300 Win mag load development

Carterhunts1205

New member
Joined
Sep 13, 2026
Messages
13
Reaction score
3
Greetings all ,

Waiting for license for a model 70 super grade 300 win mag.

26 inch barrel 1:10 twist.

Can anyone give me some ideas on what powder to use and any previous loads . I’m wanting to shoot a 200 gr eld x as I’d like it to be able to stretch some distance.

Was originally planning on using Somchem S335 but I’d obviously like to get a lot of energy and speed out of it , so if there’s better options please let me know . If I could get similar speeds to what the box ammo (precision hunter 200 gr ) shoots or advertises I’d be happy .
 
I am also considering the bondstrike bullet and the long range accubond . The long range accubond might actually be better for the very long distances as it still expands at a much slower speed .

A fair amount of my shooting will also be under 400 yards so I’d like a bullet that holds together at those ranges , and I believe the eld x sheds weight violently and comes apart at those ranges whereas a bonded bullet might be a better option. Maybe the 190 gr option can work . Anyone have any experience with these .
 
The ELD-X is a good bullet. They tend to blow up at close range, but work quite well at longer range. The red plastic tip aids in bullet expansion and tends to overdo it at high velocities at short range. As the bullet travels out to longer distances and slows down, bullet expansion is about right.

I've developed loads with the 200 gr ELD-X for 300 WM in a Ruger with 24 inch barrel and a Browning A Bolt with a 26 inch barrel. I tried 3 different powders, Alliant 4000-MR, IMR 4831 and MagPro. IMR 4831 gave me the best results, but the other two powders also gave me acceptable results.

Personally, I think whatever combination of powder and bullet you select, the 200 gr bullets are the way to go. Most factory ammo is the 180 gr variety.

1790681215098.png


Nathan Foster in New Zealand is an excellent resource

See attached article for more info
 

Attachments

I have used Reloader 22 powder for .300win for years with 180gr bullets, but recently did load work up for 200gr Barnes LRX-BT and per the suggestion of another member I tried H4831sc and couldn't be happier with the results out of my 23" 1:10" barrel.

1/2” squares FYI @100yds
IMG_0379.jpeg
 
Somchem S335 is very much the WRONG powder to use for a 300WM. It's way too fast-burning.
Of the Somchem range you need to look at S365 or S361. They won't get you to max performance, if that's important.
I'm assuming you're in SA - of the imported powders, Vihtavuori is amongst the most readily available, something like N170 or N565 should work well with your long barrel.
 
I shoot 200gr Accubond with H1000, 22" barrel velocity is 2940fps

Fyi, the Long Range accubonds can be very finicky, I've tried them in several rifles and can only get sub moa in a couple.
 
Greetings all ,

Waiting for license for a model 70 super grade 300 win mag.

26 inch barrel 1:10 twist.

Can anyone give me some ideas on what powder to use and any previous loads . I’m wanting to shoot a 200 gr eld x as I’d like it to be able to stretch some distance.

Was originally planning on using Somchem S335 but I’d obviously like to get a lot of energy and speed out of it , so if there’s better options please let me know . If I could get similar speeds to what the box ammo (precision hunter 200 gr ) shoots or advertises I’d be happy .

I have the same rifle. With 200gr bullets, mine really likes Hodgdon H4831/H4831SC. I don't know what the equivalent is for Somchem. H4831 typically won't give the best velocity, but I get roughly 2800fps and with very good accuracy.
 
Powders I use:

RELOADER 26! Jacketed bullets 180gr and up, mono bullets 165gr and up.

H4831 on same as RL26. Not quite as fast.

Reloader 22 on same as RL26. Not quite as fast.

Reloader 19 on same as RL26. Not quite as fast.

H4350 on lighter options up to 168gr (monos)

Reloader 17 on lighter options up to 168gr (monos)

One of my favorite loads is 78gr of RL26 and 168gr TTSX that yields 3210 fps from my 26” barrel. This is under max.

Also: 77gr of RL26 and 175gr LRX at 3075 fps. This is a max charge.

Also: 74gr of RL26 and 200gr Accubond at 2960 FPS. This is book max, but appears to have some room. Still has sooty necks.
 
Good luck finding Reloder powders. That said, rl 22, 25 worked well for me and I just finished a load with rl 17 and 190 gr ablr that showed great accuracy at 3020 fps. Like you, im stretching it just a little for a specific area deer hunt. Yes that bullet is fickle but so is the eld x and I prefer the less frangible ablr. The original Accubond 180 gr. shoots great from the same rifle at 3050 fps with IMR-4350, which you should locate fairly easily. I’ve taken this rifle to Africa for a couple dozen animals with the original trophy bonded bear claw and rl-22 and love that load, in fact I’m hunting elk with it this week. -good luck!
 
IMR 4831 with a Barnes TTSX 165 and F210 is my go to .300 Win Mag load. Through and through wounds on nilgai and oryx. It literally knocked one nilgai off its feet with a bullet to the shoulders. One of the more impressive things I’ve seen. Kills deer and pigs well too. 100% of bullets have exited. For freezing temps, use a magnum primer like the F215.
 
Last edited:
I have used Reloader 22 powder for .300win for years with 180gr bullets, but recently did load work up for 200gr Barnes LRX-BT and per the suggestion of another member I tried H4831sc and couldn't be happier with the results out of my 23" 1:10" barrel.

1/2” squares FYI @100yds
View attachment 797949
I use h4831sc in my 175gr barnes lrx load for my 300wm. Its fantastic
 
I had an 8 pound jug of 26 and a local guy gave me $800 for it.
H1000 is more temp stable and I can find it.

I’m lucky in that where I live doesn’t experience extreme temperature fluctuations. Maybe a 25 degree swing from winter to summer, and it never gets cold enough to freeze. I could see it being a problem where its over 100 in the summer and there is snow by the beginning of November.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,383
Messages
1,574,675
Members
170,100
Latest member
catchrepouso1978
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is [redacted] in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
 
Top