Good afternoon from East Texas

Stan, welcome to the AH forum! Excellent sight to plan your first Africa adventure!
My parents lived north of you on a small homestead near Winfield until they passed away a few years ago. Enjoy reading the hunt reports on here.

Welcome to AH Stan! Thanks to your friend for inviting you here and looking forward to your participation.

Welcome fellow Texan! Like you I got a degree that would put me outdoors more than indoors. Went to SFA for forestry and environmental science. Like others have said, its never too late to hunt Africa.... you don't have to spend the entire time hunting, take the wife make a vacation out of it. If you like reading about places in Africa you'll enjoy seeing them more. Welcome and enjoy the site.

Welcome fellow Texan! Like you I got a degree that would put me outdoors more than indoors. Went to SFA for forestry and environmental science. Like others have said, its never too late to hunt Africa.... you don't have to spend the entire time hunting, take the wife make a vacation out of it. If you like reading about places in Africa you'll enjoy seeing them more. Welcome and enjoy the site.
Thank you,

I too have one of those purple degrees in biology. Had to move out of state to get a decent post grad degree. Maroon was not my color. LOL

Thank you,

I too have one of those purple degrees in biology. Had to move out of state to get a decent post grad degree. Maroon was not my color. LOL

Ah, fellow lumberjack! Always good to meet someone who also enjoyed that wonderful campus. I hear ya on the maroon. All the way to Alabama huh! War Eagle!

Welcome to AH !

Welcome to AH from another East Texan. We’re over in the Marshall area.

Welcome aboard Stan. To answer one of your questions, AH is the best place to read and learn about hunting in Africa. BTW what load do you use in your 404 Jeffery? The load a number of us uses produces MOA or slightly better groups at 100 yds. Is yours equal to that or better?

Thank you,

I only fired the rifle less than 1 box of factory Hornady 400 gr DGS ammo. Even with factory ammo, fired for accuracy from a lead sled, it was MOA at 100 yds. The few rounds I fired offhand at 50 yds. were very good as well. I never had an occasion to reload for the rifle and still have 6 boxes of factory Hornady ammo, as well as some empty brass.

Welcome to AH! If you're just over in Tyler, you need to come for next year's Dallas Safari Club convention. We have an annual dinner there on Friday evening. We've had about 200 attendees the last two years, so it's a great party.

Thank you,

Been there many many times. I have several friends that set up there every year. I always enjoy the show, Couldn't make it this year, but plan to go in 2021.

Welcome, looks like you did everything to that MRC rifle that they should have done from the start! Barrel band front sight, island rear and barrel band sling! Nice rifle!
If you make it to Houston after this drama is all over with, bring your rifle along and you can shoot with a couple of us that will put that fire back under your a$$!
Cheers,
Cody
Thank you

Thank you,

Been there many many times. I have several friends that set up there every year. I always enjoy the show, Couldn't make it this year, but plan to go in 2021.

Friday night at Gilley's just a few blocks away I'm sure will be the day and location. Has been for a few years now. I look forward to meeting you there!

Welcome my friend! Be careful on this forum. If you get too involved you might find yourself planning a trip soon. And that would be a good thing. And I agree that gun needs to go to Africa!

Hello Roy. Really like your new rifle. When this CV invasion has slowed, let's go shoot. Pair of Jeffery's is better than one. I do want to shoot it again now that has left the confines of its metal home.

Welcome to a great place.

Welcome to AH! Keep hope alive, start researching and saving for a hunt in Africa. Your dream will come true sooner than you think!

Hello Stan Smith,

Khomas Highland Hunting Safaris of Namibia, welcomes you to the greatest forum on earth.

Best place to read about African adventures ?
Have a look into the forum section known as “Hunt Reports”.
I guess it’s obvious that I would suggest hunt reports about Namibia.
However, there are many countries in Africa that offer splendid hunting these days and therefore, some excellent stories are posted by forum members about them.

I’m +1 with those who say that, it seems only right for you to bring your .404 to Africa.
I once had fired an original, pre-war Oberndorf, single square bridge Magnum Mauser ‘98.
Since then, I have made unsuccessful offers on more than one .404 Mauser, over the years.

After several frustrating years of searching in vain, for a reasonably priced .404, I ended up buying a CZ 550 Magnum, in .416 Rigby, for $800. new in the box.
Then, I had it modified to my liking (23” barrel, Model 70 type “safety”, barrel band swivel, stock reinforced, etc., etc).

To keep recoil tolerable for my sissy shoulder, I hand load my Rigby down to the original .404 ballistics, by means of putting a spacer between the powder charge and the base of the bullet.
Blah, blah, blah, whatever.

Anyway, we’re all glad you joined up.

Best regards,
Paul.

Stan, welcome to the AH forum! Excellent sight to plan your first Africa adventure!
My parents lived north of you on a small homestead near Winfield until they passed away a few years ago. Enjoy reading the hunt reports on here.
Thank you. I know where Winfield is, close to Mt Pleasant.

Welcome to AH, Stan! I echo Phil's words of joining us for the annual Dallas dinner.
Always a great event.

All the best and take care,
Marius Goosen

G'day

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillieBurk

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg