, a few items have been reworded in the AES system

http://www.hunterssupport.com/hunters/index.php/news/61-obtain-an-itn

https://www.nraila.org/articles/202...Y02qwDSfnF2n4GMHtj4ccVpFW65pgjZ07UFC_IUBCIieQ

Trump Administration Publishes Historic Rulemaking to Modernize America’s Firearm Export Regime

On Jan. 23, the Trump administration published rules that will be a boon to the United States firearms industry and all who utilize its products. The new regulations will become effective March 9, 2020.

The rules update America’s regulatory regime for the export of firearms, as well as related parts, components, and accessories. They are the result of an intensive, years-long interagency review process, as well as consideration of thousands of public comments.

The changes move firearm-related commerce from an antiquated Cold War paradigm into the modern era of broader international trade and access to information.

No more will small, non-exporting businesses – including gunsmiths – be caught up in an expansive regulatory scheme for manufacturers of “munitions” and their parts that requires a $2,250 annual registration fee with U.S. State Department.

Americans will again be free to publish most technical information about firearms and ammunition – including on the publicly-accessible Internet – without fear of accidentally running afoul of State Department restrictions that could land them in federal prison.

And Americans temporarily traveling overseas with their own guns and ammunition won’t have to register them in a government database or deal with the complexities of completing lengthy forms in commercial exporting software.

Meanwhile, commercial exporters of non-military grade firearms and ammunition will have fewer fees to pay and will benefit from a more flexible, business-oriented regulatory environment. This will enhance their competitiveness in global markets and bring business and jobs that might have gone to unscrupulous foreign companies back to America, which will continue to have unrivaled oversight of its domestic and international arms trade.

To be clear, actual exports of firearms and ammunition will still require authorization by the federal government, including through licenses issued after interagency review to ensure the materiel will not fall into the wrong hands when it leaves the country. End users of the guns in the countries of destination will also remain subject to U.S. monitoring.

But guns and ammunition that can be readily obtained at big box retailers in the U.S. will no longer be treated for export purposes as if they were in the same “inherently military” category as missiles, warheads, howitzers, or other true weapons of war.

This change will additionally ensure that more resources are available to monitor transfers and movement of truly sensitive and consequential military equipment and technology.

The result is an overall win for American business, freedom, and the security of the Free World.

Needless to say, however, those who would ban firearms completely are already seeking to undermine the changes. Attorneys general from a number of anti-gun states have filed suit in a federal district court in Seattle, Wash., falsely alleging the rule changes would allow for the unregulated proliferation of so-called “3D-printed weapons.” Numerous media outlets have uncritically parroted these baseless claims.

In truth, the final versions of the rules specifically address this concern and will treat any computer code allowing for the automatic printing or milling of a firearm as a regulated item requiring prior authorization before being published on the Internet or released to any foreign national.

This latest action is just one more example of how President Trump continues to move forward with his positive agenda to protect the right to keep and bear arms and the businesses that comprise America’s firearms industry. American manufacturing, as well as lawful firearm ownership at home and abroad stand to make big gains under the president’s export reform initiative.
This has been posted before I think but I don't remember seeing what you have in bold print above. That would seem to indicate that after March it will not be required to do all this baloney. Unfortunately it could also be the case that if under challenge in the courts, quite likely and it doesn't go into effect as schedule, back to square one.

I'm in the process of a post with instructions. I have posted it in the Before and After the hunt area. I just got thru the EIN and AES login. In a few hours I should have the info for filling out the export document. THe link is what I used, it is from 2015, most of the info is accurate, a few items have been reworded in the AES system

http://www.hunterssupport.com/hunters/index.php/news/61-obtain-an-itn
Good grief! Even with it being pretty much spelled out, its a daunting task. Yuk! Think I will wait and see how things shake out with Trumps new rule above. Says right there we wont have to do this.
"And Americans temporarily traveling overseas with their own guns and ammunition won’t have to register them in a government database or deal with the complexities of completing lengthy forms in commercial exporting software".

Good grief! Even with it being pretty much spelled out, its a daunting task. Yuk! Think I will wait and see how things shake out with Trumps new rule above. Says right there we wont have to do this.
"And Americans temporarily traveling overseas with their own guns and ammunition won’t have to register them in a government database or deal with the complexities of completing lengthy forms in commercial exporting software".

Well I'm leaving April 6th, not taking any chances. If this goes like all other things Trump has done it WILL land up in the courts. I really hope it doesn't but I'm all set either way

The NRA piece was just printed yesterday, so cant get much more current than that! I am optimistic about this. I am looking at a September hunt and was really not looking forward to this BS.
Well I'm leaving April 6th, not taking any chances. If this goes like all other things Trump has done it WILL land up in the courts. I really hope it doesn't but I'm all set either way
I don't blame you, I would too being that close. Thanks for posting the info(y), we all may need it yet.:eek:

After reading all this and trying to figure out the AES system I called a friend who works for CBP at Bush Intercontinental Airport. He asked his supervisor who then confirmed with Head of CBP at IAH. Form 4457 was all I needed for reentry to USA returning from a hunt with same firearms I left with. So I dont need an AES registration since I am not leaving them in South Africa. As of now I am not going to do the AES.

After reading all this and trying to figure out the AES system I called a friend who works for CBP at Bush Intercontinental Airport. He asked his supervisor who then confirmed with Head of CBP at IAH. Form 4457 was all I needed for reentry to USA returning from a hunt with same firearms I left with. So I dont need an AES registration since I am not leaving them in South Africa. As of now I am not going to do the AES.
Lets hope it stays that way! I am encouraged by the NRA story that this will be set aside. Not sure I could survive doing that hideous BS:mad: even with the help Edster(y) provided. Probably end up in the hospital with a stroke!:eek:

Trump Administration Publishes Historic Rulemaking to Modernize America’s Firearm Export Regime
MONDAY, JANUARY 27, 2020

On Jan. 23, the Trump administration published rules that will be a boon to the United States firearms industry and all who utilize its products. The new regulations will become effective March 9, 2020.

The rules update America’s regulatory regime for the export of firearms, as well as related parts, components, and accessories. They are the result of an intensive, years-long interagency review process, as well as consideration of thousands of public comments.

No more will small, non-exporting businesses – including gunsmiths – be caught up in an expansive regulatory scheme for manufacturers of “munitions” and their parts that requires a $2,250 annual registration fee with U.S. State Department.

And Americans temporarily traveling overseas with their own guns and ammunition won’t have to register them in a government database or deal with the complexities of completing lengthy forms in commercial exporting software.

I just sent the President a brief thank you email about this and why it matters. I think we should all do the same. Without his actions, we would be still on this path of complications we have been discussing for months.

According to CBP head office no EEI or AES account is required. If you have any problems on departure or return you can provide folks with this contact :

You may provide this correspondence to any CBPO or their management.

As it pertains to personal owned firearms and ammunition, until further notice, CBP will continue the current process of issuing and verifying the form 4457, certificate of registration for personal effects taken abroad. CBP ports and officers are directed to facilitate the efforts of travelers to declare the export of firearms and ammunition and to assist with any request to inspect and verify the information contained on the 4457. The form is a supporting document for re-importation of the firearms without having to file formal entry. Some may travelers may choose to complete the EEI voluntarily and submit the ITN to CBP for verification upon their return to the US.

CBPs current internal weekly muster dated April 24th 2015 is still in effect.

If you have any questions email me directly at david.uscs.garcia@cbp.dhs.gov

Thank you,

David Garcia

Program Manager

Outbound Enforcement & Policy

Office of Field Operations

Customs and Border Protection

david.uscs.garcia@cbp.dhs.gov

Per the above, that seems to be the general consensus, especially in light of the new Trump rules which exempts us from dealing with this nonsense. However this is still on the CBP website.

'What is the process for a traveler to temporarily take a firearm, rifle, gun, shotgun or ammunition abroad for hunting or sports-related purposes?'

'Current export regulations issued by the Department of State require travelers to file Electronic Export Information (EEI) for temporary export of personally owned firearms via the Automated Export System (AES) prior to departure from the United States'

I do wish they would get some semblance of agreement in their opinions

However this is still on the CBP website.

That's because this new rule is scheduled to go into effect March 9th barring the mandatory law suits and activists federal Judges that will issue nation wide rulings from district courts???

:A Stirring:: I went to my local CBP Office to get a 4457 for the revolver I am taking to South Africa.

I got a new/different agent, because the regular agent was trying to fix the office printer,....

Their consensus...CBP 4457...is all that is required for those leaving and returning to the US, (US residents), with the same weapon(s)...... Per interagency communications,....... regarding the failure of passage of 2014 legislation and President Trump's international trade agreement relating to trade in non military weapons.

The AES & EEI are still required if "you" plan to leave your weapon(s) in a foreign country or want to bring back weapon(s) purchased in a foreign country.

Think I'll wait til next year and give this mess a chance to settle down and distill out.

I went to customs office in Amarillo, Texas for my 4457 and the agent told me it was “necessary”to file EEI as his superiors at DFW had informed him they would be requiring it. When I asked him to explain the process he couldn’t.

And therein lies the problem. Still no consensus amongst the offices from place to place what is or is not required. Hopefully Trumps new rules will straighten this out by March.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jhonmark007

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg