How do you feel about using a quality straight 6 power scope for plains game on my 300H&H M70?

I have used a Leupold 6x42 and Meopta 6x42 on various rifles for years and have shot deer from under 10 yards to over 300 yards with no problems. I just picked up a Browning High Power Safari Grade in .300 H&H Magnum and will be mounting a Leupold FX-II 6x36 with a German #1 reticle on it and hope to take it to Africa for Leopard and plains game

There are three important factors to take into account, i.e., caliber (of the firearm), animal species (that you're hunting) and habitat (where you're hunting).

Recommended fixed hunting rifle scope magnification for a client:

- 4x

Recommended adjustable hunting rifle scope magnification for a client:

- 3-9x

Besides the above mentioned factors its also important to use a good quality optic.

But the secret to a successful combination is lots of practise. Goodluck.

A fixed 6x power scope will be just fine on your rifle.
put in some practice at varying distances from 50yds out to as far as you feel comfortable and you will be fine. On my variable power scopes, I seldom move them once a hunt starts. My 300wm sits on either 6x or 8x depending on where I am. I rarely fiddle with the magnification on a trip.
I use 10x when sighting in just because I have it.
I am currently thinking of whether to put a 4x or 6x on my 333 in the near future. Leaning towards a 4x.
Way back when I was hunting with my dad, I must've been about 14 or so. He had a 4x on the same 300wm and shooting out several hundred meters is not as hard as many make out.
for many people, the less movement on the crosshairs in relation to the animal, the better the shot.

Welcome aboard!

not a veteran of safaris, but both caliber and scope should work based on my experience. used 300 wm for pg hunt and it did very well. most pg shots are further away, so the 6X should be fine as well.

post back how the super-30 does. have acquired one since my last adventure and plan to take it on "the next one".
Will do.

I am currently in a 5 day a week dry fire practice regime , shooting once a week ,some times once every two week .working 6days a week .I will be setting up Jeff Coopers Rifle Bounce and Rifle Ten drills to supplement my rifle bullseye practice.

I am actually of the opposite opinion of most in this thread.

Sure, a fixed 6x will work on a typical plains game hunt, no doubt about it, especially in the bushveld or thick mopane forests. But the 300 H&H is capable of SOOOOO much more. People take some really long shots in the east cape region or deserts of Namibia. If you are hurling a 180gr projectile downrange at over 3000 ft/s, that rifle can actually utilize as much magnification as you can get. I took an aoudad cross-canyon at 450 yards with my 300 H&H and had to use ever bit of my 3-18x50 scope to do it. If you want to put a bigger optic on it, I say do it because the cartridge is worthy of it.

300 H&H, pre-64 M70, Leupold VX6, McMillan stock, Rifle Basix trigger. Still shooting sub MOA with original barrel!!!!

Attachments

• 300HampH%203.jpg
    300HampH%203.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 637
Thanks for the advise , I love the high magnification on the rifle while working up loads a shooting small objects to prove it's abilities,pill bottles at 200 yards .But I prefer a slimmer no worry fixed power on a rifle I am walking with. As a service rifle competitor we routinely shoot 600 yards with appiture rear sights and a post front .

I am 55 and financially getting to where ,it's going to be possible, getting my kidney problem resolved and getting equipment squared away , what binoculars would you recommend for a plains game safari?

Hi Rem,

My take is: something relatively light. Walking all day with big glass gets heavy. I'm a huge fan of 8x32 and 10x32 binoculars. It just depends on the distances you might be hunting. For the most part, I carried 8x32's on stalks and left the 10x32's with my wife in the Bakkie.

As to which is best? That really comes down to your eyes. I really liked the Zeiss Victory line up while I was wearing glasses. Since getting my eyes lazer'd I prefer Leica. On the other hand, my Zeiss are paid for. :)

I am currently in glasses after 37 years in contacts ,the contacts are not an option any longer . I was wondering about binocular use with eye glasses .Why was the Zeiss better?

I am actually of the opposite opinion of most in this thread.

Sure, a fixed 6x will work on a typical plains game hunt, no doubt about it, especially in the bushveld or thick mopane forests. But the 300 H&H is capable of SOOOOO much more. People take some really long shots in the east cape region or deserts of Namibia. If you are hurling a 180gr projectile downrange at over 3000 ft/s, that rifle can actually utilize as much magnification as you can get. I took an aoudad cross-canyon at 450 yards with my 300 H&H and had to use ever bit of my 3-18x50 scope to do it. If you want to put a bigger optic on it, I say do it because the cartridge is worthy of it.

300 H&H, pre-64 M70, Leupold VX6, McMillan stock, Rifle Basix trigger. Still shooting sub MOA with original barrel!!!!

That is a beautiful package,how do you like that sling ?I put one one my 6.5x53r Manlicher sported ,but it has yet to be in the field since I purchased it .

I am currently in glasses after 37 years in contacts ,the contacts are not an option any longer . I was wondering about binocular use with eye glasses .Why was the Zeiss better?

Eye relief.

Really, that's it.

The Zeiss Victory has juuuust a smidge more eye relief than Leica and Swaro. I think it's only like 2mm but it's a big difference. At the time I bought my Leica 10x42 Ultravid HD's, they barely worked when I was wearing my glasses. That's with the cups twisted down. On the Zeiss, well, they were simply so much more forgiving with the eye relief. That extra 2mm meant I could keep them off the lenses of my glasses. It's funny, I had read about the eye relief difference but what I was actually looking for at the time was the lightest 8x32 I could get and the Zeiss won by maybe an ounce. The secondary effect was discovering the eye relief part.

Now, yes, you can of course adjust the Bins to work without glasses but that was a PITA. My eyes were bad - as in, can't see beyond maybe 6 inches to read. I was so near sighted I could read the words in a bank check signature line unaided (*it's not a line, btw...) Forget watching the TV, just blurs and colored blobs. I've worn glasses since I was 6 years old.

Anyway, the Leica's are ever so slightly sharper, the coatings are designed to enhance contrast and they work better in low light not by being brighter but by adding contrast to the color in the animal spectrum (i.e.: what an animal looks like in the shadows). The Zeiss are brighter, have better color but aren't quite as razor sharp (It's brutally close...were talking like a 9.8 vs 9.5 out of 10 here) and don't have the edge in contrast.

BUT, the Zeiss have eye relief. In practical hunting, not having to take off sunglasses or glasses when hunting (*Particularly in broad daylight Africa) the Zeiss have a real, practical edge.

This was a review I found that was extremely helpful at the time. Gotta hand it to the birdwatchers. :)
http://www.birdwatching.com/optics/2010midsizebins/index.html

Here's the chart.
http://www.birdwatching.com/optics/2010midsizebins/chart_main.html

check out the column for eye relief.

Last edited:
OH! forgot to mention.

Zeiss Victory scopes have horrible eye relief. LOL! I'm amazed their Bins are so wonderful...and their scopes were an utter fail for me on the eye relief front.

Go figure.

Eye relief.

Really, that's it.

The Zeiss Victory has juuuust a smidge more eye relief than Leica and Swaro. I think it's only like 2mm but it's a big difference. At the time I bought my Leica 10x42 Ultravid HD's, they barely worked when I was wearing my glasses. That's with the cups twisted down. On the Zeiss, well, they were simply so much more forgiving with the eye relief. That extra 2mm meant I could keep them off the lenses of my glasses. It's funny, I had read about the eye relief difference but what I was actually looking for at the time was the lightest 8x32 I could get and the Zeiss won by maybe an ounce. The secondary effect was discovering the eye relief part.

Now, yes, you can of course adjust the Bins to work without glasses but that was a PITA. My eyes were bad - as in, can't see beyond maybe 6 inches to read. I was so near sighted I could read the words in a bank check signature line unaided (*it's not a line, btw...) Forget watching the TV, just blurs and colored blobs. I've worn glasses since I was 6 years old.

Anyway, the Leica's are ever so slightly sharper, the coatings are designed to enhance contrast and they work better in low light not by being brighter but by adding contrast to the color in the animal spectrum (i.e.: what an animal looks like in the shadows). The Zeiss are brighter, have better color but aren't quite as razor sharp (It's brutally close...were talking like a 9.8 vs 9.5 out of 10 here) and don't have the edge in contrast.

BUT, the Zeiss have eye relief. In practical hunting, not having to take off sunglasses or glasses when hunting (*Particularly in broad daylight Africa) the Zeiss have a real, practical edge.
Thank you for taking the time to explain that ,I will look further into this and buy intelligently .

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoelKalman

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg