Hunting the Tiny Ten

Besides as long as the shirt isn't tied in a knot on the side it ok

Besides as long as the shirt isn't tied in a knot on the side it ok

That is funny but that would be crossing a line for sure LOL

I would pay to see marius face with brickburn getting on of the car in blue shorts like that.

I do however fully intend on rockin the pink shirt while I'm there in June. I might even hunt my lion in it.

I do however fully intend on rockin the pink shirt while I'm there in June. I might even hunt my lion in it.

There maybe a fee for that though. I hope the check is in the mail. LOL Just don't tell your ph and come walking out in it in the morning and I will wave the fee

Oh I fully intended on walking out and pretending everything is normal

So the tiny ten could really be expanded to the tiny twelve? What's the next largest antelope after that?

And those shorts are nothing compared to what I've seen some German men in!

If I take total days hunted for the tiny 10 excluding Suni and Dik-Dik it has taken a client 4 days to collect 8 of them. It is all about the areas you hunt for them and how you hunt for them.

If I take total days hunted for the tiny 10 excluding Suni and Dik-Dik it has taken a client 4 days to collect 8 of them. It is all about the areas you hunt for them and how you hunt for them.
I understand that how you hunt will have a lot to do with it, but this still seems like an extraordinary feat! A klippie will only be found in mountains, while a blue duiker will only be found in thickets, and a steinbok will likely be found on open plains. Etc.

I assume you are using dogs for at least some and hunting at night with lights for others (grysbok?)?

I haven't intentionally gone after the tiny ten, but have gotten five at various times, and I can tell you that apart from perhaps the steinbok, not one was an easy hunt.

I think so much would be up to what size a hunter would be happy with. Yes it could be done in a fast time frame if you are shooting the first male you see. Plus the blue duiker sometimes females are taken when using dogs.

I see guys say how fast then can do it but not to much detail. Then you hear others tell you how hard they are to hunt. yes a common duiker,steenbok,orbi and maybe one or two others come fairly easy but if you hunt for a better then avg male you will need to pass on a few.
Maybe on your trip the weather goes bad or one of the many other things that can go wrong does. Anyone going and planning on doing this kind of a hunt in a week is crazy. I don't care what kind of area you have and how good you think you are of a hunter.

If you do this hunt and hunt for what I would say is better then avg male and I do not mean top record book size I think more time is needed to pull that off.

Hi Gizmo

dik-dik-ram.jpg

Hunting the Damara Dik-Dik is a real special hunt. These tiny animal are really beautiful and they make a special trophy.
You need a special permit to hunt them and as outfitter you only have 2 permits per year to hunt the Dik-Dik.
You can hunt the Klipspringer, Duiker and Steenbok also in Namibia.
1 (773).JPG

See this was more of what I was thinking of. I wouldn't be looking for record book animals, just nice representative specimens.

With luck, I have no doubt this could occur, but what would the average time be for representative trophies at least?

I assume you are using dogs for at least some and hunting at night with lights for others (grysbok?)?

I haven't intentionally gone after the tiny ten, but have gotten five at various times, and I can tell you that apart from perhaps the steinbok, not one was an easy hunt.

To my Luck point above, my Grysbok was about a one minute hunt. Checking a waterhole for buffalo tracks in the middle of the day, Grysbok walks out for a drink, hunt over. He is still my second favorite behind my buffalo though and he made me want the other nine. :)

Ouch. That's a leopard hunt. There again in May be less expensive to try and pick the little buggers off a few at a time on trips I would be on anyway.
That makes the most sense to me! Just be sure your PH understands it is high on the priority list to get these little guys.

That makes the most sense to me! Just be sure your PH understands it is high on the priority list to get these little guys.
This was my approach initially. Now I find myself going to Natal and Namibia this spring, looking particularly for those I'm missing (with a cheetah on the side).

I think so much would be up to what size a hunter would be happy with. Yes it could be done in a fast time frame if you are shooting the first male you see. Plus the blue duiker sometimes females are taken when using dogs.

I see guys say how fast then can do it but not to much detail. Then you hear others tell you how hard they are to hunt. yes a common duiker,steenbok,orbi and maybe one or two others come fairly easy but if you hunt for a better then avg male you will need to pass on a few.
Maybe on your trip the weather goes bad or one of the many other things that can go wrong does. Anyone going and planning on doing this kind of a hunt in a week is crazy. I don't care what kind of area you have and how good you think you are of a hunter.

If you do this hunt and hunt for what I would say is better then avg male and I do not mean top record book size I think more time is needed to pull that off.

Every single one of the 5 I took in 5 days made SCI Gold. A quality outfit will NEVER let you shoot substandard animals, no matter how little the time.

Every single one of the 5 I took in 5 days made SCI Gold. A quality outfit will NEVER let you shoot substandard animals, no matter how little the time.

Marius taking 5 in 5 days is very lucky would you not say. I know you can get great trophies in a short time when all goes well. Plus you have hunted plenty of the little ones.

Taking 8 of them in 4 days was more were I thought that was really pushing it telling guys that is normal.

I am just saying hunting the tiny ones if looking for very good ones is know different then hunting any other animal. It can be tougher then must are making it. More then area and guide could decide how it goes. There are many types of hunters that may want to do the ten tiny. For one not everyone will be able to do the mountain hunt part as easy as some others. Then some cant make the shoots on the smaller target and longer ranges. Many factors make this hunt harder then it seems.

I will wait to see the package that is for only 5 days but 8 of the tiny ten and see if hunter think it is a good idea. By the talk on this thread I was also think it would be a guaranteed hunt or guys could come back for free till they get them all. Can be done but I don't think it is a wise move for anyone to think it is that easy.

Well folks that's why some specialize in the Tiny Ten. Here is a few things to consider. 24 hr time frame 2 Red Duiker, Klippie,Sharp Grysbuck and Common Duiker. All which will score very well in the book, if the book is what you hunt by.

Even with the dogs on Blue Duiker trophy size can still be attained if your PH knows his stuff. Now the most important part is not how but were you hunt them. There are very small pockets left with high numbers of the species mentioned above. The better the area is managed the better the chances are stacked in your favour.

Easy to say impossible till it's get done , yes weather etc may play a part and sure you could do it in less time with a light at night.
Please also take note that I said hunting days, the species were spread across 2 provinces and 2 days travel not included.
The longest part of hunting them is currently the permit for Oribi, unless you pick up a cancelled hunt.

Once again I say it's been done. Nothing is guarenteed, then it would be shooting not hunting.
If the hunter whishes to pay for every one of the species he misses or does not see when it is pointed at, I am willing to get him back here on my cost:D

As far as a reasonable time frame goes for the 8 species above I would allocate 5 days in the EC and 5 days in Limpopo to get what you want, this excludes 2 travel days and flights between the two provinces.

Marius taking 5 in 5 days is very lucky would you not say.
No, not at all. By the way it was actually 3 days. Turned to 5 days since we added 1x Black Wildebeest,2x Springbuck and 2xBlesbuck in between. Free range hunt, by the way.

Plus you have hunted plenty of the little ones.
Bill, are you actually implying that experience actually means something? Are you feeling Ok? I'll take that, and put it in my pocket, thanks...:D

No man, just yanking your chain, Bill. When it goes wrong, it can go horribly wrong. You are very correct. When we book someone for a Vaal Rhebuck, I usually allocate 3 hunting days for a Valie alone. On their day, the tiny 10 can all give you a hard time and can quite easily end up taking you quite a bit longer than 5 days. I would rather give a hunter a better deal on the day fees and allocate more days than necessary. I believe 12 days for the 7 should be ample.

No, not at all. By the way it was actually 3 days. Turned to 5 days since we added 1x Black Wildebeest,2x Springbuck and 2xBlesbuck in between. Free range hunt, by the way.

Bill, are you actually implying that experience actually means something? Are you feeling Ok? I'll take that, and put it in my pocket, thanks...:D

No man, just yanking your chain, Bill. When it goes wrong, it can go horribly wrong. You are very correct. When we book someone for a Vaal Rhebuck, I usually allocate 3 hunting days for a Valie alone. On their day, the tiny 10 can all give you a hard time and can quite easily end up taking you quite a bit longer than 5 days. I would rather give a hunter a better deal on the day fees and allocate more days than necessary. I believe 12 days for the 7 should be ample.

Marius now that you say that I was feeling alittle dizzy this morning. You can only you it once though and don't keep it in your pocket to long it has a short life span. LOL

I only have one favor to ask you. Please and I mean please don't ever use the yanking your chain on any thread were that picture of you in them blue shorts is part of the thread.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edwardsrailcarcom00

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg