Hotel stay while laying over in Abu Dhabi- input please..

cpr0312

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Australia/NZ
Member of
NRA Life Member
Hunted
US (All over), New Zealand, South Africa(Northern Cape, Eastern Cape, Free State, Northwest), Zimbabwe, Zambia, Tanzania, Uganda
I know I have read a few posts over the years about the long layover in Abu Dhabi and the option to stay in an airport hotel.

For those of you who have done this and have had the 9-13 hour layovers, what hotel did you stay at(inside the airport or just outside)?

I guess for me I would prefer to stay inside in order not to have to clear security again. Anyways, flying Etihad with a almost 13 hour layover, so wanted to get some input her. As my layover will be overnight, I have no desire to go explore the area, just looking for best option to sleep and shower.

Thanks in advance!

It's not cheap, but there is a hotel in the airport and on the security side. You'll have to pass thru security regardless after you arrive and go to your connecting gate. That's just how things are now.

The hotel in the airport isn't cheap by any means, I think we paid $200 for a night. However, there is a 24 hour restaurant in the hotel. With that long of a layover, you may be hungry when you arrive as well as the next day. The service as well as the rooms themselves are impeccable. Someone will meet you when you come into the airport off your flight and get you to your room. In the morning when you check out, they will see you get to your gate too.

Again not cheap, but as hassle free as it gets.

When I visited Dubai in 2012 .... I stayed in Hyatt Hotel . Their service is really 1st rate .

Thanks Phil and Major!

At least one answer above deals with Dubai and you don't want to travel to Dubai to sleep while in transit at Abu Dhabi.

I have flown Etihad and had a long layover at night in Abu Dhabi. Etihad put me up in a very nice hotel for free. Sorry but I don't know how it was branded. It was on an island near the Formula 1 track. You may check to see if they still do that.

When and where are you hunting?

Charles I hope you have a good ride. Where are you catching this particular Airline?

At least one answer above deals with Dubai and you don't want to travel to Dubai to sleep while in transit at Abu Dhabi.

I have flown Etihad and had a long layover at night in Abu Dhabi. Etihad put me up in a very nice hotel for free. Sorry but I don't know how it was branded. It was on an island near the Formula 1 track. You may check to see if they still do that.

I'm still holding out hope for this August with this covid mess. I'm in a group hunt with @KMG Hunting Safaris

Charles I hope you have a good ride. Where are you catching this particular Airline?

Charlie,

Clt to JFK, then on Etihad the rest of the way

In Dubai the past few years I napped then showered in a lounge most of the time. Free food and booze.

Hope you can do this trip..........safely. Check TripAdvisor, they list several hotel within or at the airport.

@Wheels , does your checked bag remain checked on this long layover? Just need to plan for a carry on bag also for a change of clothes and toiletries is that's the case.

@Wheels , does your checked bag remain checked on this long layover? Just need to plan for a carry on bag also for a change of clothes and toiletries is that's the case.

There was no picking up checked luggage. I was in transit while there.

A side benefit was that we all cleared US Customs in Abu Dhabi prior to boarding for the flight home. When we arrived in America we just went to the luggage carousel and bypassed customs. On that trip I was just traveling back from Tanzania and had no firearms.

On the outbound leg there was only a short layover so no need to get a room.

There was no picking up checked luggage. I was in transit while there.

A side benefit was that we all cleared US Customs in Abu Dhabi prior to boarding for the flight home. When we arrived in America we just went to the luggage carousel and bypassed customs. On that trip I was just traveling back from Tanzania and had no firearms.

On the outbound leg there was only a short layover so no need to get a room.

Thanks @Wheels , sounds good!

Charles,

Sorry but my reply was written with Dubai in mind, not Abu Dhabi. So with egg on my face, please disregard.

Charles,

Sorry but my reply was written with Dubai in mind, not Abu Dhabi. So with egg on my face, please disregard.

No worries Phil! I am actually going over through Dubai and back through Abu Dhabi.

I suggest staying at the airport hotel just across the road from the terminal exit; on a 13 hours layover, it takes 30-40 min to get to Abu-Dhabi downtown, more if during rush hour, and you need to be at the airport a couple of hours before going through the formalities (if you are flying to the US there is a special terminal where you can clear US custom and fly to a none entry airport directly), however the closer to the airport, away from the city just before the Maqta bridge (15-20 min from the airport), is the Shangrila. For a layover you should make arrangements, normally for 13 hours or close they will charge you the daily rate; in general in the Gulf hotels are not cheap, 5 stars single room, starts at 1,200-1,500 Dhs (3.67 to the USD fixed rate) all taxes included.
Near Sheik Zayez sport city (another 20-30 min from the airport), there are a Forte (used to be) and an Holiday Inn, slightly cheaper and comfortable.

Yas Island?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AngelinaVa

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you