Does anyone know if Qatar Airways allows Duffel Bags to be Checked Baggage?

postoak

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA Patriot Life member Benefactor Level
Hunted
U.S.A., R.S.A, Namibia
I've got a nice duffel bag that I'd like to use on my next trip to SA.

Qatar will allow it but Johannesburg airport will not. We used duffel bag to fly to Windhoek in 19 on Qatar no problems. It’s the airport that doesn’t like duffel bags. It has to have a flat side for Johannesburg airport

I used an Osprey duffel to and from RSA on Qatar Airways without any problem. A buddy of mine used a duffel as well and no issues.

DD75E9C5-F254-4395-A7BD-79DD33940CEA.jpeg

I have used a rolling duffle every trip. OR Tambo airport says it has to have one hard side or bottom, so I understand. I have never had problems with it.

I used a rolling duffle. They had no issues with it.

I used a Red Oxx Safari in June and had zero issues checking it in Houston on Qatar or in OR Tambo.

I have used a rolling duffle every trip. OR Tambo airport says it has to have one hard side or bottom, so I understand. I have never had problems with it.
This is the correct answer based on my experience in OR Tambo airport. One side has to be hard and flat.

Thanks, I'm glad I asked. I just checked and my bag has a soft bottom.

I wonder if this soft-sided case that came when I bought my Tuffpak would be allowed. It is like a folding garment bag. While it can be attached to the Tuffpak, it would be separate when checked due to weight. It is kind of like the old Air Force B4 suitcase.

Tuffpak luggage.jpg

JNB says one side flat, not sure if enforced.

I used a Red Oxx Safari in June and had zero issues checking it in Houston on Qatar or in OR Tambo.
Red Oxx are great bags. The only issue I have with them is if I have a layover I am concerned about lack of locks, so I take a hard case. I do use their PR5 for carryon and have used their PR 5.5 as check in in the past when I did not have a long layover.

Red Oxx are great bags. The only issue I have with them is if I have a layover I am concerned about lack of locks, so I take a hard case. I do use their PR5 for carryon and have used their PR 5.5 as check in in the past when I did not have a long layover.
I took the TSA locks and looped them through the zippers to secure them to the locking rings on the bag. Sure someone could've ripped them off or cut the fabric, but reality is if someone wanted in they'll get in regardless. That's even the case with a hardside pelican or skb type gun case. Locks aren't there to keep thieves out, just deter/slow them down.

Personally I wasn't as concerned about that. I only had clothes and ammo (locked in a separate pelican case) inside that + my pelican with my gun/bow. I had my binos in my carry-in with a set of clothes. Worst case I've got a set of clothes I'm wearing and the set in my carry-on I could've just hunted with that and only needed to grab a light jacket

I use a duffel or two as I stick a lot of different things in my bags that have different shapes, the OR Tambo Airport changed the rules on soft bags (in 2019 I think it was) as they said it was jamming the machines up, this was after I had flown in, I'm there 6+ months, any way I just had it wrapped & they added a card board bottom & that was cool, so going in you will be Ok & get it wrapped going out, that should do it, not a bad thing having it wrapped any way ?

I've got a nice duffel bag that I'd like to use on my next trip to SA
Even though you won't be using your duffel on the upcoming trip, I will offer a bit of advice for when you do. When you check in at the airport, ask for one of those large plastic bags that keep on a roll behind the counter. Put your duffel in that bag. You'll need to make a hole for the baggage tag to stick through. The plastic bag will reduce the usual wear and tear on the duffel, plus it will protect the straps/handles from getting caught on the baggage handling equipment.

Personally, I try to get by with just a carry on bag plus a large computer bag. It works in Africa, No way it can work in the arctic. :)

I just flew Qatar through Doha and there seemed to be quite a few duffels getting loaded on board. I also noticed that lots of folks were having their bags wrapped in plastic wrap.

I just returned with a duffel. I put the shoulder strap in bag on arrival at airport and had no issue. The special people at ticketing in joberg is another story tho

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
indiagpt

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois