AH member
Reaction score
Media
Member of
KZN Hunting & Conservation Association
Hunted
South Africa...
Hello all!
A lifetime dream is about to come true for me (in about 3 weeks time)! I have always wanted to hunt an eland...I even bought a .375 for this and then sold it about a year ago as I thought I would never get to hunt one. Well, now the time has come and my heaviest rifle is a .30-06.

I have seen posts on this forum where members have hunted eland with this caliber as well as the 7x57 (which I also own). My dilemma is I am not sure what load to use?

.30-06
1. GS Custom 150 grain HV @ 3030 fps
2. Barnes TTSX 168 grain @2720 fps
3. North Fork 180 grain SP @ 2620 fps

All three loads group from 0.50 to 1.20 MOA. I will be hunting in hilly to mountainous terrain, shots can be taken from just under 100 meters to 250 meters (I have hunted here a few time before).

I guess my dilemma is that I am 'spoiled for choice'...

Thanks in advance!

I shot my Eland earlier this year with the NorthFork 180gr but in .308win without any problems. Perfect mushroom and it only went about 20yds after the shot. Shot it at about 120 yds or so on the shoulder.

Grab the heavier bullet or even step up to a 200gr a-frame or Northfork since you got the extra legs for it in the 30-06.

All three load/bullet combinations will be indistinguishable by your dead eland ... shoot straight, have a great time, and post LOTS of pictures!!!!

For my safari last year I used the barnes ttsx 168 gr in all of my 9 animals. Worked great. However, Kudu/Zebra/Gemsbok were probably the biggest in size, smaller than a Eland.... I'm going back next year with a 375 for my Eland. If your going to use the 06, chose shots wisely.

Hello all!
A lifetime dream is about to come true for me (in about 3 weeks time)! I have always wanted to hunt an eland...I even bought a .375 for this and then sold it about a year ago as I thought I would never get to hunt one. Well, now the time has come and my heaviest rifle is a .30-06.

I have seen posts on this forum where members have hunted eland with this caliber as well as the 7x57 (which I also own). My dilemma is I am not sure what load to use?

.30-06
1. GS Custom 150 grain HV @ 3030 fps
2. Barnes TTSX 168 grain @2720 fps
3. North Fork 180 grain SP @ 2620 fps

All three loads group from 0.50 to 1.20 MOA. I will be hunting in hilly to mountainous terrain, shots can be taken from just under 100 meters to 250 meters (I have hunted here a few time before).

I guess my dilemma is that I am 'spoiled for choice'...

Thanks in advance!

Of the ones you listed, I'd guess the 180 gr North Fork is best.

The PH that I have hunted with the most, has a .30-06 for rent to clients.
He uses Hornady brand 220 grain round nose bullets at 2400 feet per second.

This rifle and load have taken many eland.

I am not one to hunt 2000 pound animals with a .30 of any kind.

However, if all I had was a .30 then, I would want the heaviest bonded core bullet possible and the Swift A-Frame would be my choice.

eland taken with a 30-06 using 200grn norma oryx bullets

P1020420.JPG

Thanks all! I guess I need to make up my mind and stick with the decision, can't be changing my mind too much now. I have always been in the slow, heavy camp and thought the stronger, lighter bullet would be the best of both worlds...

I will be sure to post my photos...I just need a teenager to help me as I am technologically challenged!!!

Can it be done..... Vs. do you recommend it? Give best advice... Not best case scenario.

Use the heavy for caliber option.

I know it's a bit apples and oranges in terms of size but I just shot a blue wildebeest that was about 650# frontal at about 125 yards with my 06 using a 180 gr Barnes TTSX and it destroyed his lung and heart before tearing a path through his liver. He went about 10 yards and crumpled. I like the heavy for caliber bullets and am confident in the 06 but the eland is a big critter and if I was going to get a chance I might think about bigger caliber.

use the heaviest bullet possible if it shoots MOA

For my safari last year I used the barnes ttsx 168 gr in all of my 9 animals. Worked great. However, Kudu/Zebra/Gemsbok were probably the biggest in size, smaller than a Eland.... I'm going back next year with a 375 for my Eland. If your going to use the 06, chose shots wisely.
Ya, shot placement is key, especially animals such as the eland. But don't worry, if you place it right, that eland will not go far with a 30-06 bullet in em'

YUP 180 gr shoot straight know the vital zone=
1 dead eland
180 works good for all over there (PG).
SHOW US PICTURES WHEN YOU GET BACK!

About 2 weeks ago the young lady hunting with me shot a 35 inch eland with a 30-06. 180 gr accubonds. First shot was frontal into the chest and finished with a shoulder shot. I do like the TTSX bullets very well. The NF is also a very good choice. Make your first shot count. Bruce

Eland are not tough animals, shot placement is what counts. 30-06, will do the job perfectly. I have culled plenty eland, used 06 on them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Katlyn74D

Latest profile posts

check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Jackal hunt on triggercam,

Jackal hunt on triggercam,