Hello from the UK

SRvet

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hi
Firstly thank you for left me join this forum. I live in north west England and have been shooting and hunting for the last 35 years. I spend most of my spare time stalking Roe and Red deer but also enjoy target shooting (in particular precision rifle shooting). I have joined this forum to leArn about hunting in Africa as I have wanted to visit to hunt plains game and buffalo for many decades. Now my kids are a bit older this seems more attainable so perhaps 2021 may be the year!!

Welcome to AH SRvet! Glad you found us and enjoy exploring the site.

@SRvet
Welcome to the forum!
I have almost identical background story, hunting roe, and target shooting then widening my interest towards the africa's plains game, and now having my sights for some buffalo in the future!

Welcome to the forum, @SRvet . Glad to have you join our community. All the best with you research.

Take Care,
Marius Goosen

Welcome aboard SRvet. Your situation is a common one for many of us although some like me experienced it a while back. There are obligations in life that need to be taken care of like providing a home and raising and educating a family. But after that with a little luck comes "play time." Don't wait too long to get started planning your first safari. They aren't just bucket list events, most start planning future visits before returning to everyday life. What kind and caliber rifles do you own. Is your precision shooting done with a small bore i.e. a 22 or a centerfire rifle?

Welcome! Is wingshooting for pheasant and grouse part of your hunting experience? I do a bit of quail, pheasant, dove and duck hunting here in Texas but have wanted to try the English driven hunt experience,

Hi And welcome . ,i am very much like you but being a bit older have been and hunted buffalo ( again next March ) i also live not far from you as we see NW england over the sea on a clear day

Welcome to AH.
You found the right place to plan a hunt in Africa.
Enjoy.

Hello SRvet,

Khomas Highland Hunting Safaris of Namibia, welcomes you to the greatest forum on earth.

Cheers,
Velo Dog.

Welcome to AH!

Welcome aboard!

Welcome aboard SRvet. Your situation is a common one for many of us although some like me experienced it a while back. There are obligations in life that need to be taken care of like providing a home and raising and educating a family. But after that with a little luck comes "play time." Don't wait too long to get started planning your first safari. They aren't just bucket list events, most start planning future visits before returning to everyday life. What kind and caliber rifles do you own. Is your precision shooting done with a small bore i.e. a 22 or a centerfire rifle?
I am fortunate to have a number of rifles from the obligatory 22lr to a 17 Remington for rabbits and crows to the 308 Win and 7mm Rem Mag for deer stalking. My PRS shooting is done with a 6.5x47 and for those who have not come across this involves shooting typically 6 or 8 inch steel gongs from improvised positions from 100m to 1000m under time pressure. It is fairly new to the UK but is really good fun. They also run extreme range shoots alongside these on occasion which is where I get my biggest rifle out (338 Lapua). I am really fortunate that my son has the shooting bug in a big way as well so it gives us some real quality experiences together.

Hi And welcome . ,i am very much like you but being a bit older have been and hunted buffalo ( again next March ) i also live not far from you as we see NW england over the sea on a clear day

Ireland or the Isle of Man?? Can’t be anywhere else... surely ??

Giday from New Zealand and welcome to the A H forums

AF828AFA-3BA1-46F3-8AF2-674C7023D0F0.jpeg
Welcome! Is wingshooting for pheasant and grouse part of your hunting experience? I do a bit of quail, pheasant, dove and duck hunting here in Texas but have wanted to try the English driven hunt experience,
I have done some driven pheasant, partridge and duck in the past but have never shot grouse and have never participated in large driven days (where many hundreds of pheasants are shot). To be honest when I got into my 20s the Rifles took over from shotguns and it has been deer stalking and foxing since then. Here is a photo of my local deer stalking ground.
I visited Houston on work a good few years ago and had a great time, one of the guys I was with was a keen hunter but I never got to go out whilst I was there which was a shame.

Wing shooting here is way different. Dove and duck hunting from a stationary spot usually. Quail is usually walk up through fields, hopefully with a good upland dog. Same for pheasant. My favorite is probably dove hunting since I get to do more of it than the other birds. Opening day is Sept. 1 and if you can find a good field of sunflowers the shooting is great. Daily bag limit of 15 birds. We eat the breast of doves here and when wrapped with a slice of bacon and adding a bit of jalapeno, it's a great apetizer.

Welcome to AH !

Welcome to AH

SRvet, welcome to the AH forum! Take a look through the Safari Guide section. A good place to start planning your Africa adventure!

Hi and WELCOME.. you will find all the info you need on this site, as well as meeting some interesting and knowledgeable people...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JohnT3006

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg