IMPORTANT: Firearms Export Alert – Use of Form 4457 for Temporary Firearms Export

If only the the State Department thru the Ambassador for South Africa could and would explain what the 4457 is and how the SA government should accept it regardless of when it was issued and the “expiration” date being meaningless to content and description for proof of ownership regarding temporary import for sporting purposes. The issues with securing a current 4457 from the CBP every time we visit SA is just another PIA along with testing, flight cancellations, vaccinations, quarantining and the numerous other problems incurred in international hunting. I currently have 9 differently dated 4457 for the same firearm, and always have to explain why I need an updated form to the CB. This situation of current 4457 required by SA each year needs to be addressed…maybe SCI or a similar organization needs to step in and the PHSA needs to voice their concern also to their government. Personally, yes easier to rent a rifle, but for me I am not comfortable with that, nor do I want to experience Africa with anything but my own firearm for memories sake.

If our Federal Government wasn't so big and disjointed, the ATF could authorize any Type 1 FFL to witness the rifle and sign and send a 4457 application to Customs on the owners behalf.

If only....

If our Federal Government wasn't so big and disjointed, the ATF could authorize any Type 1 FFL to witness the rifle and sign and send a 4457 application to Customs on the owners behalf.

If only....
The FFL could complete on line, with signature and FFL documentation, print and hand it out. All on line in 5 minuets or less. Great idea

Bringing up for those planning 2022 travel. I was planning on a quick run to CBP office I have had all my other 4457s done at. Called them today and they are NOT doing 4457s at this time!
Due to Covid concerns they said.

So know I have to make plans for a minimum 200 mile round trip to go to one of the Houston Airports, Hopefully can get appointment at Hobby as it is on south side of town and closer.

Even tho I am taking same guns as last year to South Africa and have good 4457s for entry back to USA. South Africa SAPS says has to be signed and dated in year of travel.

I talked to a CBP agent and he said not all offices are open to issue forms at this time. Make sure to call them.
Thanks for the update. Our very senior Customs official at Midland was forced to retire last year. He was in his ‘70’s and was always there. You know the old work ethic! Henry was a joy to visit with and it made me look forward to the drive to go get he 4457’s done. Now I’ll have to call and make an appt with some young guy who knows nothing and takes 2 hour long lunch breaks!
I am in the process of getting my group started on all this for our June safari To the Eastern Cape.
Philip
Philip

Just returned from getting my updated 4457, called spoke to the agent and was there in 1.5 hours…nice young guy..not sure how many of these he had completed..but he did state to me a new 4457 each time you return with items is required and using the same 4457 over and over was not acceptable…Hmmm.
basically a good example of how misinformation regarding a 4457 is rampant among the CBP. No physical contact, behind locked doors and thick glass window with a slide under window. He needed my Passport and ran a check on me and the firearms to determine that they were not on a stolen list.

Hey guys,

I just saw an update from SCI regarding their “Victory” for hunters exporting their firearms to temporarily hunt. I spent an hour on DHS website trying to figure out what the hell that means.

Do I need a 4457 today or can I use some AES website and avoid the 4457? Getting new, updated 4457 forms is proving problematic during covid and my 30 day deadline to apply for airline approval Is today.

African countries requiring the 4457 to be less than 6 mos old, expiration dated form…..issued the year in which you travel, are the problem why we are required to get new 4457. Does to not seem reasonable that the State department could not explain in detail to the countries what the 4457 is. The State department has no desire to accommodate hunters?

Hey guys,

I just saw an update from SCI regarding their “Victory” for hunters exporting their firearms to temporarily hunt. I spent an hour on DHS website trying to figure out what the hell that means.

Do I need a 4457 today or can I use some AES website and avoid the 4457? Getting new, updated 4457 forms is proving problematic during covid and my 30 day deadline to apply for airline approval Is today.

You need to have the 4457!!!! AES is not a substitute for this. Believe me you do not want to use the AES system anyways!!!!

Thanks. Anyone ever get Emirates to approve your gun transfers without providing them copies of 4457 forms?

The reason I ask, its a cluster getting 4457s right now and may take me a week or so of begging. Meanwhile, the 30-day deadline with Emirates is today.

If emirates would approve my request without 4457s it would buy me time before departure to go get them.

I don’t call the Denver CBP Office near Denver International Airport, I just show up and they have to issue the 4457. If you call, nobody calls back or they lie and say they don’t do 4457 at this time. That’s BS and just political and COVID excuses not in the law. Just go and make them answer the knock on the door and do their jobs. Have the forms pre-printed and already filled out so all they have to do is check serial number, stamp and sign.

I went to the same office that Scott did I was in and out in 5 minutes, another member on here just went there a week ago and couldn't believe that it went so fast.

But I do have a office at my local airport in a secured area and it is like pulling teeth to get them to do anything. Their office is inside the secure area so there is no just walking up and beating on their door.

Thanks for the update. Our very senior Customs official at Midland was forced to retire last year. He was in his ‘70’s and was always there. You know the old work ethic! Henry was a joy to visit with and it made me look forward to the drive to go get he 4457’s done. Now I’ll have to call and make an appt with some young guy who knows nothing and takes 2 hour long lunch breaks!
I am in the process of getting my group started on all this for our June safari To the Eastern Cape.
Philip
Philip
Damn, I didn't know Henry retired. He's a wonderful guy.

I just spoke to the Alliance Airport CBP office, (just north of the Fort Worth Cabela's) and the officer said they can sign 4457's anytime during normal duty hours but advised that you should call the day prior in case they are clearing incoming flights. The officer was very friendly.

Safe travels

I got a new 4457 the other day at the Binghamton NY airport . I'm really surprised there are people having a hard time getting them. To my knowledge there was always a customs agent at the airport. I think the lady I saw had to Google how to make out a 4457 but she eventually got it done lol.

If you're close to the Canadian Border use them. They were so happy to see me and have something to do. They held an impromptu class for the rookies.
The last time that I went Canada with a rifle I was looking for the US Customs office and before I knew it I was at the Canadiens window asking for my passport and what I was going into Canada for.

There was no problem since I already had my 4457 year and the Canadian firearm permit already filled out.

This was the office north of Eureka, Montana

I agree. I wonder why they want it dated in the current year when it is a defacto gun license? If there was an actual gun license it would be dated when it was issued not the year of the hunt!
If only the the State Department thru the Ambassador for South Africa could and would explain what the 4457 is and how the SA government should accept it regardless of when it was issued and the “expiration” date being meaningless to content and description for proof of ownership regarding temporary import for sporting purposes. The issues with securing a current 4457 from the CBP every time we visit SA is just another PIA along with testing, flight cancellations, vaccinations, quarantining and the numerous other problems incurred in international hunting. I currently have 9 differently dated 4457 for the same firearm, and always have to explain why I need an updated form to the CB. This situation of current 4457 required by SA each year needs to be addressed…maybe SCI or a similar organization needs to step in and the PHSA needs to voice their concern also to their government. Personally, yes easier to rent a rifle, but for me I am not comfortable with that, nor do I want to experience Africa with anything but my own firearm for memories sake.

Hey guys,

AES does not work. It basically does not exist. It’s a government fairytale.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LouveniaBo

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!