How many people have a 35 whelen?

Thanks @C.W. Richter The ole .375H&H certainly ranks a little higher on "The Richter Scale', not earth shaking but it's certainly gonna get your attention.
Bob will be along soon, He has an AI Whelen. When the price drops I might consider it

C. W. Richter, while I'm not doubting your numbers, I'm not sure I'd make the same comparisons you did. I get 2730 FPS pushing a 225 Gr. Barnes TSX with 59.5 Gr. of IMR 4064. Bob gets a little more velocity with CFE 223. I have only recovered one bullet. It went through a nice Sable from stem to stern.

C. W. Richter, while I'm not doubting your numbers, I'm not sure I'd make the same comparisons you did. I get 2730 FPS pushing a 225 Gr. Barnes TSX with 59.5 Gr. of IMR 4064. Bob gets a little more velocity with CFE 223. I have only recovered one bullet. It went through a nice Sable from stem to stern.
Yes. A Sable. NOT DG. I shied away from saying things like a little more, bigger, the best, etc. Qualitative BS. Show us the numbers! <rhetorical> It's an 06 case. John Browning is one of my demi-Gods. It works. There are better!

The shooter of a round needs to know it's limitations. -Clint Eastwood

Thanks @C.W. Richter The ole .375H&H certainly ranks a little higher on "The Richter Scale', not earth shaking but it's certainly gonna get your attention.
Bob will be along soon, He has an AI Whelen. When the price drops I might consider it
that's what they called me in high (secondary) school-for pointing out the facts when necess. LOL

Have a couple - one in limited edition Remington model 700 stainless. The other is TC Encore - it's my primitive weapon firearm LOL

love the gun, not the "super"formance-Vs are often quite lower than advertised! I have chrono'ed, even bought the powder-as a result, they got me, and it's on the shelf forever.
@C.W. Richter
THE 35 WHELEN superformance actually lives up to the velocities.
Superformance powder is slightly slower than H4831SC and Reloader 22 in my experience.
Hornady only lists loads for light bullets in some calibers.
My experience with it indicates it can be use in cartridges that use either of the above powders.
Start 3 grains lower than your usual charge and work up.
The usual caveat apply.
In my custom 25 my velocities with 100gn TTSX went from 3,340fps to 3,670fps with what appeared to be similar to lower pressure
Bob

For those comparing the .35 W, 9.3x62, and .375 HH with colorful words, here's some real data: The .358 is quite similar to the .366x62 but neither are close to the .375, not to mention the effect of bullet frontal area on DG wound channels (aka game-stopping damage). I'd stick w/ .375 & up on DG, and using the lower V 350 gr bullets that have a higher SD and penetrate like a .416/400 grainer. The .35W Ackley Improved likely becomes a 9.3. For med-sized non-DG, both are fine. They always called the 06 wildcats "the poor man's magnums," and I tend to agree. The .358 Norma is perfect for Africa-even on big cats (once a fav tiger cartridge, too!) Ackley Improve that .35W! It's just a reamer away...No special tools, no new brass-just fireform, neck size, load and shoot.

View attachment 416452
@C.W. Richter
My opinion is the 35AI is a water of time effort and money the exte 50 to 75fps just isn't worth all the money. A properly loaded Whelen will do me fine for all thin skinned game and in a pinch I would use it on buffalo with a 270gn at 2,500fps.
A 375 it deffinatly ain't and never will be. Used within its parameters it is a DAMN fine cartridge tho.
Bob

esp. those idiots that use .22-250s w/ varmint bullets, .243s w/ 87 gr bullets, etc.-i've recovered many shot by neighbors, far from where the shot was made! lol
Pencilneckvanians! Ha! Ha! Ha!

I do know, for a fact, that if you get the 9.3x62, and load it to modern pressures, I’d say 60k psi, you can get a 250gr bullet going 2715 - 2760fps using RL-17. Now, with the 286gr bullet, you can get it going to 2622 fps. That is well within .375 H&H territory.
One can do the same with the 35 Whelen, using CFE223, you can get the 250gr bullets going to over 2700fps. The 225gr Accubond can go as high as 2850 - 2900 fps! That’s well within .375 H&H territory if you’re using factory ammo .375 H&H ammo.
Which also brings up another interesting subject. Factory ammo very rarely lives up to it’s printed velocities on the box. They usually run 100 - 150fps slower, in real life firearms.

Hawk

C. W. Richter, I couldn't agree with you more. For a known DG hunt my 35 Whelen would be shelved, but then again, so would my 375 H&H. Although it has proven to be adequate for that purpose, my choice for DG would be something that starts with a 4 or better. If limited to a one gun battery I'd most likely go with the 375 H&H.

@C.W. Richter
THE 35 WHELEN superformance actually lives up to the velocities.
Superformance powder is slightly slower than H4831SC and Reloader 22 in my experience.
Hornady only lists loads for light bullets in some calibers.
My experience with it indicates it can be use in cartridges that use either of the above powders.
Start 3 grains lower than your usual charge and work up.
The usual caveat apply.
In my custom 25 my velocities with 100gn TTSX went from 3,340fps to 3,670fps with what appeared to be similar to lower pressure
Bob
Okay I hate to say but please post actual chronograph velocities here so that we may agree with you. I myself possessed several chronographs which in fact call b******* on the company trying to sell that s***. They are in fact so brazen to publish velocities on the side of the f****** powder canister. I am here to tell you that it is total b*******!

Okay I hate to say but please post actual chronograph velocities here so that we may agree with you. I myself possessed several chronographs which in fact call b******* on the company trying to sell that s***. They are in fact so brazen to publish velocities on the side of the f****** powder canister. I am here to tell you that it is total b*******!
@C.W. Richter
Several people on the forum have chronoed the Whelen superformance load and it does what it says.
Bob

35 Whelen is a good cartridge, good enough for any game animal on the American continents. That said, there is not a lot of factory ammo available, and those tend to be 200 gr bullets unless you look hard for the 235s or 250s. Seems like a lot of people don't like getting thumped by their rifles (cue the 6.5 Creedmore fan boys), especially when very feeble cartridges can slay Bambi just fine. For elk, 300 Win Mag rules the roost, but there is plenty of room for the less common cartridges. I have hunted with 7X57 for years, although dabbling with 7mm Rem Mag, 8mm Rem Mag, 338 Win Mag, 375 H&H, and a few really odd oes. All of them kick too hard, but they are great to hunt with in spite of that. So, if you want a 35 Whelen, get one, scratch that itch. It might stick, it might not. But if you don't try it, you will never know, and it will bug you forever. So I say do it!

The 2730 FPS mentioned in my post was a chronographed load. I now have a LabRadar unit and will be using it for all of my load development and testing.
@Shootist43
All my loads for my center fires are chronoed as well and I use it for working up loads so I know exactly what they are doing.
I even chrono my 22lr ammo th make sure it is going to do the job for my son target shooting .
Both Winchester T22 and Browning bulk box ammo are most consistent at 1070fps for his rifle.
Bob

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jenniferlaw003

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg