Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SCI Badgerland Chapter, NRA, Local Sportsmen's Club
Hunted
South Africa, Tanzania
I'm guessing that many US members of AH practice concealed carry, so I though that this was a good place to get advice on a specific holster:

Does anyone have experience with and a recommendation for a small-of-the-back holster for a Browning Hi-Power?

I'm really looking for input from folks that carry Hi-Powers.

Thanks,

browningbbr

Are you looking for Kydex or leather holster? Also, I would not recommend a small-of-the-back holster, too many chances for injury if you fell down on your back.

If leather I'd recommend https://www.miltsparks.com/index.php

I have been very happy with their holsters.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-03-19 at 2.13.58 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-03-19 at 2.13.58 PM.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 106
  • Screen Shot 2020-03-19 at 2.14.00 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-03-19 at 2.14.00 PM.png
    2.7 MB · Views: 89
I had a Galco SOB (Small Of Back) about 30 years ago for a compact 1911.
It wasn't comfortable or concealable at all.
The firearm/holster combo was too heavy and pulled the back of my pants down.
It was also awkward to clear leather cleanly without sweeping my own body with the muzzle.
I would not recommend it as a first option for concealed carry.
Especially for a full sized auto weighing over 2#, hanging on the back of your pants.

If you insist on SOB carry and are OK with a Kydex, check out Blade Tech.
At least with this holster you can rotate it to another carry position if you don't like the SOB.
https://blade-tech.com/collections/holster-finder/products/classic-owb?variant=6067199016988

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-03-19 at 2.14.36 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-03-19 at 2.14.36 PM.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 100
  • Screen Shot 2020-03-19 at 2.14.38 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-03-19 at 2.14.38 PM.png
    938.3 KB · Views: 88
  • Screen Shot 2020-03-19 at 2.14.40 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-03-19 at 2.14.40 PM.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 88
Thanks to both of you. Both suggested holsters look excellent. Maybe I should look to something other than SOB.

I've been carrying an M&P Shield 9mm in a kydex holster for quite a while, but my wife just picked up her CC license and her XD9 is too big for her to conceal, so I can see my M&P migrating to her purse....

I've always preferred my Hi-Power, but never ran across an outside the belt holster that rides high enough. Both recommendations look good for this.

browningbbr

Thanks to both of you. Both suggested holsters look excellent. Maybe I should look to something other than SOB.

I've been carrying an M&P Shield 9mm in a kydex holster for quite a while, but my wife just picked up her CC license and her XD9 is too big for her to conceal, so I can see my M&P migrating to her purse....

I've always preferred my Hi-Power, but never ran across an outside the belt holster that rides high enough. Both recommendations look good for this.

browningbbr
My wife and I both have SA XD-M9.
Mine is a full size grip and 4.5" barrel, hers is compact with 3.8 barrel.
We both carry strong side, OWB straight drop.
Galco AV440B is on my hip as we speak.
Affordable and comfortable for both of us.
Recommend a proper 1 3/4" leather gunbelt from Galco to match.
It will center the holster and fill the belt loops.

I'm not a big guy, 5'10" and 150# and can conceal with a loose t-shirt.
Although I prefer a collared shirt over the t-shirt.
T-shirt protects me from the pistol, collared shirt for concealment.
Wife has no problem doing the same.

browningbbr

Sounds like a good excuse to buy a new gun to me.

I have an XDs that I like quite a bit. If she is already familiar with the XD maybe buy an XDs to see if she likes that.

Thanks for the XD advice, but I should have added that my wife's XD9 kinda has a permanent home: I mounted a Veridian laser / light on it and bought the Veridian holster that turns the light on when the weapon is removed. Then I mounted the holster to the bed frame on her side of the bed. She only has to reach down to access it. In addition to the security system, it provides an added level of comfort when I travel.

Also - No, there are no kids in the house. Yes, if I'm out late, I call before I come home!

Thanks for the XD advice, but I should have added that my wife's XD9 kinda has a permanent home: I mounted a Veridian laser / light on it and bought the Veridian holster that turns the light on when the weapon is removed. Then I mounted the holster to the bed frame on her side of the bed. She only has to reach down to access it. In addition to the security system, it provides an added level of comfort when I travel.

Also - No, there are no kids in the house. Yes, if I'm out late, I call before I come home!

I put the Crimson Trace laser/strobe combination on my XDs. The strobe is really bright but not to the point of blinding me while in use.

Look at Crossbreed holsters I love mine and they make many different styles and types but before you buy a holster buy a high quality gun belt. Gun belts make all the difference in the fit and feel of a holster.

I used a Bianchi Askins style holster for my hi power. It’s an outside waistband holster but rides pretty high so conceals ok under a vest or jacket.

If you want to go inside waist band the Milt Sparks Summer Special is comfortable and very durable. I’ve used one for a Glock 26 for 7 or 8 years and highly recommend it.

The thing about carry guns and holsters is you’ll try several different combinations before you find the perfect one for your lifestyle, body shape, etc ....... Good Luck on your journey.

I used a Bianchi Askins style holster for my hi power. It’s an outside waistband holster but rides pretty high so conceals ok under a vest or jacket.

If you want to go inside waist band the Milt Sparks Summer Special is comfortable and very durable. I’ve used one for a Glock 26 for 7 or 8 years and highly recommend it.

The thing about carry guns and holsters is you’ll try several different combinations before you find the perfect one for your lifestyle, body shape, etc ....... Good Luck on your journey.

Fellow Minutemen and Defenders of Truth,

Although I don’t generally carry a Browning P35 (“Hi-Power”), I am +1 with DG870’s thoughts on this topic.

My daily carry guns include a SIG P226 .357 SIG, (recently sold my old P226 .40), a custom 1911 .45 ACP and standard factory 1911 .38 Super.
I have one Bianchi “Askins Avenger” to fit the SIG and another to fit the 1911’s.
Likewise, I have matching magazine carriers for both (the Super magazines fit perfectly snug in the .45 magazine holder).
I believe Bianchi still makes this holster to fit the Browning P35 but haven’t looked for one lately (I do also own a P35 and if I was planning to carry a 9mm, the vintage Browning would be my #1 choice).

My mentioned holster for the 1911’s is well worn, as is the double magazine carrier, from carrying my .45 for several years, working day and night, during the Narcotics Investigator portion of my career (now retired).
Some of the guys in my unit (Multi-Agency Narcotics Task Force) preferred inside the waist band type carry and Milt Sparks seemed to be the one most often used for this.

Regarding small of the back carry, nobody I knew ever used that method.
Too difficult to draw while seated, especially in a car with a seat belt on.
Plus it puts the weapon a little further from my normal range of hand motion and a little closer to the normal hand motion of anyone standing behind me in the grocery store, etc.

Most of the time I was managing informants to do my buys but sometimes, other unit members would ask me to do buys from some particular smuggler/dealer they were targeting.
For these I would tuck my .45 into my waistband, no holster and tighten my belt down to keep it there, unless I gave it a hearty tug upwards.
My spare magazines would be in my off side pocket.

I didn’t bring handcuffs to any of my buys, as the team was always all around me and I was always “wearing a wire”.
They could hear my conversations so, if an arrest was to be made, they burst in and did so (always “arresting” me as well, just to always keep Mr. Creepo guessing, etc).

Also worth mentioning is that, I would wear a large Bowie knife on my off side, presuming that the bad guys would focus on the knife and not notice I was carrying a cocked pistol and two spare magazines.
(The reason for no holster during drug buys was that Cops have holsters).

As usual I’m getting off track here.
Anyway, I still prefer the Askins Avenger, brown leather holster, for carrying an auto pistol concealed.
That said, you must be sure the tension screw is cranked down tight or else your gun can fall out if you stumble or slip on an icy sidewalk, etc.

Stay safe,
Velo Dog.

Last edited:

Thanks for the input, but I have a Bianchi for the Browning. At the time I bought it, it was the highest-riding option that they carried. While well made and durable, it has some features that I don't care for. With the explosion of holster options, it was time to get advice from the knowledgeable group of people at AH.

Also - No, there are no kids in the house. Yes, if I'm out late, I call before I come home![/QUOTE]

There ain't a better crack shot nor more dangerous "critter" than a scared armed woman....surprised by her husband...or intruder(s)....in the middle of the night.:E Rofl:

YES, Very good idea to warn the misses prior to entry.:E Rofl::A Surrender::A Surrender::P Gangster::P Gangster:

PS:
Forgot to mention that I always wore either a leather motorcycle jacket or sometimes a flannel shirt, buttoned at the neck only.
In this ensemble, no weapon showed except my knife / sheath slung well below the jacket and-or square hem of said shirt.

NOTE:
I’m not suggesting civilians carry a big knife to divert the gaze of criminals and neurotic big nosed morons, away from wherever your pistol might be on your person.
I certainly do not carry a big knife now that I’m a civilian.
Drawing a pistol in self defense, should come as a huge ugly loud surprise, to those who are attacking you and / or other innocent ones around you.
So, choose wisely your holster and practice, practice, practice ..... then practice some more.

Last edited:
I know you said you planned carrying a Browning Hi-Power but my lightweight commander size 1911 is pretty close in size and weight so this is what I use to carry it.

I've been daily carrying a lightweight commander size 1911 in a Lou Alessi inside the waistband holster for 12 years now and it's the most comfortable holster I've ever owned. I use a Galco double magazine holder with it.

I've been carrying a gun for almost 50 years now and have used a lot of different holsters in that time. If you find the right holster the first time you're a lucky man but I think you'll try a few before you find the right one for you and your gun. I have a large box of different holsters I've bought and used over the years ranging from outside the waistband, inside the waistband, small of the back (hardly used), shoulder rigs, Yaqui slide's and others.

This is the holster brand I use to carry my Glock 19, the model is King of The Range full pancake OWB. With a good belt, I don't even know my gun is there. I carry at the 4 0'clock. Easy to maintain, and not expensive either. My holster is about 9 years old, and still going strong, and I carry almost every day.

http://www.cobragunskin.com/#product

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-03-26 at 1.26.56 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-03-26 at 1.26.56 PM.png
    4.1 MB · Views: 86
  • Screen Shot 2020-03-26 at 1.26.59 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-03-26 at 1.26.59 PM.png
    3.6 MB · Views: 75
  • Screen Shot 2020-03-26 at 1.27.01 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-03-26 at 1.27.01 PM.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 81
  • Screen Shot 2020-03-26 at 1.27.02 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-03-26 at 1.27.02 PM.png
    3.8 MB · Views: 84
Last edited by a moderator:

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-03-26 at 1.27.52 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-03-26 at 1.27.52 PM.png
    2.3 MB · Views: 76
  • Screen Shot 2020-03-26 at 1.27.43 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-03-26 at 1.27.43 PM.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 76
  • Screen Shot 2020-03-26 at 1.27.45 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-03-26 at 1.27.45 PM.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 76
  • Screen Shot 2020-03-26 at 1.27.48 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-03-26 at 1.27.48 PM.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 77
I ordered a Kramer MSP (paddle type holster) yesterday for my Walther CCP. Kramer (https://www.kramerleather.com/) is having a 20% off sale. Use "HOLSTER20" as the discount code to enter at checkout. Horsehide and cowhide are both available and after reading the pros and cons, opted for horsehide.

It was also awkward to clear leather cleanly without sweeping my own body with the muzzle.
Especially for a full sized auto weighing over 2#, hanging on the back of your pants.

At least with this holster you can rotate it to another carry position if you don't like the SOB.
https://blade-tech.com/collections/holster-finder/products/classic-owb?variant=6067199016988

Based on your advice (which made great sense to me), I ordered the Blade Tech this morning. Thanks again.

Well, I purchased the Blade Tech and used it for a while. Here's what I found:

* The holster is adjustable for tension on the weapon. However, no matter how tight I make it, the pistol "rattles" in the holster. The molding is too wide for a Hi-Power profile and I suspect that it is better suited to a 1911 frame.

* There is a cross bar in the belt loops that allows you to adjust for different belt widths. It falls out pretty regularly. Without the cross bar, the loops are far too wide to be practical.

I know this was your best advice and I am not at all upset. Please don't take it that way. It's just a product performance report. I know a little bit more than I did before and I'll keep searching for a holster that suits me better.

Thanks!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChanceSkin

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!