How many people have a 35 whelen?

@C.W. Richter
THE 35 WHELEN superformance actually lives up to the velocities.
Superformance powder is slightly slower than H4831SC and Reloader 22 in my experience.
Hornady only lists loads for light bullets in some calibers.
My experience with it indicates it can be use in cartridges that use either of the above powders.
Start 3 grains lower than your usual charge and work up.
The usual caveat apply.
In my custom 25 my velocities with 100gn TTSX went from 3,340fps to 3,670fps with what appeared to be similar to lower pressure
Bob
Okay I hate to say but please post actual chronograph velocities here so that we may agree with you. I myself possessed several chronographs which in fact call b******* on the company trying to sell that s***
@C.W. Richter
Several people on the forum have chronoed the Whelen superformance load and it does what it says.
Bob
I don't have a 35W but it was several hundred feet per second off the mark in a 22-250

I will reiterate. When I was putting together my Alaskan Guide Rifle I put a 19" barrel on a Mauser 98 action in .35 Whelan. Why? Because 5 rds of 250 gr at 2500 fps equals a metric shit ton more horsepower than 3 rd of 250 gr at 2650 fps when one is following a blood trail into an alder patch.
The fact that you are going in closer to something that may be intent upon killing you means you will get less shots off and therefore should opt for something larger bored and controllable vs. praying for magazine capacity and volume of fire to save you.
contradict me, iffen you have the experience.
In my experience, I haven't seen too many folks who could run a bolt gun dry in any kind of admirable fashion. Those that do generally have the phrase "on closing" in their vocabulary and aren't dismounting the gun to cycle the action. I'd like to see those five shots done fast and accurate. Remember you have to get your hits and those hits must be hard enough to slow the animal to pour on more lead. Otherwise, it escapes or overruns you. Remember also that for every cycling of the action there is a chance to bind it up, so bring enough power to get the job done quickly. That said, I'll take four rounds of .375 over six rounds of .35 because I'm likely not going to run either gun dry. If I should get to that point, I'll calmly reload and be further ahead in the sorting out with the heavier caliber. The last thing I'd consider is the split times for shot to shot recovery. It's negligible between a .35 and a .375, but pronounced enough with a .458 or .500 to the point where a lighter caliber could definitely get more total energy on target in a given engagement period.
I have a 35 Whelen Ruger #1 but it’s getting re barreled to 6.5 CM. I’m a Whelen nut as well but for me the 400 Whelen is the true monster killer, .410 400gr Woodleigh RN @ 2150fps, my Winchester M70 has a Blackburn drop magazine and holds 6 down …… A 450-400 4” performance out of a magazine rifle = Whelen magic!
Wait for it ...
@Rell
That's is the worst crime I have come across. Sell that No1 in 35 Whelen and buy a manbun. Someone here would love that No1
The only other crime I can think of that is worse is having a beautiful little Ruger in 250 Savage and rebarreling it to shame one me me for saying it a 243.
Both crimes should result in a public flogging and doomed to hunt nothing but paper targets.
Ha ha ha
Bob
There he is! You forgot to rant about tomato stakes...
Okay I hate to say but please post actual chronograph velocities here so that we may agree with you. I myself possessed several chronographs which in fact call b******* on the company trying to sell that s***

I don't have a 35W but it was several hundred feet per second off the mark in a 22-250
For sure! I'd like to see the magic captured for posterity on one of them dij-eet-tall feau-toe-giraffes. Just to keep things honest and all...

I have a 35 Whelen Ruger #1 but it’s getting re barreled to 6.5 CM. I’m a Whelen nut as well...
I beg of you to sell the 35 Whelen and not desecrate such a fine rifle in "rare" caliber. I would venture a fair number of takers would be interested on this very forum. You can buy 6.5 CM almost anywhere, in a variety of platforms, if you want have one. It's about the equivalent of converting a 7mm Mag to a .223, probably even worse.

*Bob Nelson, do not read below this line. It will only disappoint you*

I do own a 6.5 CM. It's a reasonable option for long ranges and small game, and easy to shoot. Nothing wrong with them at all. ... But again, I can't imagine converting a No.1 in 35 Whelen (or any other uncommon, quality caliber) to something so boring.

Yep, Manbuns are available anywhere I'm many configurations.
If it doesn't group see if there is a reason why is it as simple as taking an inch off and recrowning it?

Rebarrell to a .280ai, effective, easy to shoot and worthy of being a hunting cartridge. In a hunting platform.

I sent it to LTD in CT, had it restocked, bedded, tension forend hanger added, recrowned … the works. Shoots like a piece of crap! As the hood Colonel is said to have uttered, “ Only accurate rifles are interesting” Can’t in good consciousness sell it as is and I want a Ruger #1 in 6.5CM with 26 inch barrel, sights and barrel band swivel. Perfect to shoot bushbucks. I’ve shoot 77 at last count and looking for 23 more to get a century of bushbucks.

I have a 280 AI, 400 Whelen (ie the real Whelen!), 270, 3306 and 9.3x62.

Instead of throwing the first stone, why don’t all you baby Whelen fans step up to the big leagues and rebarrel all those pea shooters to .410 and shoot 300-400gr bullets at 2100fps. You know, like real men!

D4DBCBEB-F1C0-44D0-AC19-36D77BFCDC64.jpeg

left is a fired and FL sized 9.3x62 and right is a fired unsized 30-06. The 9.3 has considerably less taper and is longer to the shoulder. Expanding the 30-06 to 35 caliber isn’t going to make up much difference in capacity. When loading to 3.365” OAL in a 22” barrel I can push 250gr bullets to 2630fps and 286gr bullets to 2510 with no pressure signs.
Neither cartridge is magic; it takes powder capacity, barrel length, and pressure to make velocity.

I sent it to LTD in CT, had it restocked, bedded, tension forend hanger added, recrowned … the works. Shoots like a piece of crap! As the hood Colonel is said to have uttered, “ Only accurate rifles are interesting” Can’t in good consciousness sell it as is and I want a Ruger #1 in 6.5CM with 26 inch barrel, sights and barrel band swivel. Perfect to shoot bushbucks. I’ve shoot 77 at last count and looking for 23 more to get a century of bushbucks.

I have a 280 AI, 400 Whelen (ie the real Whelen!), 270, 3306 and 9.3x62.

Instead of throwing the first stone, why don’t all you baby Whelen fans step up to the big leagues and rebarrel all those pea shooters to .410 and shoot 300-400gr bullets at 2100fps. You know, like real men!
I love it! We got a "real" Whelen nut taunting those touting the Whelen that actually headspaces worth a darn. Where's the popcorn?

Seriously though are you in the US? What do you want for the Whelen? I'll bet I can make it shoot and I'll have something for Bob when he comes to visit.

I’m in NY, happy to let it go for $3,500 USD or so. About what I have in it. I’m not a master reloader/tinkerer, but I’ve been playing in my dads reloading room since I was 12. I really did try everything. It’s a lemon. I also had Mitch at LTD (Ruger custom shop) work on it and ….

The 400 Whelen has taken five buff so far and at least a dozen black bears on my farm in Quebec. No headspace or feeding issue. It’s what a real whelen should be.

aka the Hammer of Thor!

I’m in NY, happy to let it go for $3,500 USD or so. About what I have in it. I’m not a master reloader/tinkerer, but I’ve been playing in my dads reloading room since I was 12. I really did try everything. It’s a lemon. I also had Mitch at LTD (Ruger custom shop) work on it and ….

The 400 Whelen has taken five buff so far and at least a dozen black bears on my farm in Quebec. No headspace or feeding issue. It’s what a real whelen should be.

aka the Hammer of Thor!
I just picked up a 400 W built on a 1903. I have basic brass on the way but no idea what chamber it may be? Quick photo but the brake will come off and if it needs a thread cut off and the Griffin and Howe/ Pertov reamer run in I'll get it done. If you have any tips or tricks with this thing I'd appreciate (read love) a PM as not to derail this thread. John
Snapchat-1722665671.jpg

Holy Toledo Batman! That's expensive lemonade! Best of luck with that manbun. That's some serious good money after bad. Can't save 'em all.

Well @Bob Nelson 35Whelen , I guess you'll have to use the 2-4-3 when you come by mate. Har! Har! Plant those toe-mah-toes!

Holy Toledo Batman! That's expensive lemonade! Best of luck with that manbun. That's some serious good money after bad. Can't save 'em all.

Well @Bob Nelson 35Whelen , I guess you'll have to use the 2-4-3 when you come by mate. Har! Har! Plant those toe-mah-toes!
@Forrest Halley
It's holy snappin duckshit Batman you Muppet. If'n they has a 243 I don't bother swinging by as I don't need any more tomato stakes.
Bob

Little late to the party...

Ever since I was a teen, I had wanted a 35 Whelen. Loved reading about it. As an adult, I took my first rifle, an ugly parkerized, sporterized Mauser 98 in 30-06 and put a $90 midway special 35W barrel on it. Tried several factory loads and handloading several different bullets and couldn't get anything to shoot much better then 2-3 moa.

Stumbled on a used 35W Cooper 52 Classic last year that I could afford. It shoots the few bullets I've tried, 5 into an inch. The 250gr Speer hot cors at 2,450f/s shot a little under an inch and that's what I used last year to take a couple whitetails in MO.

For me, the 338 and 375 bores, along with the 35 kills more definitively than the smaller bores. I've had several deer hit well with that 30-06 that run a little ways, none so far with the bigger bores. My hunting partner and I even went the other way to 6.5mm and were disappointed.

I've not been able to get to Africa yet, but if I do, I'll not take anything smaller than my 338 Winchester as I know even the smaller species are tougher there!

Edit: now if I can just get a deer with my Lott rifle!

I have used a .35 Whelen for about 30 years as my "bigger than deer" hunting rifle. Mostly elk, some moose, caribou and such. It was a definite step up from .308, 30-06, 7x57 etc. performance. I like how it shoots completely through big critters with heavy bones, and usually exits. I mostly used 250 grain bullets at 2500 fps, hand loaded with IMR4064 or RL 15 powder. I especially liked Speer Grand Slam bullets in this cartridge, but even lowly Hornadys worked OK. I almost never shoot at an animal over 250 M away. Most are 100 or so. Perfect performance with that combination. Except for deer. The big tough 250 grain bullets that I like were not quick killers on the few deer I shot with them. A .308 / 150 gr. would kill deer quicker. For rifles, I started with a Remington 700, graduated to a Ruger #1, and settled on a Sako AV classic with custom barrel.
I have since moved to the 9.3x62 which is a little better for bigger African animals, and the 9.3x74R which is necessary for my double rifle. And a .375 for dangerous game. But I'll always keep that Sako .35 Whelen. I have lately decided to turn it into a "long range" ( for me) 250-400 yard rifle with the new CFE223 powder and Barnes TTSX 200 grain bullets. Should work I expect.

I just got the Shaw barrel kit in .35 Whelen, and when I get better from my surgery, I am sooooo changing the barrel and making a beast out of my Savage 111 Trophy Hunter XP!

I will be happier than a pig in slop!

Hawk

I have used a .35 Whelen for about 30 years as my "bigger than deer" hunting rifle. Mostly elk, some moose, caribou and such. It was a definite step up from .308, 30-06, 7x57 etc. performance. I like how it shoots completely through big critters with heavy bones, and usually exits. I mostly used 250 grain bullets at 2500 fps, hand loaded with IMR4064 or RL 15 powder. I especially liked Speer Grand Slam bullets in this cartridge, but even lowly Hornadys worked OK. I almost never shoot at an animal over 250 M away. Most are 100 or so. Perfect performance with that combination. Except for deer. The big tough 250 grain bullets that I like were not quick killers on the few deer I shot with them. A .308 / 150 gr. would kill deer quicker. For rifles, I started with a Remington 700, graduated to a Ruger #1, and settled on a Sako AV classic with custom barrel.
I have since moved to the 9.3x62 which is a little better for bigger African animals, and the 9.3x74R which is necessary for my double rifle. And a .375 for dangerous game. But I'll always keep that Sako .35 Whelen. I have lately decided to turn it into a "long range" ( for me) 250-400 yard rifle with the new CFE223 powder and Barnes TTSX 200 grain bullets. Should work I expect.
@Longwalker
If they don't work try the 225gn accubond with cfe223 and work up from 61 grains to 64 grain to get 2,900fps. That's a serious flat load that still give close to 2,000 fpe at 400 yards snd shoots flatter than the 308s with 150s
Bob

I just got the Shaw barrel kit in .35 Whelen, and when I get better from my surgery, I am sooooo changing the barrel and making a beast out of my Savage 111 Trophy Hunter XP!

I will be happier than a pig in slop!

Hawk
@hawkeyesatx
You will find it is almost the most fun you can have with your clothes on.
Bob

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MUABritney

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross