How do you feel about using a quality straight 6 power scope for plains game on my 300H&H M70?

Spike t , Did you like the Schmitt and Bender 6 power?

I haven't used it in Africa, but I have had an S&B 6x42mm for decades on a 300 Weatherby and find it to have been an excellent optic. The reticle is the one similar to German #4 but with a circle around the thin crosshair.

Welcome to AH !

6x is too much for me, my African scope goes from 1-4x

I feel fine with you using the straight 6 ... I would prefer a low power variable.

I keep my zoom set at 6 power and maybe move off of 6 power, up or down 20% of the time. So unless, something is 50 feet in front of you 6 power should be fine.

I have a variable 4-12x power scope on my rifle and usually leave it set at 8x. The only time I wound it down was for a close range Wildebeest in the bush.
Therefore my variable power is used as a set power so I would say that if you are happy with your scope and shoot well with your set up and are used to it, don't change what ain't broken.

I have a variable 4-12x power scope on my rifle and usually leave it set at 8x. The only time I wound it down was for a close range Wildebeest in the bush.
Therefore my variable power is used as a set power so I would say that if you are happy with your scope and shoot well with your set up and are used to it, don't change what ain't broken.
Thanks ,it is a new st up for me ,I will m
be spending a lot of time with it . I value your opinion.

I think your setup is great. I spent my first 20 years of hunting with a fixed 4x scope and never had an issue. I'm not sure that this is the reason I am very uncomfortable shooting my variables higher than 6x or if it's just my eyes. I have never shot at game with my scope set at 7x or higher. I will turn it down lower with no issues. My PH in Namibia said that he appreciated the fact that I put my scope on 5x and left it there. He doesn't like the time wasted when hunters would fiddle with their scopes when targeting an alert animal!

Welcome to AH 1903a3.....I have 1.5x6 SB on one of my 375's I think you will be fine, as others said you will likely be on plains game 40m and out 6 power should not be too restrictive field of view. If you don't already own a SB you're in for a treat.
Cheers
pat

I am 55 and financially getting to where ,it's going to be possible, getting my kidney problem resolved and getting equipment squared away , what binoculars would you recommend for a plains game safari?

I took a pair of Zeiss Terrex ED binoculars to Africa last August. Truth be told, I don't ever recall using them. My PH spotted the game for me and then told me where to look through my scope, providing there was something to look at. I was 72 at the time and my vision even with glasses was not up to par. But the major factor in him doing the spotting is that he knew where to look and what to look for. While he was looking "behind" the brush all I could see was the "brush." That is, until he "pointed" the game out to me. When shootable game was in sight, My PH wanted me looking through my scope and not a pair of field glasses. Had we been hunting open areas rather than the bush veldt there would have been more need for me to have and use a good pair of binoculars.

I am 55 and financially getting to where ,it's going to be possible, getting my kidney problem resolved and getting equipment squared away , what binoculars would you recommend for a plains game safari?
I use a pair of Minox 10x42. Nothing special or fancy, decent glass and good value.

Hi Rem1903a3,

Any brand of binocular that is clear and within the range of about 8 power x 30 mm front lenses, through about 10 power x 42 mm, seems to be just right, IMO.
Leupold has over the years, made some affordable ones within those specs that are very serviceable for Africa.
But, if you want the best of the best, it is the Swarovski 10 x 42 EL model with "Swaro-Vision" lens coatings, again IMO.
That lens coating name is goofy however, these glasses are incredibly clear.

Leica is another very best quality maker.
I have heard others say that Meopta is an excellent binocular and reasonably priced.
And the same for Minox, including Adrian's vote on them.
The best ones will pay for themselves during the last light, on the last day of your expensive safari, when you just know you saw something move, 300 yards down in that dark canyon below you.

There are those here who are happy enough not carrying binoculars of any sort.
I am not one of these, as it seems every time we stop moving I am scanning for game in the thorn, or among the boulders or on the next ridge, etc.
When loitering around camp, I keep them handy to get a close up look at lizards, birds and primates.
But, one man's bread is another man's poison.
So, I don't think it's always a mistake for some folks to leave their binoculars at home when visiting Africa, but it would be a huge mistake for me to leave mine at home.

Cheers,
Velo Dog.

I took a pair of Zeiss Terrex ED binoculars to Africa last August. Truth be told, I don't ever recall using them. My PH spotted the game for me and then told me where to look through my scope, providing there was something to look at. I was 72 at the time and my vision even with glasses was not up to par. But the major factor in him doing the spotting is that he knew where to look and what to look for. While he was looking "behind" the brush all I could see was the "brush." That is, until he "pointed" the game out to me. When shootable game was in sight, My PH wanted me looking through my scope and not a pair of field glasses. Had we been hunting open areas rather than the bush veldt there would have been more need for me to have and use a good pair of binoculars.
Thanks

Hi Rem1903a3,

Any brand of binocular that is clear and within the range of about 8 power x 30 mm front lenses, through about 10 power x 42 mm, seems to be just right, IMO.
Leupold has over the years, made some affordable ones within those specs that are very serviceable for Africa.
But, if you want the best of the best, it is the Swarovski 10 x 42 EL model with "Swaro-Vision" lens coatings, again IMO.
That lens coating name is goofy however, these glasses are incredibly clear.

Leica is another very best quality maker.
I have heard others say that Meopta is an excellent binocular and reasonably priced.
And the same for Minox, including Adrian's vote on them.
The best ones will pay for themselves during the last light, on the last day of your expensive safari, when you just know you saw something move, 300 yards down in that dark canyon below you.

There are those here who are happy enough not carrying binoculars of any sort.
I am not one of these, as it seems every time we stop moving I am scanning for game in the thorn, or among the boulders or on the next ridge, etc.
When loitering around camp, I keep them handy to get a close up look at lizards, birds and primates.
But, one man's bread is another man's poison.
So, I don't think it's always a mistake for some folks to leave their binoculars at home when visiting Africa, but it would be a huge mistake for me to leave mine at home.

Cheers,
Velo Dog.
Thanks

forget what anyone says about not using/needing binos or you will miss out on a lot of things. buy the best you can afford and you dont need to break the bank to get a decent pair for what you need. i use the older version of these and they are fairly compact and work well .

http://www.opticsplanet.com/steiner-10x32-xc-binoculars.html

not a veteran of safaris, but both caliber and scope should work based on my experience. used 300 wm for pg hunt and it did very well. most pg shots are further away, so the 6X should be fine as well.

post back how the super-30 does. have acquired one since my last adventure and plan to take it on "the next one".

My first paid hunt in RSA I used a Zeiss 6x42 with #4 reticle on a .308w and would do so again. Currently running an early Jap Tasco 6x40 on a .300 weatherby for midday hunting. Your S&B will be fine.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jhonmark007

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg