Hunting Belts

Travis2282

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
I know culling belts have to be wore on top of normal belt, but if your wearing belt with ammo wallet and knife do you go with a 2 in belt and wear over hips or 1 1/2 belt and put belt and accessories through belt loops? I have both, just pondering on a rainy day!

I guess I depends on the situation. If I’m hunting horseback in grizzly country; I will typically carry a sidearm. If I’m carrying handgun, ammo, knife; I typically wear a heavy 2 1/2 inch leather belt over my chaps, and I throw a set of suspenders on to hold everything up.

For all other hunting I have a cartridge slide and a knife so I run a 1 1/2 inch belt through the loops and call it good.

For Africa I have a separate belt that Ali gs comfortably over everything else. It holds; ammo slide, knife, possibles pouch and a water bottle.

I’ve done both. The over the top belt is handy because at the end of the day you can drop it off with your gun and gear. Ammo pouch and knife on a regular belt is less cumbersome and less to carry. Personal choice. :E Shrug:

If you are really culling, or the action is fast, furious and dangerous, then take off the lower belt (if it will still hold your pants up) and put the culling belt over everything.

If the lower belt is needed to hold your pants up, then wear it, but take off all the accessories.

Unless you are the PH, tracker, or skinner, your job is to put as many bullets as possible exactly where they need to be and nothing else.

If you are in the normal situation of a client hunting with a PH for DG, the culling belt is nothing more than a fashion accessory, IMO.

I have one that someone gave me for a .470 NE.

I like owning it and I appreciate it. But, I wouldn't take it out of my backpack unless some crazy stuff was about to go down.

If you are going to use it, then practice reloading from it.

Friend of mine made this belt for me it's nice and wide works for both the 375 H&H and 458 Lott and should for 416 Rem Mag also. Weight distrubutes all over with small bag range finder and knife add on extra leather man or torch pouch.

Get back to vehicle or camp just take off and put it down no need to take anything off.
I have being using this belt now for the last 6 years. Motsly on DG hunts for extra backup or hunting for myself.

IMG_1287 (2).JPG

I like the Murray Cartridge Belt with leather loops and it also holds my hunting knife. It gets worn over my other clothing and when I get in the bakkie, I take it off. Wherever my rifle is, this belt is right next to it. If we need to run off in a hurry, it's always handy for those kinds of opportunities.
1662371467864.png

My belt is 2 inch and fits through the loops of my shorts. I put a slider cartridge holder with 10 loops. With 5 rounds in the magazine and 10 on my belt, i am ready for most situations. I always carry my pack with a first aid kit/ water/ torch etc so I can stash more rounds in the pack.

I did just accompany a hunt where 10 shots were fired at a giraffe. 8 from the hunter and 2 from the PH. I would hope i never need more than 15 and am pretty sure i would have time to get into my pack somewhere during the 15 shot barrage.

1.5" through the belt loops - otherwise my pants fall down. :)

It's a bit of a pain to work Leatherman, or whatever, onto the left side when changing pants. But not a huge deal.

I use a 1.5" leather belt to hold my pants up and it has absolutely nothing on it - nothing to get caught, get in the way or weigh the belt into your hips. Four cartridges go in hoops above the left shirt pocket, two more in the left and right shirt pockets. Opinel in the left thigh pouch, pocket binos in the right pouch. Thats it, nothing to take off and then grab again in a hurry.

Just asking...how many of these DG hunts have you done where you needed 10+ extra rounds?

I'm not saying don't do it, I'm just curious if it's happened.

Once!

Just asking...how many of these DG hunts have you done where you needed 10+ extra rounds?

I'm not saying don't do it, I'm just curious if it's happened.

Twice…both on hunts using a 470 double.
One Buffalo took 11, 7 from me and 4 from the PH. We were charged and the Buff made contact with the PH.
Second time was a rhino that took 5 from me.

HH

Oooh, do I sense maybe a story there?? :eek:
I don't know the story, but I bet I know the lesson...better to have and not need them, than need and not have.

In the grand scheme of things that is an African safari, ammo is about the least expensive piece of gear. Load up and be properly prepared.

I don't know the story, but I bet I know the lesson...better to have and not need them, than need and not have.

In the grand scheme of things that is an African safari, ammo is about the least expensive piece of gear. Load up and be properly prepared.
Boy Scout motto - always be prepared, carry a pen knife!

I wear a belt. Kifaru to be exact. Lays flat and no issues under a pack. Doubles as a tourniquet and hold elk in better position for cleaning.

I had this belt made many years back just for display. Kaliber is .416Rigby. The rifle is also a .416Rigby. Whether its practical or not I wouldn`t know. I guess loaded up with 32 rounds it becomes heavy(bulky). Maybe half like 16 rounds it would make some sence.
xYYJL2Ih.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I wear a second 2" belt over with cartridge slides. On most hunts I use two different calibers and instead of switching belts with built in loops I just switch cartridge slides. Not to mention more real estate is available if I wish to use it to carry something else (knife, Leatherman case etc.). I like the Els Hogsback 2" belt I have gotten from @African Sporting Creations some years ago.

full

I wear a second 2" belt over with cartridge slides. On most hunts I use two different calibers and instead of switching belts with built in loops I just switch cartridge slides. Not to mention more real estate is available if I wish to use it to carry something else (knife, Leatherman case etc.). I like the Els Hogsback 2" belt I have gotten from @African Sporting Creations some years ago.

full

I have loved every els and co I have purchased!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NinaStilwe

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Coltwoody@me.com
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross