How many people have a 35 whelen?

200 yard group with the above load
20210809_191827.jpg

200 grain FTX 200 yard 5 shot group

View attachment 418729
@jwp475.
That's some good as shooting out of that beautiful hiwall. What make is that lovely rifle, I can hear the cities of horror now when I say the hi and lowalls are classier to me than the No1.
Bob.

@jwp475.
That's some good as shooting out of that beautiful hiwall. What make is that lovely rifle, I can hear the cities of horror now when I say the hi and lowalls are classier to me than the No1.
Bob.
I agree I think the High and Lowell's are classier. Mine is a 1885 Highwall (not a B78) made by Browning

jpw475 Your Browning Highwall is a thing of beauty, on top of that she shoots as well as she looks. How long is the barrel on your rifle? Is it a "stock" rifle or did you have it custom built?

jpw475 Your Browning Highwall is a thing of beauty, on top of that she shoots as well as she looks. How long is the barrel on your rifle? Is it a "stock" rifle or did you have it custom built?
It has the stock barrel and they are 28". Mine started life as a 30-06 and I sent it to JESS Rebore to have him rebore to 35 Whelen.

This is what happens when you work to much, you miss good 35 Whelen posts. I love my 35 Whelen its my go to hunting round. I use 200gn Superformance loads for deer and hogs in the US and the 225gn TSX and 250gn NP in Africa

This is what happens when you work to much, you miss good 35 Whelen posts. I love my 35 Whelen its my go to hunting round. I use 200gn Superformance loads for deer and hogs in the US and the 225gn TSX and 250gn NP in Africa
@Art Lambart II
Don't waste money on the superformance loads mate just get dad to load some sierra 225s or accubond to the same velocity.
Bob

Hello, I bought a 35 Whelan A.I. with three dies, 200 cases and a lot of bullets, many years ago. At that time I had one plan, to rebarrel the Springfield action to 25-06. Then I started to shoot the .35 and noted it would take five cartridges in the magazine and one in the chamber. The barrel (03-A3)and action had been worked by P.O. Ackley and was so smooth, and a friend checkered the underside of the bolt handle, resulting in a rapid fire sequence of 6 shots; meaning 1,500 grains of bullets being sent downrange! It has only required a single shot over the many years to dispatch game cleanly; but the awareness this rifle could really send followup shots downrange FAST has always made this rifle special to me.

I now have a .35 Whelen!! OH YEAH!!!
I finally got around to switching out the .270 barrel on my Savage 111, and replaced it with an E.R. Shaw 24 inch 1 in 14 inch twist, Magnum contour barrel.
It took some elbow grease to get the old barrel off, but I didn’t let it beat me! The next problem was the “GO” & “NO GO” gauges, and getting the bolt to close smoothly. After I got that taken care of, I tested closing the bolt on the “NO GO” gauge, and the bolt close stopped about one third of the way! MAN!! I’m in business now!!!
I’M SO PUMPED!!!
I finally did it!!!
She’s not the most beautiful rifle, but she will be an ass kicker, no doubt!!

Hey Bob!! Check out the pics!!

Word of warning for those amateur gunsmiths, like me, I broke the slotted black housing on the trigger that the accu-trigger rides in. I forgot the position of the trigger when I was torquing the old barrel off.

Hawk
IMG_1451.jpg

IMG_1452.jpg

I now have a .35 Whelen!! OH YEAH!!!
I finally got around to switching out the .270 barrel on my Savage 111, and replaced it with an E.R. Shaw 24 inch 1 in 14 inch twist, Magnum contour barrel.
It took some elbow grease to get the old barrel off, but I didn’t let it beat me! The next problem was the “GO” & “NO GO” gauges, and getting the bolt to close smoothly. After I got that taken care of, I tested closing the bolt on the “NO GO” gauge, and the bolt close stopped about one third of the way! MAN!! I’m in business now!!!
I’M SO PUMPED!!!
I finally did it!!!
She’s not the most beautiful rifle, but she will be an ass kicker, no doubt!!

Hey Bob!! Check out the pics!!

Word of warning for those amateur gunsmiths, like me, I broke the slotted black housing on the trigger that the accu-trigger rides in. I forgot the position of the trigger when I was torquing the old barrel off.

HawkView attachment 424931
View attachment 424932
@hawkeyesatx
Hawk what weight will it be all up?
The 1 in 14 twist is a good compromise and will handle up to 310 grainers.
All you need is some CFE223 and speer 250s and have a shipload of fun. Just hang onto it when you touch it off as you WILL BE in for a surprise.
Bob

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jhonmark007

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg