Decent scope for .22?

Just purchased a Nikon .22 Rimfire scope, 4-12 power. Haven't had it out to the range yet but for the money, it's a decent scope. I have Burris Droptines on my .17 Rimfires and for the money, another good scope. Both can be found at reasonable prices on ebay and Midway. May be lower elsewhere but these are the best prices I've recently found.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1016301263?pid=543833

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Burris-Dro...pe-Ballistic-Plex-Reticle-200077/303097332647
Nikon is definitely on my list.

I would suggest looking at the BSA Sweet 22 3-9x40 with Parallax. I put one on my Ruger 10/22 and really like the fact that I can go from 50 yards to 100 yards and keeping on focal plane. The glass is fine for me and I have been very happy with it. They're about $100 on Amazon. My use for my 22 LR is to practice squeezing while I'm shooting my hunting rifles. I had the trigger replaced on the rifle and adjusted to match my other rifles so they all break at the weight.

Any scope with a screw on objective (most evening but Burris) can be parallax adjusted by you at home. I’ve done it for several scopes.

The only one that’s given me a problem is a Leupold. It’s on there tight like red Locktite.

If you find an illuminated reticle scope you like just dial in the parallax by removing the objective bell.

I prefer the old Leupold rimfire scopes. The new ones are too big. 2-7 or fixed 4 is about right for squirrel hunting.

What is the main purpose are you going use the scope for - hunting or target shooting?

If I were using it for hunting, then any decent 3-9x variable (or a fixed 6x), on 1" mounts, will do the job nicely: these being fairly light in weight and low in profile for hunting purposes.

I used to own a "Turret" fixed 6x power scope on my Brno 22lr. It had thick horizontal and vertical outer crosshairs, which ended in a thick circle, within which were the finest of crosshairs I've ever seen! The beauty of this optical set-up was that it was perfect for normal daylight use, but in low light conditions, that thick circle truly came into it's own! It was then that I realised why that thick circle was there! It was there to be used like a peep sight to sight in on, to place the bullet on the game. I bought this scope for $40 - and the guy who designed it was an absolute genius, and knew precisely what he wanted that scope to do!!

For competitive benchrest target shooting I'd mount a Tasco fixed 36x scope with a fine crosshair. The Tasco gives excellent optics, with the crosshairs not interfering with bullet placement on the target. (y)

I read about the Clearidge Ultra RM 3-9x32 AO rimfire scope on Rimfire Central a number of years ago. The reviews were so positive I decided to try one when I got a CZ 512. I’ve had it for eight years and haven’t been disappointed. They are made by LOW in Japan which makes top notch stuff.

To me the VX-2 EFR 3-9x33 was the ultimate rimfire scope. It morphed into the VX-Freedom EFR 3-9x33. To my eyes the Clearidge is just as good when compared apples to apples.
https://www.clearidgeoptics.com/mobile/Category.aspx?id=1814

Attachments

• Screenshot (487).png
    Screenshot (487).png
    29.5 KB · Views: 79
Since you're getting a Tikka, I'd skip the cheapo scopes. The Leupold EFR 3-9x33 with adjustable objective makes a great lightweight 22 scope. I wouldn't buy anything without an adjustable objective. You'll never get top accuracy that Tikka is capable of without it.

I have a little Vortex on mine. Affordable & clear. I normally look through Leupold.

I went with a larger power scope for my 22. It’s an Athelon 4-18 with the Mill reticle and lit. I think it was about $270. If you could find a leupold that is used in larger power you can have a lot of fun with it. I bring my 10 yr old to the range tell him to put the 7 on the reticle on the plate at 200 and he hits it. All with regular 22 ammo.

I use a Leupold rimfire scope. Works well for me on my Sako 22.

I like the Leupold EFR 3-9X33mm for general hunting, but prefer something in the 4-12X or slightly higher for informal paper punching with quality 22lr's.

Leupold & Vortex makes plenty of excellent options

IMG_1332.JPG
Folks, thanks for all your input. I looked at Leupold, Bushnell, and a few Chinese scopes, one was interesting - ticked all the boxes, illuminated reticle, 4-18x , adjustable parralex, 30mm tube etc. But it was hard to adjust focus, heavy, didn't seem very bright ( I know, it should have been a match), but I bought a Burris 2-7. Very bright, large, heavy duplex reticle. I liked the Leupold optics but found the the reticle too fine for my eyes.
One caveat is that I really like to hold something and look at it to make a purchase decision unless I really know the product. When I tried the Burris it was bright, clear, and easy to see the reticle in dim light. And had the nice feature of being inexpensive.
I also bought some subsonic ammo for it and Holy, is it quiet! Quieter than many pellet guns I think.
Should fun. Can't wait to sight it in.

Rick, most of my big game rifles have illuminated reticles which I love, but none of my 22LR, 22 Mag nor 17 HMR Rifles have them. I don’t know of a reasonably priced rim fire scope illuminated.
I mostly have Burris Droptine rimfire scopes on my rimfires. I am quite happy with them. I only wish they would up the power range particularly for the 17 HMR. 9x isn’t enough, IMO, for a 200 yard prairie rat shot.
If you need more power than 9x, you will need an adjustable objective to correct the parallax for rimfires.
I’ll be watching this for new ideas for myself.
As you can see I bought a Burris. Thanks for your input.

I do not think you need illuminated scope for a .22. I have the Leupold 2-7 on both my sons 10/22’s (gemtek suppressor barrels, hogue stocks) and they are pretty cool!

I do not think you need illuminated scope for a .22. I have the Leupold 2-7 on both my sons 10/22’s (gemtek suppressor barrels, hogue stocks) and they are pretty cool!
They do sound cool. I wish the laws in Canada regards suppressors were different. The Leupold were at the top of my list. I get varmits hanging around at night, last year two raccoons. The year before a bobcat. We've had cougars on the property as close as the house and coyotes. An illuminated reticle would have been nice.

I went with a larger power scope for my 22. It’s an Athelon 4-18 with the Mill reticle and lit. I think it was about $270. If you could find a leupold that is used in larger power you can have a lot of fun with it. I bring my 10 yr old to the range tell him to put the 7 on the reticle on the plate at 200 and he hits it. All with regular 22 ammo.
Wow!

I have Leupold FX-II 2.5 power fixed ultralight scopes on 3 of my 22's and they're great, light, clear, sharp and so far I haven't had any problems killing cans, targets, squirrels, rabbits and ground squirrels.

6605099_02_leupold_fx_ii_ultralight_2_5x2_640.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ModestaHac

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg