Hunting Belts

I have space for 14 rounds in the belt I normally don't fill it up unless shooting a competition.
But the the extra spots are always welcome when unloading the rifle completely and emptying the magazine I can add the ropunds to the belt and also make sure that the bottom round doesn't stay at the bottom of the mag.

Also it gives me easy access to solids and softs one side with solids and other with softs.
So normally in the lott there will be 5 rounds in the rifle and 7 on the belt.
Wit the 375 there will be 3 in the rifle mag obly takes 3 and 7 on the belt.

Rather carry too many rounds than too little.

20210919_082250.jpg

Continuously topping off the rifle magazine leaves the bottom round on the bottom. This also means the bottom round takes the most cumulative recoil punishment. It’s not uncommon to see that bottom round push a bullet back into the case, compressing the load even more or even going so far as to lose neck tension…or the opposite where the bullet pulls out of the case and gets even longer, creating a true mechanical jam.

Way back in the day, especially with cordite, this was a real problem and was the cause of pressure spike situations and/or misfeeding/jams.

(*it’s not just my heavy recoiling rifles - I see it on my revolvers. .44 mag and .480 Ruger, heck, I’ve seen bullet jump in my S&W 986 in 9mm. Fire 6 of the 7 cartridges, pull the last out one and it’s usually longer than it started, with the bullet pulling out under recoil.)

by the same token, that first round that gets fed into the chamber several times before you finally get a shot? Yeah, inspect that cartridge regularly. Charging the rifle, working the bolt, jacking the cartridge up the feed ramp a bunch of times can also affect that first round as well.

by the same token, that first round that gets fed into the chamber several times before you finally get a shot? Yeah, inspect that cartridge regularly. Charging the rifle, working the bolt, jacking the cartridge up the feed ramp a bunch of times can also affect that first round as well.

This I have noticed too, especially with very soft lead nosed bullets, it gets all deformed after the 20th time of being charged and unloaded.

If the right .303 double would present itself, I could avoid that issue entirely.

On the subject of belts, I've been prowling for a wider over belt to use for a small pouch, knife, and ammo. The Els style (hogback) fits the bill, but I'm hesitant to drop the dough on one. Triple K makes another that seems to be of substantial quality, but I haven't seen as much feedback on that belt. I'd like to buy it once, but I'm also aware of how diminishing returns work.

If the right .303 double would present itself, I could avoid that issue entirely.

On the subject of belts, I've been prowling for a wider over belt to use for a small pouch, knife, and ammo. The Els style (hogback) fits the bill, but I'm hesitant to drop the dough on one. Triple K makes another that seems to be of substantial quality, but I haven't seen as much feedback on that belt. I'd like to buy it once, but I'm also aware of how diminishing returns work.

I have the Els webbing belt. It is outstanding.

Some of these leather belts shown in this post are works of art and I'd love to have them.

However, I've wondered why more people don't use the padded military "battle belt" especially if they are carrying more than a knife and a few rounds of ammo. I have a USMC surplus one in coyote brown that has built-in thin suspenders, has MOLLE loops all around, and could be used to carry a water bottle, first aid kit, ammo, and your knife. I know it isn't traditional or pretty but it seems consummately utilitarian.

I see that I'm not the only one thinking of using one: https://www.africahunting.com/threads/the-long-road-to-africa.67374/post-875874

Some beautiful belts shown here.
I use a 1.5” leather belt thru the pants loops. I then use a heavy nylon belt with a five round slide (if hunting DG), two Uncle Mike nylon six round flapped carriers, a small flashlight in a pouch and a knife or Leatherman. Grab, wrap it on and go.

This is my belt, cartridge holder & sling, all hand made by one of our talented members on this forum. It is beautiful and well made. Took it to Africa this year. :)

1663349044951.png

I like the Murray Cartridge Belt with leather loops and it also holds my hunting knife. It gets worn over my other clothing and when I get in the bakkie, I take it off. Wherever my rifle is, this belt is right next to it. If we need to run off in a hurry, it's always handy for those kinds of opportunities.
View attachment 487347
Is this company still in business? I like this belt. I need one before September.

Murray custom leather. Like the elastic as its fits multiple calibers and holds the cartridges tightly but also they're easy to pull when needed.

Have a els and co little wind powder thing, knife, and tourniquet on the belt too. Nice that those items can not be around my waist when sitting in the truck but takes all of 5 seconds to put on and everything is where it needs to be.

Is this company still in business? I like this belt. I need one before September.
He had a rack of the cartridge belts on display at DSC last week. I picked up a second 6 round belt slide while there.

Any one have a Murray C2 that can show the back side? I would like to see the belt loops - whether the back leather is looped over to make a full-width slot, or the back panel has slits cut for the belt to pass through (like Westley Richards). thanks,

For my rifle, I never had a culling belt. I use a leather shell holder "pouch" that had snap flap. It holds 8 rounds. I put it on pant holding belt.

For my pistol a Thompson Contender, I had "culling belt/bracelet made that I wear on my left wrist. It held three 375 JDJ rounds. Since the TC is single shot break open, pulling rounds from your inside weak hand wrist is faster and safer then a culling belt. I used on every shot.

If I was to get a culling belt. Murray is what I would get.

When I was working in the bush I kept a belt handy with a Von Gruff knife, ammo pouch, leatherman.

It's a Courtney boots belt and I just put it over my waist if I wanted to go for a quick hunt up the creek, took the belt and rifle and o was ready because I could start my hunt 200m from the house following the creek looking for feral pigs

Els&Co wide leather belt
Els&Co slide-on open or closed ammo pouch, above my crotch.
Von Gruff knife in a closed sheath at the back.

Any one have a Murray C2 that can show the back side? I would like to see the belt loops - whether the back leather is looped over to make a full-width slot, or the back panel has slits cut for the belt to pass through (like Westley Richards). thanks,
I’ll take a few more detailed pictures of the belt when I get home but the back is completely smooth. The belt is double thickness with the loops stitched to the outer layer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ScottyB2157

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!