Decent scope for .22?

Discussion in 'Hunting Equipment, Gear & Optics' started by Rick Cox, Feb 13, 2020.

1. Rick Cox

Rick Cox SILVER SUPPORTER AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    Namibia, South Africa, British Colombia Ca.
    Nikon is definitely on my list.

2. thi9elsp

thi9elsp GOLD SUPPORTER AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    Life Member: Buckmasters, NRA, RMEF, DSC, SCI, and CCA
    Hunted:
    Zimbabwe, Mozambique
    I would suggest looking at the BSA Sweet 22 3-9x40 with Parallax. I put one on my Ruger 10/22 and really like the fact that I can go from 50 yards to 100 yards and keeping on focal plane. The glass is fine for me and I have been very happy with it. They're about $100 on Amazon. My use for my 22 LR is to practice squeezing while I'm shooting my hunting rifles. I had the trigger replaced on the rifle and adjusted to match my other rifles so they all break at the weight.

3. Standard Velocity

Standard Velocity AH Veteran

Any scope with a screw on objective (most evening but Burris) can be parallax adjusted by you at home. I’ve done it for several scopes.

The only one that’s given me a problem is a Leupold. It’s on there tight like red Locktite.

If you find an illuminated reticle scope you like just dial in the parallax by removing the objective bell.

I prefer the old Leupold rimfire scopes. The new ones are too big. 2-7 or fixed 4 is about right for squirrel hunting.

4. Timbo

Timbo AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    BGRC PFRC & SSAA
    Hunted:
    Australia (WA & NT), Zimbabwe, Zambia, South Africa
    What is the main purpose are you going use the scope for - hunting or target shooting?

If I were using it for hunting, then any decent 3-9x variable (or a fixed 6x), on 1" mounts, will do the job nicely: these being fairly light in weight and low in profile for hunting purposes.

I used to own a "Turret" fixed 6x power scope on my Brno 22lr. It had thick horizontal and vertical outer crosshairs, which ended in a thick circle, within which were the finest of crosshairs I've ever seen! The beauty of this optical set-up was that it was perfect for normal daylight use, but in low light conditions, that thick circle truly came into it's own! It was then that I realised why that thick circle was there! It was there to be used like a peep sight to sight in on, to place the bullet on the game. I bought this scope for $40 - and the guy who designed it was an absolute genius, and knew precisely what he wanted that scope to do!!

For competitive benchrest target shooting I'd mount a Tasco fixed 36x scope with a fine crosshair. The Tasco gives excellent optics, with the crosshairs not interfering with bullet placement on the target. (y)

Hogpatrol likes this.

5. Dwight Beagle

Dwight Beagle AH Enthusiast

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    US, Mexico and Argentina
    I read about the Clearidge Ultra RM 3-9x32 AO rimfire scope on Rimfire Central a number of years ago. The reviews were so positive I decided to try one when I got a CZ 512. I’ve had it for eight years and haven’t been disappointed. They are made by LOW in Japan which makes top notch stuff.

To me the VX-2 EFR 3-9x33 was the ultimate rimfire scope. It morphed into the VX-Freedom EFR 3-9x33. To my eyes the Clearidge is just as good when compared apples to apples.
    https://www.clearidgeoptics.com/mobile/Category.aspx?id=1814

Attached Files:

Timbo likes this.

6. wvhunt

wvhunt New Member

Since you're getting a Tikka, I'd skip the cheapo scopes. The Leupold EFR 3-9x33 with adjustable objective makes a great lightweight 22 scope. I wouldn't buy anything without an adjustable objective. You'll never get top accuracy that Tikka is capable of without it.

7. tedthorn

tedthorn AH Enthusiast

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    Eastern Cape of South Africa
    I have a Leupold VXIII 3.5-10X40 on my Kimber K22

8. BWH

BWH AH ENABLER AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    Ducks Unlimited, Texas Trophy Hunters, Trout Unlimited, SCI, DSC & NRA
    Hunted:
    USA & RSA
    I have a little Vortex on mine. Affordable & clear. I normally look through Leupold.

9. buckmarkhunter

buckmarkhunter AH Enthusiast

Video/Photo:
    I went with a larger power scope for my 22. It’s an Athelon 4-18 with the Mill reticle and lit. I think it was about $270. If you could find a leupold that is used in larger power you can have a lot of fun with it. I bring my 10 yr old to the range tell him to put the 7 on the reticle on the plate at 200 and he hits it. All with regular 22 ammo.

Ridgewalker likes this.

10. Dr Ray

Dr Ray AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    I use a Leupold rimfire scope. Works well for me on my Sako 22.

11. jtb

jtb New Member

I like the Leupold EFR 3-9X33mm for general hunting, but prefer something in the 4-12X or slightly higher for informal paper punching with quality 22lr's.

12. BWH

BWH AH ENABLER AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    Ducks Unlimited, Texas Trophy Hunters, Trout Unlimited, SCI, DSC & NRA
    Hunted:
    USA & RSA
    Leupold & Vortex makes plenty of excellent options