Doubling Up On One Game Animal

seattlesetters

AH veteran
Reaction score
Do any of you commonly take two of the same game animal on one safari? If so, do you do this because maybe you took a 37” Gemsbok the first day then came across a 41” Gemsbok on day 8?

Do you ever plan on taking two of the same animals?

I really think I want to have a combo mount of two Impala rams, one a traditional shoulder mount alongside another with a “sneaking away” shoulder mount.

I think I’d like to hunt more than one Bushbuck, as well.

Any insight (to this thread or my other two) would be appreciated.

I have thought about this question myself. Going on my first safari this June. I have made up my mind on both Kudu and Warthog if I have taken one of them and a better comes along I will take it also. Cause you only live once and not sure if I might be able to go back again.

Yeck yeah, no problem I sure. Just tell your Outfitter what you want and they will do their best to accommodate you. Shoot one of everything, or shoot a truck load of one species, your Outfitter will be there to help.

I’ve taken more than one of the same species a couple of times. The first time was a scenario exactly as you described. I took a nice kudu the first morning of the hunt. Three days later we came across another that was just too good to pass up. The second time it happened was on zebra and it was only because I like hunting them and temptation just got to me. I’m sure your outfitter will be more than happy for you to double up on a couple of species.

Yes I got bit took the bigger one day after I shot the first one.

IMG_0077.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
And no I did not plan to do it either time. I’m very open minded when it comes to what I take on any trip and will rarely turn down a chance at a trophy of any species no matter how many of them I’ve taken.

I think it’s pretty common. We shot two springbok when we went. I’d probably shoot several more if given the opportunity. I have a really nice impala but would certainly shoot another if I found one that I liked. I really want another buffalo too. I could definitely see kudu as an animal I would take multiples of if given the opportunity.

I shoot baboons and impalas when the chance arises.

Hunt what you like.
Impala are beautiful animals, a double mount would be cool. Same for Kudu.
There are quite a few animals I want to hunt yet, but there are some that just don’t interest me that much. I would rather take multiple of something I really like than try to check off the list.

Do any of you commonly take two of the same game animal on one safari? If so, do you do this because maybe you took a 37” Gemsbok the first day then came across a 41” Gemsbok on day 8?

Do you ever plan on taking two of the same animals?

I really think I want to have a combo mount of two Impala rams, one a traditional shoulder mount alongside another with a “sneaking away” shoulder mount.

I think I’d like to hunt more than one Bushbuck, as well.

Any insight (to this thread or my other two) would be appreciated.

I say why not! Couple of years ago I took two zebra on the same hunt. To your first point....let’s say on day one your were able to get a 23”impala and you were very happy. But along come an obvious 26” on day six......you don’t pass up on that!
First safari my son took a blue wildebeest and a did I.
It’s all in what you want as a hunter.

You don’t pass up a second beer when it is put up in front of you! Same principle applies to Africa. Shoot straight and shoot often, you never know how many more trips the good lord will grant you before you get the big passport stamp at the pearl gates!
Cheers,
Cody

I like the combo mount idea as well. I saw a cool looking combo mount at a taxidermist's shop consisting of an Impala and a Blesbok.

Absolutely shoot more if budget and time allow. My 1st Africa hunt I shot double impala, double blue wildebeest and over 12 baboons. (The P.H. wanted to cull them) I was wondering if I was going to run out of ammo! A later hunt I shot 4 zebras but that was for bait. I have not specifically targeted multiple animals but just took what Africa offered. You don't have to taxidermy all of them.

shoot what you like!! I have a hard time passing impala over 23-24 inches. I shot two on the last trip and a female for the fire. I would go back tomorrow and hunt them again!! Patiently waiting for shipment so I can put the skulls next to the other three in my man/room cave. My daughters shot two male impala as well. So four males and three females on the last trip...I am going to need a larger room...

First safari in Namibia I shot ,
2 kudu
3 Oryx
3 Warthogs
16 Springbuck
1 Black Wildebeest
1 Hartebeest
Why ? well I went originally for the sole purpose of hunting Kudu and had already told the PH I wanted to hunt 2 .
I fell in love with hunting Oryx and Warthogs while I was there and just could not say NO when a good animal was in my sights .
I must add that one Oryx and one pig was free to shoot and used for farm meat , always a bonus with a good PH .
The Springbuck where hunted in the Kalahari on a culling mission and only stopped at 16 as time ane money were both running low .
I never had much of a plan when I left home except the two Kudu .
Dont regret a single decision on what I shot while I was there .
I might never get back to Africa although a trip is planed for the next couple of years ,but who knows ?
Shoot what you can when you can ,you dont want to arrive home with any regrets .
Cheers Dory .

To me the answer to this question has multiple points;
If you do shoot a good animal, and even if it is 10 seconds later and your trackers and PH are stuttering and drooling about the huge monster whatever critter just stepped out, and they are blathering about it being the biggest they have ever seen.... Hell yea, shoot that thing! Well as long as your PH is not both a crook and a fantastic actor;)

When I get to Namibia, I plan to take two mountain zebra if that works out. There are just so many cool things to do with them. So if you want two of something, go for it. But I would not obsess about it if it is not to be. Nor would I accept a substandard animals to make that happen... Rather I would change plans or wait for another trip and another opportunity.

Bushbuck! Hell yea! But there are so many different sub species so why not go after as many as you can? I want at least one of all the bushbuck of the world:)

On the other hand, there are so many different species available in Africa, there is no need to double up on anything on a first or second or even fith trip. Although I admit, out of over 40 African animals, I do have some doubles, triples, and 4 porcupines..... And will have more.

And when you go for buffalo, you just cannot get too many;)

I saw an awesome double gemsbok pedestal once - the wife even loved it - couldn't get it out of my head - so when I got over there a gemsbok double was right at the top of the list. now that mount is the focal point of our trophy room...
Pix? You’ve got my attention. :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HuntInSeason

Latest profile posts

dogcat1 wrote on WAB's profile.
They are yours. Please send your contact info and which pair you want.
Thanks,
Ross
FDP wrote on dogcat1's profile.
Hello, did both follow through with their transactions? If not, I'll take a pair
Roan hunt of a life time !

IHC-KB5 wrote on Huvius's profile.
Thanks for catching the Flanged brass - much appreciated!
new updates !