Feeding Issues, please help!

Discussion in 'Firearms & Ammunition' started by frog stealer, Aug 28, 2018.

1. Stuart Satterlee

Stuart Satterlee AH Member

Video/Photo:
    Frog Stealer,
    I recently fixed a 404 Jeffery M-70 conversion rifle that had the exact same problem you are having with your rifle.
    To fix it I cut the tabs off the of the magazine box, this modification to the box allows the bullet noses to spread out just enough so the cartridges will stay under the feed rails when the bolt is cycled back either forcefully or gently.
    With the magazine box removed from your rifle you will see two vertical sheet metal tabs that project vertically. Use a dremmel tool with a cut off wheel and remove those tabs, debur the edges with a file and reassemble the rifle.
    The rifle I fixed was done by some other Smith I can't recall his name at the moment, not that it matters much.
    When looking at the M-70's there where three versions of the ultra mag actions, the main differences in them was how the feed rails where machined at Winchester. The first version had straight rails with out flared openings in the rails, the second had just one flare on the left side and the third had rail flares on both sides. The first version was the best action for doing a 404 because no flares means more rail metal which means the cartridges stay under
    The rail until fed.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 10, 2018

2. frog stealer

frog stealer AH Veteran

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    South Africa
    Stuart,

Thanks a bunch for this information. I will remove the box when I get home tonight and check it out!

3. frog stealer

frog stealer AH Veteran

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    South Africa
    Stuart,

Yesterday I had some time to work on the feeding issue with my rifle...I removed the vertical tabs like you suggested (I ground mine off with the dremel, as opposed to cut them out) and now my rifle feeds perfect! I loaded three dummy rounds and cycled them through the action fast and slow...I couldn't get them to fail! Thanks so much for your recommendation!

4. Stuart Satterlee

Stuart Satterlee AH Member

Video/Photo:
    Frog stealer,
    Good to hear. That's two M-70 404 Jeffery conversion rifles fixed that exhibited that problem and the beautiful thing is, it's such an easy fix.
    Stuart Satterlee