Reaction score
Media
Articles
Member of
AfricaHunting.com
Hunted
Tanzania, Nepal, Canada,
AH Members,

Few rare hunting photographs from India , during the British Rule . Tiger hunting was in its soaring grandeur and was the favourite past time of the Indian Royalty, the British officers, bureaucracy and the Lords. Great shikar expeditions used to be planned and for months the hunting camps were set up to procure best of heads as trophies.

Monish

watermark.php

watermark.php

watermark.php

watermark.php

watermark.php

watermark.php

watermark.php

watermark.php

watermark.php

watermark.php

watermark.php

watermark.php

Last edited by a moderator:
Some more of the old hunting photograhs from the British India , the bygone era of golden hunting days . SHIKAR as it was called was the most passionate sport amongst the Royalty , the rich and the famous.

Monish

watermark.php

watermark.php

watermark.php

watermark.php

watermark.php

watermark.php

Few More hunting photos from India , the tiger hunting was at its peak during the British Raj , and grand hunting sessions were organised and were more of a social gatherings amongst the maharajas, the British high ranked bureaucracy & officers.

Monish

watermark.php

watermark.php

watermark.php

watermark.php

watermark.php

watermark.php

watermark.php

watermark.php

watermark.php

George Nathaniel Curzon (11 January 1859 - 20 March 1925)

1st Marquess Curzon of Kedleston KG, GCSI, GCIE, PC , known as The Lord Curzon of Kedleston between 1898 and 1911 and as The Earl Curzon of Kedleston between 1911 and 1921, was a British Conservative statesman who was Viceroy of India from the 6th of January 1899 to the 18th of November 1905 and Foreign Secretary. A very keen hunter and a consevationist. He did shoot ample tigers and Leopards during his tenure on various positions in India.

Few of his hunting photos during the heydays of Tiger hunting in India.

Monish

watermark.php

watermark.php

watermark.php

watermark.php

More Hunting pictures from India ... The Maharaja Sadul Singh of Bikaner ...

Monish

watermark.php

watermark.php

Raja Dinesh Pratap Singh of Kasmanda ..

Monish

watermark.php

watermark.php

Thank you Monish for the quick 'time travel' back to those days.
Some humungus cats taken then - leopard as well i see. (personally - i did not know India had or still have leopards.

Some of the pictures taken with 8-9 tigers lying at the hunter's feet does not sit well with me at all. When did they decide in those days enough is enough - probably after their time ran out because it looks like the currency was not a problem.

Some humungus cats taken then - leopard as well i see. (personally - i did not know India had or still have leopards.

Funny you say that, I never thought of India and leopard together as well, but it suddenly hit me: Rudyard Kipling's "Jungle Book" has Bagheera, the black panther, so they must have been present in Kipling's time.

Funny you say that, I never thought of India and leopard together as well, but it suddenly hit me: Rudyard Kipling's "Jungle Book" has Bagheera, the black panther, so they must have been present in Kipling's time.

O yeah - remeber that way back - I suppose Monish will have some relevant comments on this matter when he returns to his post.

Good luck with the game! I hear rumours this-a-way that McCaw is also out of the Kiwi team?

Hi All Dear Members,

Some more of the old hunting pictures from the British Raj days in India . Hope you all enjoy viewing them...

Monish

watermark.php

watermark.php

watermark.php

watermark.php

watermark.php

watermark.php

watermark.php

Some more...... For all your eyes only :shades:

Monish

Pictures Courtesy : Mr. Shuja UL Islam

watermark.php

watermark.php

watermark.php

watermark.php

watermark.php

watermark.php

watermark.php

Tiger Hunting in Malaysia ...

The Sultan of Johore ...

Monish

watermark.php

watermark.php

watermark.php

Hi Monish,

Those are , indeed, rare pictures !

I met an old India hunter recently and he has asked me to write his memoirs and has, only a few images saved.

He hunted an killed his first Tiger aged 15 and shot his first Leopard aged 11.

His father, Lt Colonel Bill Shannahan often used to hunt man eaters in the 1920s and 30's and shared hunts with Jim Corbett, who was a family friend.

If the book comes to anything , I will send to you .

All best

Tony

And for those of you unaware that India had leopards, I would strongly recommend Jim Corbet's books. I admire him above all others because he was a civil servant with the unenviable task of eliminating maneaters - and fortunately, he could really write. Some of the very worst killers were leopards, many of which killed dozens of people, often dragging them out of their huts without a family member even waking. Just a terrific read.

Thanks Tony , shall upload more pictures shortly .... India was the most sought after destination for tiger & big game hunting once upon a time , now just are these photos that relate to the bygone golden era of hunting ......

Cheers

Monish

Thanks monish for sharing these incredible pictures from your part of the world!

Thanks Jerome ,

Here are some more :cool:

Monish

watermark.php

watermark.php

watermark.php

watermark.php

watermark.php

Thank you for sharing these amazing pictures, Monish !

Thank you for sharing these amazing pictures, Monish !

Thanks Nyati , more hunting pictures , for all of us to see :cool:

Monish

watermark.php

watermark.php

watermark.php

watermark.php

watermark.php

watermark.php

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SungHiggin

Latest profile posts

thriller wrote on Bronkatowski1's profile.
Until this guy posts something on pay it forward free I would avoid him at all costs.
sgtsabai wrote on Buck51's profile.
If it hasn't sold by next week I might be interested. Stock would have to be changed along with some other items. I'm already having a 416 Rigby built so money is a tad bit tight.
The35Whelen wrote on MedRiver's profile.
Hey pal! I'll take all the .375 bullets if they're available.
Thanks!

Cody R. Sieber
@DERIAN KOEKEMOER SAFARIS is proud to say that we are members of PHASA.
WhatsApp Image 2024-03-09 at 08.11.01_9d17b32f.jpg