Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Black Sheep Bowmen Archery Club.
Hunted
Namibia and South Africa
I live in Alaska, absolutely no one here would say anything but praise about that for any hunting here, especially coastal brownies. Stainless is a given in my book and although I love nice wood I have synthetic or laminate stocks for the cruddy weather hunts.

Ray B

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
USA/Canada
the beauty is in the performance. when S&W started making revolvers with Stainless a lot of gunsmiths pitched fits- but I carried a Model 66 as duty revolver for years and it needed minimal care. Same with a rifle that is carried in wet/humid conditions. If the lightness bothers you, it can be plated to a dark color. a few years back I got a Sako 85 stainless with laminated stock 7/08 Rem- seems the ol' Model 70 gets let at home most times anymore.

spike.t

Sponsor
Since 2013
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Website
www.takerireservezambia.com
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
sci int, basc,wpaz
Hunted
zambia, tanzania, zimbabwe,Mozambique ,hungary, france, england
I also have a more traditional 500 Jeffery, but will probably buy a B&C synthetic stock to switch it into for Alaska. I'm more concerned about it changing point of impact due to weather than damage to the stock. I will switch it back to the walnut stock when I return, it's just so pretty lol

colorado do you know with the B&C stocks is it just a straight swop or do they need some fitting? i have emailed CZ about one of their synthetic stocks for my 500 jeff which my .416 rigby has, so waiting to see what they say.

Bullthrower338

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Australia/NZ
Member of
Life Member Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation, NRA, Huntin' Fool, DSC and Pope and Young Club
Hunted
USA, Mexico, Canada, RSA, Australia NT, Zimbabwe
Great choice, especially for AK. Tough country needs tough guns. I have three MRC's personally and we have sold several. Haven't had any complaints or trouble out of mine or the ones we have sold. I actually bought a 416 Rem Mag SS/Syn for AK, but ended up taking my 338 RUM(old habits are hard to break). I love that 416 though. You should be happy with your purchase.
image.jpeg

Congrats,
Cody

bassasdaindia

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
colorado do you know with the B&C stocks is it just a straight swop or do they need some fitting? i have emailed CZ about one of their synthetic stocks for my 500 jeff which my .416 rigby has, so waiting to see what they say.

mike , i use CZ's synthetic stocks , my .458 lott has one and i am busy with another .416 rigby at the moment , good stocks .

colorado

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
If you're shooting factory ammunition. It's hard to go wrong with the Remington Safari Grade loaded with 300g A-Frames. We've had great luck with them on black bear and brown bear. No cape buffalo yet, but maybe down the road ...

Ridgewalker

Lifetime bronze benefactor
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Hunted
South Africa: Limpopo, Northwest; USA: Ak, Mt, Wy, Co, Ne, Ks, Nv, NM, Tx
Great choice, especially for AK. Tough country needs tough guns. I have three MRC's personally and we have sold several. Haven't had any complaints or trouble out of mine or the ones we have sold. I actually bought a 416 Rem Mag SS/Syn for AK, but ended up taking my 338 RUM(old habits are hard to break). I love that 416 though. You should be happy with your purchase.
View attachment 160054
Congrats,
Cody
Nice looking MRC you have! I'll see how mine does hopefully this week at the range.

Art Lambart II

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
NRA Life Member, SCI, QDMA
Hunted
MI, TX, MO, South Africa Limpopo & Northwest Provinces
I'm not laughing but I an jealous.

BWH

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
Ducks Unlimited, SCI, DSC & NRA
Hunted
USA, Mexico, RSA
Stainless & synthetic is perfect for me when my hunting calls for it.... When it's for show or the conditions are perfect with no rain, conditions, thorns, etc.... Bring on the wood.... Which is rare for me!!!!

Ragman

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Hunted
Canada(Sask./B.C.), Namibia, RSA(Eastern Cape) USA(Texas)
I'd never laugh at another man's rifle. My parents raised me better than that. Congrats on a great new rifle...hope it gives you years of enjoyment!

Ray B

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
USA/Canada
Some rifles are for show, Some are for go- that one will definitely GO!!

sheephunterab

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Website
www.outdoorquesttv.com
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Europe
Australia/NZ
Member of
SCI, Wild Sheep Foundation, AFGA
Hunted
Tanzania, Namibia, South Africa, New Zealand, Australia, Azerbaijan, Kyrgyzstan, Argentina, Canada, USA, Russia
Yours
27152_10152259949000400_570658986_n.jpg
looks pretty tame beside mine!

Attachments

• 27152_10152259949000400_570658986_n.jpg
    27152_10152259949000400_570658986_n.jpg
    16.9 KB · Views: 113

Ridgewalker

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Hunted
Wow! Sheephunterab that is pretty wild! I like it! Did you paint it?

sheephunterab

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Website
www.outdoorquesttv.com
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Europe
Australia/NZ
Member of
Hunted
Tanzania, Namibia, South Africa, New Zealand, Australia, Azerbaijan, Kyrgyzstan, Argentina, Canada, USA, Russia

Ridgewalker

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Hunted
IMG_1463.JPG
Finally got to test my first handloads. Using 235 gr Speer SP, WLRM primers and a "ladder" test of CFE223 from the Hodgdon website. Loads were from 78.0-84.5 in one grain increments for all except for the last which was only .5 step.
You can see the results. I forgot to bring a fouling load, so the 78.0 load at the bottom was used. The rest clustered so close I couldn't separate them except the last shot.
My conclusion is I might as well use the fastest load, because it appears that it doesn't make a lot of difference.
I now have the barrel broken-in per MRC's manual and a light, easy recoiling, but fast load to learn the handling characteristics with.
Next tests will be a 250 gr Barnes TTSX for plains game. Oh and finding a factory 300 gr load both SP and solid for tougher game.

sheephunterab

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Website
www.outdoorquesttv.com
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Europe
Australia/NZ
Member of
Hunted
A 250-grain mono metal will be tough enough for anything you point it at!

PHOENIX PHIL

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
SCI
Hunted
USA, S. Africa
View attachment 160460
Finally got to test my first handloads. Using 235 gr Speer SP, WLRM primers and a "ladder" test of CFE223 from the Hodgdon website. Loads were from 78.0-84.5 in one grain increments for all except for the last which was only .5 step.
You can see the results. I forgot to bring a fouling load, so the 78.0 load at the bottom was used. The rest clustered so close I couldn't separate them except the last shot.
My conclusion is I might as well use the fastest load, because it appears that it doesn't make a lot of difference.
I now have the barrel broken-in per MRC's manual and a light, easy recoiling, but fast load to learn the handling characteristics with.
Next tests will be a 250 gr Barnes TTSX for plains game. Oh and finding a factory 300 gr load both SP and solid for tougher game.

Very well done!

Art Lambart II

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
NRA Life Member, SCI, QDMA
Hunted
MI, TX, MO, South Africa Limpopo & Northwest Provinces
That target says money well spent.

Ridgewalker

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Hunted
I drew a private land cow elk tag this year. I think I might try this load to see how it does.

sheephunterab

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Website
www.outdoorquesttv.com
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Europe
Australia/NZ
Member of
Hunted
My prediction would be dead elk!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LeopoldoPi

Latest profile posts

Cervus elaphus wrote on Bob Nelson 35Whelen's profile.
Hi Bob, how's things going in Wyong?. Down your way a couple of years back but haven't been in NSW since Ebor for the fishing. just getting over some nasty storms up here in Qld, seeing the sun for the first time in a few days. I'm going to NZ in the spring and hope to clean up a few buns while there and perhaps shake the spiders out of my old .303LE (currently owned by my BIL). Cheers Brian
A couple pictures of the sable i chased for miles in Mozambique, Coutada 9!! We finally caught up to him and I had the trophy of a lifetime. Mokore Safaris, Doug Duckworth PH
sable Coutada 9.JPG
sable 2 - Coutada 9.JPG
Safari Dave wrote on egrmpty507's profile.
Did you purchase your hunt at a US SCI fundraiser?
uplander01 wrote on colorado's profile.
Heard you may have load data for the 500 Jeffery,.....any info would be appreciated. Was thinking 535gr, but already had a response that the 570gr would be a better way to go, not sure why.
Rickmt wrote on Leica Sport Optics's profile.
will Leica Amplus 6-2.5x15x50 fit on a pro success Blaser with low mount?