Effective range for a .375 H & H

Wyatt Smith

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
I sight my 375HH at 200 meters with great accuracy I was using 300g Sierras and am now trying Swifts just to see if there is a touch more FPS and if the group will be even tighter. It also seem that my Whitworth likes Win 760 or 748 over the other powders I have tried
I just sold a Winchester on here that loved a 300 grain Sierra with H414/W760 behind it. One grain above the minimum load gave me 2500 FPS and a one inch group at 100 yards.

BeeMaa

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA Life Member, SCI
Hunted
Eastern US & RSA
That's what my PH told me on judging eland. The bigger the tuft, the older he is.
Update - We got some paperwork back on our trophies with SCI scoring.
The Eland is 90 5/8 SCI Gold, the Gemsbok is 92 4/8 SCI Silver.
Our importer sent an email and said the trophies will be shipping this month.
Mrs BeeMaa is psyched.

Major Khan

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
With the Winchester Western brand 300 grain factory loaded cartridges and Remington Peters brand 300 grain factory loaded cartridges , which my clients would bring to India for shikar ( From 1961 - 1970 ) ... Acceptable range was roughly 275 yards , in the hands of a competent shooter . The most accurate .375 Holland & Holland magnum caliber rifle was actually a Remington Model 700 “ Classic “ rifle , wearing a Weaver K series telescopic sight ( Not too high magnification ) .

Newboomer

Gold supporter
AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Member of
NRA, SCI, American Legion, Freemasons
Hunted
RSA, Maine, Montana, Colorado, Texas, Alaska, California.
Update - We got some paperwork back on our trophies with SCI scoring.
The Eland is 90 5/8 SCI Gold, the Gemsbok is 92 4/8 SCI Silver.
Our importer sent an email and said the trophies will be shipping this month.
Mrs BeeMaa is psyched.

Fantastic!! Congrats on both counts.

bruce moulds

AH legend
Reaction score
With the Winchester Western brand 300 grain factory loaded cartridges and Remington Peters brand 300 grain factory loaded cartridges , which my clients would bring to India for shikar ( From 1961 - 1970 ) ... Acceptable range was roughly 275 yards , in the hands of a competent shooter . The most accurate .375 Holland & Holland magnum caliber rifle was actually a Remington Model 700 “ Classic “ rifle , wearing a Weaver K series telescopic sight ( Not too high magnification ) .
275 yards is a nebulous figure without a criteria.
that might be true for a 270 gn spitzer bullet with a point blank range of +/- 3" trajectory.
but it depends on velocity and b.c. to some degree.
a round nose will not achieve that trajectory.
also if you include allowing to aim high past the point blank range things are extended.
bruce.

Nhoro

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Are they trying to protect people from being shot at with softpoints because they believe a solid would be less harmful? In .375 H&H mag??? Please!

Yep! if you happen to shoot a burgler with it, they want to make sure he will make a full recovery. That way, he cant sue you over not being able to practice his trade.
They are hoping that you will shoot the burglar, his 3 accomplices,3 walls and then the neighbour and his cat,budgie and goldfish in one lucky shot. Don't you read Pondoro ?

rookhawk

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Member of
NRA Life Benefactor, Trout Unlimited, Safari Club International

@Major Khan those old rifles were more accurate than that. The ammo was very poor. No doubt with modern ammo your opinion on distanceS that are acceptable would increase to 350 yards.

fourfive8

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunted
USA, South Africa, Mozambique, Zimbabwe, Zambia, Botswana
Might be able to stretch the MPBR (a simple max, best case trajectory scenario) for larger animals out past 300 but it would call for more guessing and luck- not the best combination for shooting/hunting under field conditions. I like Major Khan's 275 yd opinion for maximum and will go with that. For what a 375 is best for, if it is farther than 300, hunt closer and take a better shot with much more certainty of outcome or don't shoot at all. Pretty simple really.

Here's a trajectory table (c/o JBM Ballistics) for average 375 HH ammo.... 2500 fps muzzle, 300 gr round nose design, modest BC of .275 to cover most bullets including round noses, scope height 1.4", 1000 ft elevation std atmosphere, 200 yd zero and +2.9 " @ 100 yds.

375 300 gr input.png

375 300gr trajectory.png

Last edited:

RayAtkinson

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Member of
SCI Dallas
Hunted
RSA, Botswana, CAR, Tanzania, Zimbabwe, Zambia, Mozambique, Kenya way back when, and a few others that I can't remember.
To simplify your post, the 375 will duplicate the 30-06 In trajectory or at least close enough for""" guvment work"

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TillyMacgh

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Rifle57 wrote on Rimshot's profile.
I bought some bullets from Rimshot and he is good to trade with!
Greetings all! I've been a hunter for 50 years, but only now planning a trip to Africa. I was fortunate and successfully bid on a couple hunts for plains game in SA later this year and next. Also a rare Native Texas (5th generation) and USMC Vet. Hunt safe y'all!
uujm wrote on trg's profile.
I am looking for a Safari Express. Was yours made in New Haven or South Carolina? Any other details you can give me? I am very motivated to buy.
pimes wrote on flatwater bill's profile.
Hello Bill - can you tell me that landowner/ranch/outfitter - Thank you!
Pete0905 wrote on damundsen87's profile.
Hello
Is the Khales 1-6 still for sale?
Thanks
Josh