Favorite knife handle material

As for the giraffe bone, it is readily available in the US to purchase but I’m not sure what the process was for the seller to get it here…

These are a few dyed and stabilized pieces I picked up for bolster material.

image.jpg

Well since I couldn’t decide, I just went ahead and made me one with ivory G 10 and one with Desert Ironwood.

I didn’t make the blades subtly different… The ivory more fin and feather and the wood more for medium game though either would crossover fine.

View attachment 457765
Beautiful knifes (y) (y)

It's interesting that you can use Mammoth ivory at all if you can't use Elephant ivory.
I guess there must be places they still find it in reasonable quantity but it is also going to be a limited resource. They are not making anymore.

I'm also surprised that it's workable as they have been extinct at least 4000 years.

Nice work, Mammoth ivory would go well on a collectable knife

It's interesting that you can use Mammoth ivory at all if you can't use Elephant ivory.
I guess there must be places they still find it in reasonable quantity but it is also going to be a limited resource. They are not making anymore.

I'm also surprised that it's workable as they have been extinct at least 4000 years.

Nice work, Mammoth ivory would go well on a collectable knife

I think they find most of it in the frozen tundra fairly well preserved. It can be stabilized with synthetic resins like woods.

The Mammoth ivory is found in Siberia and way north in China. You can buy it in US depending on state regulations. It’s a nice material to shape and can be extremely beautiful. I enjoy beautiful woods, antlers and others but the ivory is just a beautiful thing to work with and enjoy the beauty.

The Mammoth ivory is found in Siberia and way north in China. You can buy it in US depending on state regulations. It’s a nice material to shape and can be extremely beautiful. I enjoy beautiful woods, antlers and others but the ivory is just a beautiful thing to work with and enjoy the beauty.
Do you mind sharing your supplier?

Tambotie wood makes fine knife handles, especially in the hands of an equally fine craftsman.
Hard, durable and keeps its beautiful natural look.
20220319_141029.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobbyeriBlorm

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg