Heym, Rigby or Mauser?

Heym, Rigby or Mauser?

• Heym Martini Express

• Rigby Big Game

• Mauser m98 Magnum

Results are only viewable after voting.

Axarben

Reaction score
Does anyone have any experience with either the HEYM Martini Express, the Rigby Big Game, or the Mauser m98 Magnum? Considering a rifle in .375HH, curious at to whether there are any standout differences between the three. Any input appreciated.

Are you looking for brand recognition and bragging rights or just a good rifle? I recently purchased a used Winchester Mod 70 Safari Express in 375 H&H for under a grand. It has nice wood and is a controlled round feed just like the firearms you asked about. Check out this AH link https://www.africahunting.com/posts/462105/

I believe @Hank2211 has the Martini version and a Rigby version. He may be able to shed some light on this question.

I have a M98 magnum Mauser. Great rifle.
But if have to buy now I would go Heym it is just a beautiful rifle. From the ones I have seen the Heyms have a better grade wood as standard. Mauser and Rigby are going to charge you for wood upgrade to match Heym. Imo.

Cant go wrong with any of those 3.

I have a Heym express magnum .416 rigby no Martini. A big and beatiful rifle

If I were going for a 416R it would be the Big Game hands down. In the 375 I believe I would go with the Heym.

Is the Heym base model slightly cheaper in .416 Rigby?
I believe they are pretty comparable Ben from what I’ve seen at DSC.

I personally have a Kimber Caprivi in 375 H&H and absolutely love the rifle has the controlled round feed and a very smooth action. With that being said my dad has the Heym Martini Express in 404 Jeffrey, it is the nicest rifle I have ever handled and shot. The action is so smooth it is almost unbelievable. I also really like how the Heym magazine box is cartridge specific, no more flattened out bullets,cartridge sets against mag box at the shoulder. Great design in my opinion. If I were buying I would by the Heym.

The Rigby and the Mauser are both made by Blaser in Isny.

The Mauser gets its label in Isny, the Rigby is sent to England and is labeled there... probably with a bit of different polishing.

Both are rifles of finest quality,... but the core is what it is...

HWL

@Pheroze is close. I have a Rigby Big Game as well as a Martini .300 Win Mag. The latter was made for me by Ralf Martini, who designed the Heym Express by Martini, but does not actually make them. Heym hired Ralf Martini - who used to work for Heym before he moved to Canada - to design the Express rifle to make it more appealing to "non-Europeans." Ralf prefers the English style of rifle to the German style, and the Express reflects that. As a result, it looks and handles more like an English rifle (and thus an American rifle) than it does say, a Blaser.

The Rigby action, which is a Mauser M98 action, is indeed made in Germany. Having said that, this is, in fact, the traditional way in which Rigby Big Game rifles were always made. Rigby sourced the M98 action from Mauser when the .416 was designed. So it's back to where it all started.

Now we need to be clear that while the action is, as it once was, made in Germany, the rifle is the Rigby English design, and is finished in England by craftsmen at Rigby's workshop in London (which you can visit with a bit of notice - well worth it - a small group of workers beavering away in the back with bits of rifles all over the place - gives you shivers!). The Big Game is not quite as traditional as the London Best, more of which is "made" in England, but it is virtually as English a rifle as the Rigbys of yesteryear.

The Big Game is an excellent rifle. Mine, which was a relatively early one, did need some work to ensure smooth operation. I understand those kinks have been worked out. Those issues were easy enough to fix anyway. The beauty of the Rigby is in the handling. The best way to really feel how a genuine English rifle should handle is to shoot it without the scope. The balance is perfect, and the rifle shoulders like a shotgun. A joy to handle, as much as it can be said that a large caliber can be a joy to shoot, Rigby is.

Ralf Martini knows his business and knows how to make a stock. The Heym is much the same as the Rigby in terms of handling. I believe it is an excellent rifle, but I don't have the first-hand experience with it in the field to be able to compare it to the Rigby. I will say I prefer the appearance of the Rigby, and of course, I prefer the history and the "aura". Of course, I have to say that the Heym is not the same as his full-custom rifles, but the price isn't the same either!

Some have commented on the cost, and I won't (because I can't) deny that these are not cheap. But that doesn't mean you don't get value for money. Sort of like driving a Chrysler and a Porsche. I've owned both, and while both will get you where you need to go, one not only does it better, it's a lot more fun to own and to use than the other. Same with these rifles. (I assume since you're asking about expensive rifles in the first place, that your budget isn't the issue here.)

Last comment is that both the Heym and the Rigby are rifles which you should expect to leave to your heirs.

Sorry I can't comment on the Mauser, other than to say that after handling them at the SCI show, I found they were different from the more English style I prefer. Obviously, the action is the same as the Rigby, and I've never heard anyone validly criticize the M98.

I have shot all of them and own a Martini Express in .416 Rigby. It is a fantastastic rifle. The Heym has a better designed stock than the others in my opinion and it functions perfectly.

Having said that, anything with the Rigby name will hold its value very well.

What a decision! Even good things can be stressful, and once you choose, you can't go back. (Kinda like the Selena, Ariana, Shakira choice, there are no losers here) I have used a double square bridge 98, in 416 ( I felt like Harry Selby....(.until I learned his wasn't DSB)) and as a Kraut, this was exactly the right rifle for me. Also, I wonder if the resale of the new Rigby will parallel the old ones?....................great question..........thanks for the post..............FWB

@Pheroze is close. I have a Rigby Big Game as well as a Martini .300 Win Mag. The latter was made for me by Ralf Martini, who designed the Heym Express by Martini, but does not actually make them. Heym hired Ralf Martini - who used to work for Heym before he moved to Canada - to design the Express rifle to make it more appealing to "non-Europeans." Ralf prefers the English style of rifle to the German style, and the Express reflects that. As a result, it looks and handles more like an English rifle (and thus an American rifle) than it does say, a Blaser.

The Rigby action, which is a Mauser M98 action, is indeed made in Germany. Having said that, this is, in fact, the traditional way in which Rigby Big Game rifles were always made. Rigby sourced the M98 action from Mauser when the .416 was designed. So it's back to where it all started.

Now we need to be clear that while the action is, as it once was, made in Germany, the rifle is the Rigby English design, and is finished in England by craftsmen at Rigby's workshop in London (which you can visit with a bit of notice - well worth it - a small group of workers beavering away in the back with bits of rifles all over the place - gives you shivers!). The Big Game is not quite as traditional as the London Best, more of which is "made" in England, but it is virtually as English a rifle as the Rigbys of yesteryear.

The Big Game is an excellent rifle. Mine, which was a relatively early one, did need some work to ensure smooth operation. I understand those kinks have been worked out. Those issues were easy enough to fix anyway. The beauty of the Rigby is in the handling. The best way to really feel how a genuine English rifle should handle is to shoot it without the scope. The balance is perfect, and the rifle shoulders like a shotgun. A joy to handle, as much as it can be said that a large caliber can be a joy to shoot, Rigby is.

Ralf Martini knows his business and knows how to make a stock. The Heym is much the same as the Rigby in terms of handling. I believe it is an excellent rifle, but I don't have the first-hand experience with it in the field to be able to compare it to the Rigby. I will say I prefer the appearance of the Rigby, and of course, I prefer the history and the "aura". Of course, I have to say that the Heym is not the same as his full-custom rifles, but the price isn't the same either!

Some have commented on the cost, and I won't (because I can't) deny that these are not cheap. But that doesn't mean you don't get value for money. Sort of like driving a Chrysler and a Porsche. I've owned both, and while both will get you where you need to go, one not only does it better, it's a lot more fun to own and to use than the other. Same with these rifles. (I assume since you're asking about expensive rifles in the first place, that your budget isn't the issue here.)

Last comment is that both the Heym and the Rigby are rifles which you should expect to leave to your heirs.

Sorry I can't comment on the Mauser, other than to say that after handling them at the SCI show, I found they were different from the more English style I prefer. Obviously, the action is the same as the Rigby, and I've never heard anyone validly criticize the M98.

My end goal is to have something that would be handed down proudly, and I believe something like a Rigby would fit that bill. I am also cognizant of the ever-changing world around us, and I am concerned to some degree that the craftsmanship and sport of today will either not exist or be extremely limited in the relatively near future. Rigby has the pedigree, and Heym is not terribly far behind in that regard by any means. Additionally, I am in a bit of a medical position where making it back to Africa may be difficult or impossible in the future. That's part of why I'd like to have an unforgettable rifle with me for the journey. Tough choice to make.

Axe-man..................I have posed your question many times during my life...........................but usually it was Stoeger, Savage or Mossberg? .............hope your selection process goes better...................FWB

My end goal is to have something that would be handed down proudly, and I believe something like a Rigby would fit that bill. I am also cognizant of the ever-changing world around us, and I am concerned to some degree that the craftsmanship and sport of today will either not exist or be extremely limited in the relatively near future. Rigby has the pedigree, and Heym is not terribly far behind in that regard by any means. Additionally, I am in a bit of a medical position where making it back to Africa may be difficult or impossible in the future. That's part of why I'd like to have an unforgettable rifle with me for the journey. Tough choice to make.
Got to respect that way of thinking. Live life to the fullest for tomorrow may not come.

I really cant afford any of them. But if I could id choose the mauser or rigby. Just my personal preference. Closest ill ever get is my CZ 550 in 416 rigby. The working mans option. But hell why not, enjoy what ever you choose its only $

For me, personally, I wouldn't have to think about this for more than two seconds.

It would be, without a doubt, The Martini-Heym.

Ralph build an exceptional hunting rifle, period.

I have owned 2 of the 3.
M-70s I have owned plenty always works. Rigby single sq. Bridge, I have owned two #1, one of the original 189 .416 R & one of the reproductions, my repop would not reliably feed, poorly designed feed ramp on mine nothing like the original! The repop has a much better designed stock than the original.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadSimpso

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg