Hello from Florida!

Justin., welcome to the AH forum! Lots of info here to help you get to Africa on that dream hunt.
JMO&E, but the 375 H&H is an outstanding universal caliber. That has been my choice and have taken game from tiny duiker to Cape buffalo. The bullet is the key IMO.
Best of luck in finding what works best for you!
I think that is the plan unless I’m convinced otherwise! What bullets did you find to work best? Not a reloader, yet LOL, so if you have any recommendations for commercially loaded ammo I would greatly appreciate it!

Welcome aboard Justin. What caliber rifle(s) are you thinking about purchasing for your hunt? While the 375 H&H is a very popular and deserving consideration let me suggest you look into a 404 Jeffery.
I’ve only seen a few mentions of the 404J, and you are right in that the .375 H&H has been the idea after some lurking on here LOL! What pushes you toward the 404 instead? Interested to hear about it as it’s a mystery of a cartridge to me!

Hi welcome aboard...enjoy having your rifle built, and using it ...far more satisfying as far as I am concerned using your own rifle on a hunt

Not to derail but I wish uninformed people would get over the myth that travelling through Heathrow with firearms is difficult...
It’ll be my first, or first and second depending on if I’m convinced on a double rifle battery LOL, but I think you hit it right on the nail! Very much want the satisfaction of having built the right rifle for the job! Any recommendations or lessons learned from a build of yours?

It’ll be my first, or first and second depending on if I’m convinced on a double rifle battery LOL, but I think you hit it right on the nail! Very much want the satisfaction of having built the right rifle for the job! Any recommendations or lessons learned from a build of yours?

There are plenty of opinions on here as to what a 2 battery set should be....when I was on the other side..ie coming out hunting as a client i settled on a rigby 416 and a 300 win mag rifle that was modified by rigby back then...depends on what you can shoot well ...majority on here will say for a beginner the 375 is way to go for bigger cal...me I started with a 416 rigby and 470 double as my bigger calibres....but if you are capable of handling the recoil of the 416 rigby or 404 Jeffery then one of those would be my choice for the bigger calibre....then as I said 300 win mag..30-06....or 275 rigby which I have just had the pleasure of watching being used on Joe's hunt with us just now....decisions decisions decisions....Read up on them and see which ones stir your interest...enjoy finding out and using whichever you decide on

I think that is the plan unless I’m convinced otherwise! What bullets did you find to work best? Not a reloader, yet LOL, so if you have any recommendations for commercially loaded ammo I would greatly appreciate it!
Justin, in my experimenting with factory loads, the Swift factory 300 A-frame shot under MOA and was the fastest factory ammo I have found.

Hello and Welcome @Justin. from another native Floridian!

You have found the right place to research and plan your hunt. There are some great folks on here with a wealth of knowledge to share as well as some of the best outfitters in Africa to make your dreams a reality. Feel free to contact me anytime with questions.

Dan Leahy
Limcroma Safaris USA Team Member

Hello everyone! I’m a fairly inexperienced hunter, having only hunted small game and the Soay ram in my profile picture, but planning my DG + Plains Game hunt as a celebration of paying the house off and excited to gain some much needed guidance from all of the experienced hunters in here! Will need it especially as I navigate the treacherous waters of deciding on the details of my custom rifle build as my safari will be a single gun affair! Excited to be a part of the forum after quite a bit of lurking and looking forward to interacting with all of you! And a belated thank you to those of you who got me pointed towards a well known Texas Taxidermist on the forum who I’ve reached out too about getting my Soay Ram looking as nice as the rest of the work he’s done!

Welcome to AH!

Welcome to AH !

Welcome to Ah, you have picked a great place to begin your journey to Africa. Lots of very knowledgeable people here. Good luck.

Hello and Welcome @Justin. from another native Floridian!

You have found the right place to research and plan your hunt. There are some great folks on here with a wealth of knowledge to share as well as some of the best outfitters in Africa to make your dreams a reality. Feel free to contact me anytime with questions.

Dan Leahy
Limcroma Safaris USA Team Member

Thank you very much!

Justin, in my experimenting with factory loads, the Swift factory 300 A-frame shot under MOA and was the fastest factory ammo I have found.
Perfect! Seems like those and the Nosler Partitions are everyone’s favorite! Saving me a lot of money trying to figure this out myself LOL!

Welcome welcome welcome

Thank you everyone for the warm welcome!

Welcome to AH!

Justin, there have been a number of articles and posts about the 404 Jeffery. This one will certainly get you started. https://www.africahunting.com/threads/the-404-jeffery-history-and-related-information.56662/

I'd never even heard about this caliber before joining AH. I now own two of them. Both shoot under one MOA with the load recommended by Von Gruff (the member that posted the aforementioned article.)
Justin, there have been a number of articles and posts about the 404 Jeffery. This one will certainly get you started. https://www.africahunting.com/threads/the-404-jeffery-history-and-related-information.56662/

I'd never even heard about this caliber before joining AH. I now own two of them. Both shoot under one MOA with the load recommended by Von Gruff (the member that posted the aforementioned article.)
What an absolutely wonderful post, fantastic read! Thank you VERY much for pointing me in it’s direction! His custom build is an absolute beauty!

Justin, if you want to learn more about the 404 Jeffery use the "search" feature that AH offers. That caliber has a very descent following among our members.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dkdagasv388

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg