DSC and SCI Shows 2021 - What are your feelings in the current environment?

But even if the DSC goes on as planned, RSA isn't opening air traffic until February 2021. Most shows are held in January if I'm not mistaken? What kind of a turn out or show would it be if a vast majority of vendors can't get there?
I hate to see any of the shows canceled, but what can be done when other countries are still banning travel?

Air Travel is allowed for Business Travel out of South Africa.
Also, the February date is not set in stone. Recent news has reported that our Tourism board is pushing for September.

I am planning to attend one or the other as a hunter from Africa, just for the enjoyment of it. Note the word enjoyment. If people are willing to put on a show, even diminished, we owe it to them and our sport in general to support it.

I know I don't have a vote in this, but I hope you come to DSC!

News here in Dallas is that we are having a record spike in new cases of Covid this week. Texas has been reopening for several weeks now, but the numbers are troubling. I hope that DSC goes on as scheduled, but will be surprised if it is as big as the past couple of years. I plan to attend to visit with my outfitter about my July 2021 hunt in Limpopo. However, I will take reasonable precautions in any large gathering of people. I don't want to take a chance on getting sick in January and missing out on my safari in July!
This virus don't care who you voted for!

Opinion requested. I am a regular attendee at DSC. The hotel I stayed in last year was only a few blocks from the convention center. It was one of DSC chosen hotels with the morning and after bus ride to the convention. Last year I booked this hotel in July at $149.00 per night. At this point DSC has not issued anything to my knowledge related to the convention. If I book this same hotel and room tonight, with no relationship to DSC, it would cost me $101 and change per night for the convention dates. As I said.....your thoughts as to why this is.

I hope they are able to hold both in 2021. However, I question whether outfitters will risk low turnout. ROI
I was at SCI this year. I go every few years, particularly if I’m looking to talk to specific outfitters face to face or looking for potential hunts.
It may have been coincidence, but upon my return home, I got extremely sick, particularly respiratory issues. Seemed worse than flu and of longer duration. Never tested for COVID or flu.

My hope is to attend DSC for the first time ever!

Let’s watch worldwide professional sports and see what happens as they open up and testing increases. Seems like a reasonable barometer. Include potential crowds and the support staff necessary to host these events.
Since I am a paramedic and treat/transport sick people, my attitude toward this virus is different than many of yours. I get a text every time someone we transported to a respiratory unit tests positive and to be extra cautious and aware of symptoms. It changes your awareness and relationships with people. Since “reopening” which I understand the need for, my state numbers have reached new highs and hospitals have seen an up tick in critical patients.
So when I think of a mass gathering of any age of people wearing masks wrong or not at all and hugging and shaking hands and spending hours in close conversations, my heart rate increases a good deal. Wouldn’t it be awful if just one of our ranks, ph or old geezer who didn’t even know he had an undiagnosed illness was infected or actually moved on to the happy hunting grounds. . .
What didn’t we know four months ago?!
What will we know in four months?!
The enemy you CANT see is the one that will kill you.
I like the concept of moving the expos back a bit in time and I guess with significant regulations in place. So I really hope it happens next year, and I have never been and would really like to attend-would really like to hunt with you someday-

If DSC is held, I'll be there for my second time (went in 2019) and attend the AH dinner again!

May go to sci if in Vegas. Just have to wait and see. Actually maybe a good year to build a trophy room and wait till things return to normal. May get it done for a good price.

I’m going to DSC Show if the show is held, and believe it will be as the economy can’t take much more of this insanity. Going to make room reservations this week. Been wanting to go for years but my business calendar always seems to get in the way, including for this year’s show. Tired of the COVID BS and the over-hype by the media, the continually wrong models of the academics, and cowardly politicians. Folks that want to live their lives in fear, have at it, I’m going to live mine and go to the show. Hope to see many of you there!!

Right now, you are looking at "a target moving through the bush !" Look how much things have changed in just the past two weeks. I read an article today how this virus is already mutating. This can change the projected picture entirely.

I think I read that DSC vendors must have deposits in around August. A lot can happen in the next month and even more after August.

I have been keeping up with Covid-19 in RSA. Things are changing there daily and not for the better.

Will there be air flights available to US in Jan/Feb ? Will foreign vendors be allowed to enter the US in Jan/Feb?

There are a lot of variables to the equation for sure.

I’ll be there for sure if it’s happening. It just keeps getting bigger and better every year! Even if it ends up a smaller show with less vendors, I’m still going. As far as I see it, I’ll just have more time to chat with the ones that do attend!

DSC has changed its convention dates to February 11-14, 2021.

Reactions: WAB
Looks like it (DSC) has officially moved the dates from January to February 11-14.

The good news is the recent flair in Covid-19 is in the right parts of the country! No left wing governors like NY & NJ who sent infected nursing home patients back to the nursing home (that was 35% of NY deaths). The flair we are now experiencing is mostly younger patients which tend not to have
as severe of disease process and that will help with heard immunity which maybe the only way that we defeat this virus! We could never develop
a vaccine for SARS-covie=1 so we may never for Covid=19 (SARS-covie-2) and we have defeated it!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JohnT3006

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg