Hunting Days India

Thanks Monish for sharing your wonderful collection of pictures from a bygone era.

My Grandfather lived in India in the 20's and 30's after serving with the British in WW1, he spoke of hunting Tiger, Leopard and Boar from horseback with lances. When he emigrated to America in the late 30's he brought loads of pictures as well as skins with him. Unfortunatley most were destroyed in a Hurricane many years ago. It was great to see those pictures and be able to relate them to him.

this is a big step back in time ,thank you moonish
the old hunters must have done the hard yards for sure , those pictures of samba heads just get my blood pumping moonish i can near feel my pulse behind my eyes mate ,and if i can be so bold as to ask if theres any chance of you posting any more photos of these fantastic game animals and maybe a report of how the old shakaris hunted them i would be in your debt .
ive just acquired a set of samba antlers which im told were hunted with hounds in india in 1908 and they take number one position in my mancave , they measure 42inches on the left and 40 and 7/8 on the right
and ive read that some of them grow out up to 50 inches .that just makes me shake all over
i know hunting in india has been banned for long time so some of these stags must be huge now .
in australia especially down in south east they are our number one game species and over the the last 5to 7 years the way the summer have been wet the antler devolpment has gone willd

Awesome pics Monish!

By the way did you hear about the two very old english officers sitting in their London club remininscing about the old days of hunting in India.

The old Col. was telling his slightly younger subaltern:
"There we were, stalking this maneater through the elephant grass, couldn't see more than foot in front of me old man! We knew he was hiding in the tall grass, by jove, he'd eaten four men already! our knees were quaking and a stiff upper lip was called for! Just then there was this earth shattering ROOOOOOOAWR! Well! I just shat myself old chap!"
"When it charged?" says the Subaltern, "no, you fool now when I went ROOOOOOOAWR!" said Col.

well put i say there old:thumb::thumb::draught::draught::rock: chap

Some more hunting pictures from the British Raj Era ... for our members to see.

watermark.php

watermark.php

Monish

Last edited by a moderator:
they are certaianly awesome animals moonish
thanks again

Thanks , I am glad, you all my friends appreciated the pictures ... there are many more to come :) ....

Monish

Thank you Monish, glad to have you back !

Thank you Monish, glad to have you back !

Thanks Nyati , my friend , its great to be back again on AH.Com..

Some more pictures ....:) Hope you enjoy viewing them ..

Monish

watermark.php

watermark.php

Good to have you back posting again Monish! Great pics, thanks for sharing.

Thank you , my friend ..

some more of the hunting pics ..

Monish

watermark.php

watermark.php

watermark.php

Hi Igor,

I am glad you relish the pictures ....

Monish

Attachments

• maharaja of bikaner.jpg
    maharaja of bikaner.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 376
Dear Members,

2 TIGERS & A PANTHER ...

watermark.php

watermark.php

watermark.php

Monish

Here are some more ....

Monish

watermark.php

watermark.php

watermark.php

watermark.php

thanks again moonish
do you have any photos of samba deer hunts back in the day mate ?

thanks again moonish
do you have any photos of samba deer hunts back in the day mate ?

Hey Bluey

Could find couple of pictures of fine Sambhar heads ... taken way back in the early 60s ..

Monish

Attachments

• sambar.bmp
    1 MB · Views: 931
  • SAMBHAR1.jpg
    SAMBHAR1.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 326
Monish,

The second photo of your post #49 looks to be Bert Klineburger . . but I'll bet you knew that!:)

Wow . . SHIKAR!!! . . . . Tiger, Gir Lion, Panther, Sloth Bear, Himalayan Bear, Gaur, Water Buffalo, Rhino, Mugger Crocodile, Barasingha, Sambhar, Muntjac . . . . what a HUNTER'S PARADISE! . . . . many MANY THANKS for posting these amazing photos.

Monish,

The second photo of your post #49 looks to be Bert Klineburger . . but I'll bet you knew that!:)

Wow . . SHIKAR!!! . . . . Tiger, Gir Lion, Panther, Sloth Bear, Himalayan Bear, Gaur, Water Buffalo, Rhino, Mugger Crocodile, Barasingha, Sambhar, Muntjac . . . . what a HUNTER'S PARADISE! . . . . many MANY THANKS for posting these amazing photos.

Oh . . I left out Wild Boar . . . surely you must have some photos in your collection . . . after all isn't India where "Pig-sticking" was invented!? . . . :)

Gaur, lion, tiger, rhino, buffalo, elephant, panther, bear, monster sambar - an old school Indian shikar - good lord Monish, this is the stuff that dreams are made of! Such a shame it's all come to an end!

Monish I've not really done much reading around the topic of hunting in India - what was the motivation behind the total ban in 1972? Did the "excess" of colonial hunting and the Royal shikars put too big a dent in animal numbers? Was the human-animal conflict with subsistence farming families too great for the wildlife to maintain a grip on their declining habitat?

Would be interestedin anything you could share? Or perhaps you could recommend a book that might help explain the scenario and how it came to be?

Cheers Monish. Dan

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JohnT3006

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg