Favorite knife handle material

CBeck

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
OK, so I finish this knife up today and I used an olive canvas micarta, which I have used on many knives. However, on this particular knife I’m just not feeling it.

This is going to be my take to Africa knife. It’s the second iteration of this blade design and originally I thought the scales would be appropriate for a hunting knife as well as durable and attractive. Which they are, but it’s not speaking to me. I have a beautiful piece of highly figured Arizona Desert Ironwood I believe I’m going to use.

So I’m going to cut the scales off and re-handle it. Which begs the question, what is your favorite knife handle material? Something beautiful yet functional and durable and speaks of quality.… is it bone, wood, synthetic ivory, micarta, antler??

8052076E-0154-4854-A9F3-BA0CDD7F1636.jpeg

This was the first version which was done in Ivory micarta with Navy liners. On the second version I raised the tip up giving the knife a little more belly and change the handle shape. I do like the ivory micarta.

7C8CA119-9AD2-4D29-AE1B-AB6E179B09B4.jpeg

Last edited:
I suppose ivory would be my favorite if it was possible to get it and not have customs confiscate it, so I suppose my second choice is antler, but vonGruff made a knife a few years back for me that had 50,000 year old swamp wood as the handle & it is quite nice.

Giraffe bone, Desert ironwood, buffalo horn are among those that I particulary like but there are so many stunning woods that it is hard not to make a list of a great many more. Camel bone is about the same as the giraffe bone to the eye and the hand without the legal hassles and antler is another very nice handle with the right antler. The man mades are more for durability or functionality so dont come into the wow class.

I like birch burl best.
Buffalo horn I don´t like at all.
It shrinks and bends. it needs allot of pins to stick to the tang.

The Ivory Micarta looks nice. Looks fitting to go to Africa.I also like the other blade design.

There are beautiful timbers and functional synthetics.

Maybe you need a wood handle but one you are happy to use in the field.

CB, you cannot bring a synthetic handle to Africa, it just isn't correct. Ivory of course would be fantastic and I plan to get one some time, so your ivory micarta looks great, but it isn't 'Africa'. So looks to maybe giraffe bone or bison bone or some such.
the one below belongs to my son in law, it is giraffe.
A49BC707-3323-4608-AFC3-6452388AA22F.jpeg

if you go wood then a darker dense wood. Do you get bauganvilia in the USA? A very well aged piece makes an excellent handle.

I made this one a while back with a stabilized giraffe bone bolster. It was nice to work with.

I know Giraffe bone cannot be shipped to some countries. What about traveling with it?

7E318037-0038-4C85-BF67-CF08119BA0A7.jpeg

@yhc that moose handle is beautiful.

I love amber sambar stag…likely my favorite but since the Indian export ban, finding pieces without tons of pith and good character without paying more than the knife is worth, has become near impossible.

OK, so I finish this knife up today and I used an olive canvas micarta, which I have used on many knives. However, on this particular knife I’m just not feeling it.

This is going to be my take to Africa knife. It’s the second iteration of this blade design and originally I thought the scales would be appropriate for a hunting knife as well as durable and attractive. Which they are, but it’s not speaking to me. I have a beautiful piece of highly figured Arizona Desert Ironwood I believe I’m going to use.

So I’m going to cut the scales off and re-handle it. Which begs the question, what is your favorite knife handle material? Something beautiful yet functional and durable and speaks of quality.… is it bone, wood, synthetic ivory, micarta, antler??

View attachment 455841

This was the first version which was done in Ivory micarta with Navy liners. On the second version I raised the tip up giving the knife a little more belly and change the handle shape. I do like the ivory micarta.

View attachment 455842

I am obviously a heathen.....but I like the first one.....

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-03-07 at 8.13.58 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-03-07 at 8.13.58 AM.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 68
  • Screen Shot 2022-03-07 at 8.14.00 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-03-07 at 8.14.00 AM.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 64
  • Screen Shot 2022-03-07 at 8.14.02 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-03-07 at 8.14.02 AM.png
    1,014.7 KB · Views: 70

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChristyLak

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg