I'm finally going!

Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
First off, big thank you to this community. I found the outfit that I want to go with, Lianga Safaris, through this website. Aside from that every question I have asked has been readily and knowledgeably answered, I'm so glad to have found this place!
Now on to the post. I've wanted to go to Africa for a hunt ever since I was 8 years old. My grandfather used to tell me stories about all the hunts and adventures he had been on and to an 8 year old (with a little bit of hero worship for grandpa) these stories were basically legends. My father was not really into hunting so my grandpa (on moms side) took it upon himself to teach me everything he knew. He took me bird hunting, deer hunting, stalking, the works. Some of the best times in my life. We were beginning to toss around the idea of he and I going to Africa when his heart gave out on him and he passed on to his next adventure. Without anyone interested in taking me on any kind of hunt the passion for hunting died but the interest in firearms was kindled and the thought always remained that someday, somehow, I was going to go to Africa. Well the other day I was talking to one of my best friends (basically my brother) and we were talking about how time flies and how things never turn out how you plan and I was recounting some of my grandpas stories and as I sat there thinking about it I suddenly realized that I'm now 32, almost 33 and I've wanted to do this since I was 8...my goodness why on earth don't I just go and do it? So I spoke with my wife (who is actually going to come with me, double win!) came on here from a random google search, looked around, lurked a good amount, found some outfits to contact, booked my trip for August of 2017 and this very morning I paid my deposit and put my feet on the trail that started with an 8 year old boy and a loving world-traveled grandfather all those years ago. It's more than just Africa to me, it's almost like finally fulfilling a promise.
Sorry that was long, it just all flowed out and I wanted to thank you all for being here for guys like me, guys who finally want to do this and don't know the first thing about where to go or how to start. You all had a hand in making this come true, thank you for it and happy hunting!

Last edited:
You're on your way.

Congratulations! You pulled on that trigger swiftly and hit your target pretty hard… ;) We perhaps now need to change your surname to make it more appropriate @Eventually_Africa. :D

By the way thanks for the kind words.

Now to the planning stage, making an animal wishlist.......

Thanks you! When I actually get back I'll take a look at changing the user name if it's allowed (y). Again, sorry for the long post but one thing my Dad did teach me was "if your going to do it, do it!" and dang it all, I've waited 25 years for this, I think it's high time I just went ahead and did it!

Congratulations! I envy you. More than you know, time is all too fleeting. Glad you're making your hunt while still a young man.

And the addiction continues...

You are going to Africa sir! Enjoy planning and then savor the time you are there hunting!

Thank you all! It's going to be a Plains Game hunt. The listed animals are an Impala, a Blesbuck, and a Warthog. I would also like to take a civet and maybe a porcupine. My wife wants a Blesbuck and a bush pig. I was going to purchase a 9.3x62 or a .375 for this hunt but on the advice of the PH I've decided to just take my good ole 308 with me and use the money I would have spent on another trophy or taxidermy work.

Good for you Eventually_Africa!
Do yourself a favour and allow as much time as you possibly can. More to see than one can imagine. Enjoy your planning, it's a fun part of the process.

Congrats. I was younger than eight when I started dreaming and 46 when I went. So I understand the waiting. Enjoy your planning it is a big part of the journey.

. I would also like to take a civet and maybe a porcupine.

If you get a chance chase the porcupine with a stick or a rock. They are easy to run up on and kill and it is an experience for sure. Just remember though, run beside them and not behind them. They make sudden stops.... :A Banana Sad:

Congrats on taking that first big step towards fulfilling a lifelong dream! Adventure awaits!

Congrats. I was younger than eight when I started dreaming and 46 when I went. So I understand the waiting. Enjoy your planning it is a big part of the journey.

If you get a chance chase the porcupine with a stick or a rock. They are easy to run up on and kill and it is an experience for sure. Just remember though, run beside them and not behind them. They make sudden stops.... :A Banana Sad:

Interesting idea heh. I'm not sure on that one though, I've got a reconstructed knee that means my "chase" speed isn't very good. Quicker and cleaner with a rifle at least for me :)

Wonderful, I can certainly relate to your story and I was in the same boat in 2015 when I took my trip. Fair warning though if you think you have the bug now just wait. By the time you get back it becomes an obsession in the strictest since and you will spend ever moment there after trying to figure out how to go again and again. I'm very very happy for you and good luck. Hold on to your britches because it's going to be a hellava ride!

Hunting in Africa is like a virus ....

Hunting in Africa is like a virus ....

You know I once heard that friendship was like a virus. You meet one person, become friends, then meet their friends and become friends, etc. etc. Rather pleasant as far as pathogens go lol. Anyway thank you all, I am very much looking forward to this trip!

I didn't go to Africa till I was 57, I've been back ever since. I was dreaming about it since I was 14, and read a book by Selous. You will love it, enjoy your time there and embrace all the things good or bad.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChristyLak

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg