AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Hunted
South Africa: Limpopo, Northwest; USA: Ak, Mt, Wy, Co, Ne, Ks, Nv, NM, Tx
Good morning at the range. Found two good 250 gr Barnes TTSX bullet loads. See thumbnails. One 3 shots in 1/2" and the other 3 in 9/16". Time to load up a box, chronograph them, sight in my rifle and get a CDS turret for my scope.

WooHoo! Nothing like a successful day at the range...except for a successful day in the field!

FullSizeRender 2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Ray B

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
USA/Canada
If I understand this correctly, you went to the range and fired a total of 6 shots?

Ridgewalker

Lifetime bronze benefactor
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Hunted
Wish it was that easy, but I fired a total round count of 21 in the 375. I was also testing some Barnes loads in my 30-06 which didn't turn out so well.

Oh and I practiced maybe another 20-25 rounds in my bolt action CZ 22LR over a standing tripod.

Ridgewalker

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Hunted
Cold breezy afternoon at the range, but I tried factory Barnes Vor-TX 300 gr TSX and after dirtying the bore (5 rounds of PPU 300 SP) I fired three shots in 1.0". This factory load should work fine for eland, giraffe and buff I would think?

IMG_1535.JPG

cpr0312

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Australia/NZ
Member of
NRA Life Member
Hunted
US (All over), New Zealand, South Africa(Northern Cape, Northwest), Zimbabwe, Zambia

Ridgewalker

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Hunted
I didn't have time to test my Peregrine 230 PlainsMasters, but it's nice to know a factory load will work for the heavy tasks. I enjoy reloading, but if rushed, I can just grab some factory Barnes loads.

johnnyblues

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Mex/S.Amer
Hunted
USA, ALASKA Canada, New Zealand, Mexico Africa.
No doubt. I usually sight in 2 high at 100. With a group like that and those Barnes bullets I'd have no fear whatsoever. Good luck.

Ridgewalker

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Hunted
Thanks Johnnyblues. I'm in hopes of going back to Africa in 2017 and taking some DG and some of the night critters. Just trying to get ready.

Savage Hunter

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
well, I don't own a big bore. But, I plan to in the Spring. I am ONLY interested in stainless synthetic. I would like to hunt Alaska one day, but even if I don't, I basically only want SS/syn anymore.
I would like to have a rifle with iron sights and Quick release mounts, but it seems the 2 rifles I like don't have them.

Savage Bear Hunter 375 Ruger
u1HNv053X_s2oIK4mz8.png

and the Weatherby Mark V Weathermark in 375 H&H
mark-v_weathermark.jpg

the Bear Hunter I've looked at and like very much. The only thing I don't like is the camo stock. I don't like them.
The Weatherby, I've only seen this picture and writeups on it. I must go to the shop and actually look at one.
The Savage is about $450 cheaper, but the difference is immaterial to me.
The Weatherby can be had at just under $1300 if one can be found. That is my upper limit.

I wonder if is is possible to have iron sights put on either of these? and how expensive? and is it feasible?

Attachments

• u1HNv053X_s2oIK4mz8.png
    u1HNv053X_s2oIK4mz8.png
    102.9 KB · Views: 118
  • mark-v_weathermark.jpg
    mark-v_weathermark.jpg
    15.4 KB · Views: 140

Ridgewalker

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Hunted
I like both of those too. I got the MRC because it is almost identical to the pre64 Win Mdl 70. It came with iron sights. Check them out on Gunbroker. I see the prices ranging from $1,099-&1,339. You'll have that or more in your gun by the time you have a gunsmith install iron sights. Also they use Mdl 70 scope mounts, so you can get the Leupold QR mounts for them, or Weaver style.
Just a thought.
http://montanarifleco.com/?page_id=180

Paparock94

AH member
Reaction score
It's how it performs that counts. I once had a custom .375 H&H that while it was not the most handsome rifle in the traditional way shoot like a house a fire and I wish I had never parted with it. Black fiberglass stock and matte Armoloy metal parts including barrel. It was a custom build by Dale Story out of Casper, Wyoming. I was in Texas and let someone talk me out of it since I didn't think I would ever have use for a .375H&H again. Dumb, mistake!

Enjoy what you have and don't let others influence you.

Last edited:

Dr Ray

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Australia/NZ
Got the 375 H&H bug. Needed something bigger than my 300 Win Mag, so I finally decided on a Montana Rifles Company even though there were mixed reviews. I was looking at ordering one special, then they told me there was an up to 8 month lead time...Yikes at my age I could be dead by then! So I found one already set up on GB. Ordered it and just picked it up.
Don't laugh cause it's the Colorado Buck stainless steel, Cerakoted, muzzle brake, carbon/Kevlar stock with Leupold QR mounted VX-6 1-6x scope. Not the classic wood blued Safari gun. I have made 3 hunting trips to Alaska and plan to try one more time for a coastal brown bear. I took a nice little Kimber classic 308 there for black bear and got so tired of taking the gun apart to dry it out every night that the next two Kodiak trips I borrowed a 375 Sako all stainless synthetic. MUCH EASIER to just shake the water off and run a snake down the bore...you're done.

As soon as I get to the range, I'll let you know how it shoots/functions.

I’m getting a 375 soon in Sako s/steel. Not sure what scope but probably a Swarovski 3-9x36.
I will go for the walnut stock. I have a Sako synthetic stock w a s/steel barrel etc w a Swarovski 3.6-18 x42 scope. I tend to use this one in high humidity and swampy country.
I have no problems at all but previously I had issues w the salty high humidity factors and actually had many rust issues on a blued barrel rifle.
No one would be laughing about your new 375 because it’s designed to function perfectly in those conditions you mentioned.
All the best.

enysse

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
Northeast Wisconsin SCI chapter, Lifetime member of NRA,RMEF
Hunted
Namibia, South Africa (East Cape, Guateng and Limpopo)
Just catching up with this thread. I remember watching Colorado Buck on TV and seeing his gun in action, he hunted the world with that gun. He shot it very well, just like you!!!

Abeln

AH veteran
Reaction score
It's beautiful. You know a synthetic stock made to look like high grade walnut would be cool. Would be the best of both worlds
Mcmillan does a wood grain hydro dip on their stocks. It looks decent.

Abeln

AH veteran
Reaction score
I like both of those too. I got the MRC because it is almost identical to the pre64 Win Mdl 70. It came with iron sights. Check them out on Gunbroker. I see the prices ranging from $1,099-&1,339. You'll have that or more in your gun by the time you have a gunsmith install iron sights. Also they use Mdl 70 scope mounts, so you can get the Leupold QR mounts for them, or Weaver style.
Just a thought.
http://montanarifleco.com/?page_id=180
Just curious, how has the MRC been treating you? It does look like a fine rifle and definitely as accurate as anything out there.

I was on the fence myself about purchasing one in synthetic/ss and ended up with a model 70 wood/blue. Go figure.

Ridgewalker

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Hunted
Just curious, how has the MRC been treating you? It does look like a fine rifle and definitely as accurate as anything out there.

I was on the fence myself about purchasing one in synthetic/ss and ended up with a model 70 wood/blue. Go figure.

Win Mdl 70s are great. My MRC has worked very well. I took a Cape buffalo, bushbuck, Bushpig and duiker with PawPrints in September 2017.

Debating whether to take it again using the 250gr Barnes, or my Tikka 300 WM with 200gr A-frames for sable and Black Wildebeest in 2018. The Tikka is much lighter to carry around.

mdwest

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Mex/S.Amer
Member of
DSC Life Member, NRA Life Member
Hunted
USA, South Africa, Argentina, Peru
Win Mdl 70s are great.

My .375 is a Win 70 classic stainless.. its been a great rifle.. accurate.. and incredibly reliable.. also isnt picky about ammo at all.. I've put everything from cheap PPU and PMC ammo to Barnes and Nosler factory loads through it.. 250-300 grains.. so far everything has grouped at .75" or less @ 100 yards

Abeln

AH veteran
Reaction score
Win Mdl 70s are great. My MRC has worked very well. I took a Cape buffalo, bushbuck, Bushpig and duiker with PawPrints in September 2017.

Debating whether to take it again using the 250gr Barnes, or my Tikka 300 WM with 200gr A-frames for sable and Black Wildebeest in 2018. The Tikka is much lighter to carry around.
That would be a tough call. As sweet as that montana is I'd probably have to take it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AudreyTibb

Latest profile posts

degoins wrote on Treemantwo's profile.
I have a like new VC .450 I might part with. I had it built in 2013 and it has served me well. Also have a VC fitted leather trunk case for it along with the plastic case it came with. I'll take 14000 for all of it.
Matt W wrote on Jody's profile.
Hi Jody,
I have been looking for ideas on the best way to display my European mounts from Africa. I came across some of your shield work and was wondering if you would be willing to make one for me? If so, please let me know the cost. I like the shield with the two spears that you built for a member years ago. Thanks.
cal pappas wrote on Mnelson2's profile.
Nelson. Is this message a PM format. I want to send you my email, but don't know if this is the cirrect way to do it. I'm at <pappas@mtaonline.net> Send me an email with your phone and I will call you about a skull I have. I went to school in Boston and am from Bernardston in the west part of the state. Moved to Alaska in 1984 adn never looked back.
BeeMaa wrote on Justbryan's profile.
Sold a Blaser scope mount to him. He was a pleasure to do business with.
BeeMaa wrote on 375Fox's profile.
Sold a Blaser scope mount to him. Was a pleasure to do business with.