First .375 on the way!

Congrats on the 375.
Let us know how it shoots.

A lot of folks start with a 300RUM as a donor for a 404J build.
Depends on the type of action you want...CRF vs PF.
I'll duck for cover now.

A Left Hand 300 RUM (or any of the RUMs) would make the ideal donor rifle to convert into a 404J. There's a few listed on GB, all are Remington 700 PF. If Montana Rifle survives, they make LH rifles and recently came out with a 404J, so that might be your best option for a not to expensive CRF.

I've got a canoe in bear trip planned for this fall, if it works out I plan to invite friends from here to go on future adventures into the Tobeatic, @Bob Nelson 35Whelen has first dibs

The Tobeatic is a beautiful place, I can’t wait to read the report! After all this crap is over and we can grab a beer, remind me to tell you the story of my flawed decision to paddle the gold river! Holy crap that’s a lot of waterfalls!

@Skinnersblade all I can say is I love my 375HH Win model 70 which i purchased 2 years ago. It’s a beautiful rifle to shoot and is ready to go to Zimbabwe if we can get this dang virus under control. I love it so much I went ahead and have a 404J being built from a Winchester 375HH action. Hopefully have it any day. Some day I’ll head up your way for a bear but trying to get a few trips to Africa first.

A Left Hand 300 RUM (or any of the RUMs) would make the ideal donor rifle to convert into a 404J. There's a few listed on GB, all are Remington 700 PF. If Montana Rifle survives, they make LH rifles and recently came out with a 404J, so that might be your best option for a not to expensive CRF.
For a new 404J...

If you did go with MRC, I wouldn't count on future factory support.
They've been more than just a little shaky as of late.
The C19 may put the nail in them, but I wouldn't count them out just yet.

Another option would be Hill Country Rifles for a CRF option.
They are more expensive, but you will get what you pay for.

Lastly, I'll be waiting for the eye rolls and groans, there is Blaser.
Although it is a PF action, it is of the finest quality and highly reliable.

For a new 404J...

If you are going to go custom route there is also Defiance Machine actions, can be ordered with CRF and 3 position safety. I have one on order for a .300 RUM build.

https://defiancemachine.com/actions/deviant/deviant-hunter/

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-04-08 at 2.38.12 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-04-08 at 2.38.12 PM.png
    816.7 KB · Views: 77
  • Screen Shot 2020-04-08 at 2.38.13 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-04-08 at 2.38.13 PM.png
    527.6 KB · Views: 77
For a new 404J...

You will have a hard sell on a blazer in Canada or atleast eastern Canada I think we were all weaned on horror stories of the Ross rifle. I mean a cousins friends grandfather hated his during the war so they must be terrible.

You will have a hard sell on a blazer in Canada or atleast eastern Canada I think we were all weaned on horror stories of the Ross rifle. I mean a cousins friends grandfather hated his during the war so they must be terrible.
Ha!

Congratulations on your. 375. My step up to the big bores was my 416 Rigby. Still trying to figure out how to convince my Sweetheart that I need a .375 H&H.
Explain to her that it's "her" rifle.
Things will go much more smoothly.
Especially seeing as you already have 416RIGBY.

Worst case scenario, you both go hunting buffalo.
I don't see a downside to that.

For a new 404J...

No eye rolls from this guy about the Blaser. I bought a Sako Safari in a .375. Beautiful gun. Shoots well. But I can’t take the barrel off of it and drop a .22 Lr barrel on and go squirrel hunting in the back yard.

Well gents as of today I've joined the ranks of fellow big bore addicts on this forum. I blame gateway calibers such as .340 weatherby and .45-70 for leading me astray.

In about a weeks time I will have a .375 h&h zastava lh.

Out of curiosity do I just start looking for an action to build a .404 on now or wait a bit....
What about looking for another Zastava lh, preferably identical to the one you just purchased then having it converted to .404J, rebarrel, etc. They say beware of the man that shoots one rifle. This might be the next best thing. The action should be long enough.

I have a poor mans blaser. A TC encore I can go from 22-250 to 25-06 in a few minutes and each barrel has its own scope.
The follow up shot may be a bit slower though.
Hell, you can go up to 300WM with 26 or 28" barrel and still get it done quickly.
Make that first shot count and you won't have to worry about a follow up. ;)

I have a poor mans blaser. A TC encore I can go from 22-250 to 25-06 in a few minutes and each barrel has its own scope.
The follow up shot may be a bit slower though.

I used a single shot Henry with much success for several years until regrettably selling it to purchase a .340 lh. I've not handled an encore but if they are anything like my Henry was they're wonderful to carry and deadly.

I love the 375 h&H, I have used it here in Newfoundland on moose certainly dont need it for moose but love using it. I find absolutely no difference with 'moose hunting with the 375 H&H compared with the 30/06 except for the weight of the rifle. Recoil is a non issue. It has however whetted my desire to shoot big bore rifles. I am constantly looking at the larger stuff. I have decided that I will hunt Africa first though. You only live once. I am putting away money for Africa and when I come back will look at maybe a 404 Jeffrey or something bigger. The way i see it though is since I own a 375 H & H maybe my next will be a stopper . I will never own a double rifle but thats where I see all this headed

I love the 375 h&H, I have used it here in Newfoundland on moose certainly dont need it for moose but love using it. I find absolutely no difference with 'moose hunting with the 375 H&H compared with the 30/06 except for the weight of the rifle. Recoil is a non issue. It has however whetted my desire to shoot big bore rifles. I am constantly looking at the larger stuff. I have decided that I will hunt Africa first though. You only live once. I am putting away money for Africa and when I come back will look at maybe a 404 Jeffrey or something bigger. The way i see it though is since I own a 375 H & H maybe my next will be a stopper . I will never own a double rifle but thats where I see all this headed

I actually just priced a hunt on the rock any experience with gander river outfitters?
Our moose is on a lottery and I can't seem to get drawn. I try not to let "need" influence my decisions with regards to guns. I find "want" and I get along much better in that regard.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LawerenceC

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!