DSC and SCI Shows 2021 - What are your feelings in the current environment?

KMG Hunting Safaris

Sponsor
Since 2013
AH ambassador
Reviews
Reaction score
Website
www.huntsafaris.co.za
Deals & offers
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Australia/NZ
Member of
DSC Life Member ; Eastern Cape Game Management Association ; PE Pistol and Rifle Club
Hunted
South Africa, Namibia, Zimbabwe, Mozambique, New Zealand, USA, Canada
Good day Members,
This is double barreled question.

1. Do you think that these shows will happen during 2021, within the current climate?

2. If they do, and you are one of the regular attendants to either of these shows, do you see yourself attending these shows during 2021?

Yes and yes. Much of my thinking is based on the President getting re-elected. If he doesn’t all Hell could break loose!
I say make your plans to go to SCI and DSC so we can all join up and support conservation and preserve our hunting rights!
Philip

Although it's much too early to speculate, it seems unlikely that any show or gathering of that size will or can take place early next year. I attend the Great American Outdoor Show in Harrisburg every year without fail. It's hard for me to imagine being in that sea of people, in that enclosed environment. I had planned to attend the DSC show in 2021 for the first time but I can't envision doing that at this moment.

Marius,

I do believe the shows will go on. We shut down the economy once and many question whether that was worth it or not. I would say however the next few months are important. If there was a so called second wave of Covid infections backed with media overhype, who knows what the gov't will do?

As of now, I'm planning to at least attend DSC. I may have to drive from Phoenix to Dallas to do so however. And nothing says fun like a drive on I-20 through the Permian Basin of west Texas......huh @Royal27, @Buff-Buster, @gizmo? :whistle: :unsure: (n) Currently my employer has a 2 week quarantine in place in that you can't come into the office for two weeks following completion of plane or train travel. So I'd really rather not turn a four day event into nearly 3 weeks of my vacation time.

I believe they will happen, especially DSC. We are back to having gun shows and much seems to be getting back to normal. I’m sure the Dems and the media will fabricate a new emergency to disrupt the economy, freedom and race relations but what else is to be expected. But I could be completely wrong as I never thought we would ruin our economy, assume debt as we have or give a career criminal a televised funeral fit for royalty!

So much up in the air now. A big question mark I think will be how many outfitters worldwide will still have the funds to use to come and exhibit after being shutout of some or all of their hunting season.

I think it is still to early to tell. With elections coming in November I think the turmoil will get worse before it get better even if this COVID thing starts to go away I think the politicians will try to keep thinks stirred up and keep people in fear as long as they can to get there way. Then it may be to late to organize the shows.
to your second question I will not be going if they do have DSC and SCI I try to go every 3-4 years and make my plans for a few safaris between each show I go to.

I think the bigger question is will it be financially viable to travel to the shows as a outfitter. if you have moved most your booking from this year to next is it worth traveling and making a presence at the shows if they do happen. With attendance I’m sure being way down And people worries about what is going on I think those who do attend will hold onto there saving for a while so I think even those going will not be booking at the shows in 2021.

you should ask a third question for those who do attend the shows if they happen do they plan on booking a hunt at those shows?

I am planning to attend one or the other as a hunter from Africa, just for the enjoyment of it. Note the word enjoyment. If people are willing to put on a show, even diminished, we owe it to them and our sport in general to support it.

I am planning to attend one or the other as a hunter from Africa, just for the enjoyment of it. Note the word enjoyment. If people are willing to put on a show, even diminished, we owe it to them and our sport in general to support it.

I just noticed my next post will be number 9000, some sort of silly milestone I guess. But with my 9000th post, let me encourage you to choose DSC. You can then join us at our annual AH soiree otherwise know as our dinner. It has grown to about 200 attendees and if I may say so is quite the party. Would love to meet you in person and hear a few Zim hunting stories.

I just noticed my next post will be number 9000, some sort of silly milestone I guess. But with my 9000th post, let me encourage you to choose DSC. You can then join us at our annual AH soiree otherwise know as our dinner. It has grown to about 200 attendees and if I may say so is quite the party. Would love to meet you in person and hear a few Zim hunting stories.

I'd say good use of a milestone post (y)

Yes and yes. Much of my thinking is based on the President getting re-elected. If he doesn’t all Hell could break loose!
I say make your plans to go to SCI and DSC so we can all join up and support conservation and preserve our hunting rights!
Philip
I am with Philip on this one, but our perspective in Texas is somewhat different than much of the rest of the country (ok maybe not Austin - the Dem city council is threatening to close businesses again). For instance, I can’t imagine a Texas employer having @PHOENIX PHIL ’s travel rule in place. However, family in some other parts of the country are still religiously if futilely masked like all their neighbors (excluding the demonstrators) - here not so much.

Another complication is that the organizations likely will have to make the call fairly soon. I am sure both want to hold them very badly. But I am not sure when they can even guarantee most of the out of country outfitters can even travel.

Of one thing I am certain. Should Biden be elected, economic closures will have lost their political utility to the Democrats. Maybe we should term them hunter demonstrations?!

If pro sports games are not being held with large audiences, I bet the shows won’t happen. The severity of the second wave of this virus will influence that.

I really enjoy the shows and will go if it is reasonable. It is my primary shopping trip of the year and a chance to spend more than I planned.

I think they will happen but am holding on to my seat to see what the latest craziness will be around election time. I was going to try and attend the DSC if I can make room on my calendar.

I attend DSC every year because I am only a five hour drive or 45 min flight from there. But right now I question everything since I am fairly confident my Sept hunt will be cancelled, or I may cancel it due to too many unknowns. If DSC happens, I will be there. I just question whether it will happen. Hotels come on line in a few weeks, and I will be looking for some guarantee that if the show is cancelled, my deposit is not dinged on my AMEX.

So, a large crowd with majority of past attendees being over 60 with no vaccine in sight. I think a lot of sensible people will stay home.

Then again no one has ever accused me of being sensible. ;)

We once faced lion and buffalo and here we are scared of a tiny little bug! Get on with it I say, some will succumb, but hunters are tougher than most. By the way, there is a theory over here that fire smoke kills covid. So I am thinking, add a scotch and a cigar around the fire side and you have sorted the odds.

Our hotel rooms are booked for both DSC and SCI. I believe the conventions will take place but my guess is that the number of people attending will be reduced.

Looking forward to the AH Get Together!

We once faced lion and buffalo and here we are scared of a tiny little bug! ...

Get me a big bore I can shoot that little bug with and I won't be scared. ;) I do not have any underlying health conditions so not to worried in regards to possible mortality. However, hate being miserable with any illness that can be avoided.

Ya'll came in record numbers to DSC in January 2020. At that time there were many contagions present at the show(maybe even this virus). Many of which we do not have vaccines for nor will we ever have a vaccine for. Some of us may have contracted a stomach bug, flu, or common cold. The vast majority of us did not get sick at the convention. Now there is a new virus out there. It has not shown a great ability to kill people in mass numbers or in a short period of time. It can make you sick just like the flu, measles, or malaria. It can kill you just like a cape buffalo can kill you yet you booked that hunt anyway. It has been used by the media and other people to create great fear. Fear is the greatest enemy at this time. Fear is the great challenge to overcome. You have an amazing immune system. It has kept you alive through many challenges. Some you have known about. Some you may not know about. In the next few years there will be a new virus and then another one and another one. If our response to this virus of staying away becomes the norm then the human spirit will be crushed. Our future generations will look back and see us as the point in time in which we quit being the species that would take on a challenge.

As a Life Member of DSC I will advocate that we hold the 2021 DSC Convention at any cost. It is time that we move forward, close the range, and engage the fear of this virus and drive out the fear.

... Now there is a new virus out there. It has not shown a great ability to kill people in mass numbers or in a short period of time...

In Orange County, CA only 18% of the people that got the virus was over 65. However, that demographic accounted for 75% of the deaths.

This is NOT just like the flu.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadwickTo

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross