Dealing with wounded Cape buffalo

I believe you are right and that probably comes from the fact that due to tv shows is everyone wants to see that one shot kill, not shoot until it stops moving as it should be
Of the buffalo I’ve shot, only the first one died with a single shot. But that’s because I keep shooting as quickly as I can till they’re either out of sight or dead…. Or I run out of bullets! ;)

The last one got a .416 400 grain Bear Claw in front of chest at 40 yards (through the heart) and another a few seconds later that clipped the bottom of his spine as he ran off. First shot to down was perhaps 10-15 yards. Ammo is cheap and buffalo are a great way to shoot more ammo!

I don’t want to come across as a hypocrite given I hunt buff with a DR but what I have noticed is many people shoot their bolt action and “admire” the shot versus immediately cycling the bolt
This is true. You wouldn’t believe how many times I have to tell a client to cycle and keep shooting! Probably 50% of the time. Crazy to me.

I believe you are right and that probably comes from the fact that due to tv shows is everyone wants to see that one shot kill, not shoot until it stops moving as it should be
It seems to me that everyone should want to see a one shot kill regardless of the game, but having said that, there is no reason not to cycle the bolt as soon.as the shot is taken, then shoot again if the animal is still up. Shot placement with an adequate rifle cartridge is always the most important thing, but whether you're hunting buffalo or rabbits, the ability to make a fast follow up shot is always desirable. While I do hunt coyotes with a single shot, you will never find me using one for buffalo. The need to make a follow up shot may come too fast for that.

This is true. You wouldn’t believe how many times I have to tell a client to cycle and keep shooting! Probably 50% of the time. Crazy to me.
I think maybe inexperience delays some people's reaction time.

Hi there!

With a DR you normally will shoot both and reload.....

With a bolt, lets say you got 4 rounds....shall we empty the magazine on the follow up and reload or keep at least one in case of charge and then reload??

I don’t want to come across as a hypocrite given I hunt buff with a DR but what I have noticed is many people shoot their bolt action and “admire” the shot versus immediately cycling the bolt

I've seen videos with people training to shoot a charging bear. A bear target rigged on a cable, or similar. Mostly, when the target stops a very short distance from the shooter, they stop acting as if there was any threat remaining.

I followed up my wounded buff with my Ruger No1 375 H&H, it is what I had. My PH had a 416 bolt gun that later had a freshie, didn't pick up a round. I would be far more comfortable on the next follow up, if there is one, with a double rifle in my hands and one in my PH's hands also.
I wouldn't be so sure.You only have 2 shots.
Everyone who hunts with a shotgun has already wished for the third shot in his twin-or even the fourth.
Our hunters who hunt for wounded wild boars in the thickest bushes, in the worst weather, none of them want a double rifle. That always makes me think.

Yes, I know, in Africa it has a different tradition, but that is also because over 100 years ago there were no repeating rifles in a calibre comparable to that of the double rifles.
The 404, which came out before World War I, is not an adequate comparison to the powerful rimfire cartridges.

Hi there!

With a DR you normally will shoot both and reload.....

With a bolt, lets say you got 4 rounds....shall we empty the magazine on the follow up and reload or keep at least one in case of charge and then reload??
Based on the one bull that I shot and refused to fall over, I can only say that anytime we weren't actually shooting, we were topping off. Neither the PH or I wanted to run the risk of an empty magazine. Even at that, the PH's PF rifle malfunctioned and I broke the bull's neck when he was closing on the PH at about 10 feet. Would it have worked out just as well with a DR instead of CRF bolt gun? Probably, but I think I'll stick with the bolt gun. Fast forward 39 years and 2 months. Same PH, my same .458, buffalo presenting about the same shot. I remembered to hold about 3 or 4 inches higher on the shoulder to hit higher in the heart. At the shot the bull dove behind a patch of acacia with no time for a second shot, regardless of rifle action.He made it about 25 yards and was piled up dead. In that case even a single shot would have worked just as well, but why risk it?

Based on the one bull that I shot and refused to fall over, I can only say that anytime we weren't actually shooting, we were topping off. Neither the PH or I wanted to run the risk of an empty magazine. Even at that, the PH's PF rifle malfunctioned and I broke the bull's neck when he was closing on the PH at about 10 feet. Would it have worked out just as well with a DR instead of CRF bolt gun? Probably, but I think I'll stick with the bolt gun. Fast forward 39 years and 2 months. Same PH, my same .458, buffalo presenting about the same shot. I remembered to hold about 3 or 4 inches higher on the shoulder to hit higher in the heart. At the shot the bull dove behind a patch of acacia with no time for a second shot, regardless of rifle action.He made it about 25 yards and was piled up dead. In that case even a single shot would have worked just as well, but why risk it?
It is Sunday morning, I am feeling strong and can take a beating. So here goes:
Yet another story of a bolt gun failing on a buff. My PH's bolt gun failed on my buff, my hunting partners father in law's bolt gun failed on a buff and it put him in hospital for many months. Last year we lost a PH to an ele in the Valley, bolt gun. How many more, does anyone care to add?

Then how many doubles have you heard of failing on buffalo, especially charging ones? Also anyone please add.

Anything will fail if not maintained.....even your Land Rover.

99.9% of gun failures are due to operator error.

Doubles also fail.....doubles are limited in what ammo you can use in them.(some you cannot use monometal bullets)
In my opinion using fmj type solids on DG is crazy....yes many will chime in and say how many dg where killed with them but there are much better options available.

What guns and ammo where they using? How much experience did they have?

A well constructed and tested bolt action in the hands of an experienced hunter is a very reliable tool for hunting dg...so is a double.

For leopard follow up a double is better as you never have time to cycle the bolt...

For the rest and in some cases the bolt is better.

As for a Ruger No1, has one ever failed to load? As I said in a recent post a No1 won our recent Big Bore shoot against 12 or so bolts in very capable hands, 6 shots in 28 seconds, move, load, aim, shoot. If I am not mistaken the Zim PH proficiency shoot record is held by a No 1 also.

Correct a No1 does hold the record.

Many moons ago at BASA(I am still a member but dont participate in the shoits anymore as I dont agree with the scoring system and how it is conducted) we did a speed test between doubles and bolts. 4 shots.
The bolts where only just(less than a second) slower than the doubles.....after shot 2 it was one way traffic for the bolts...
500Jeff and 458Lott(I think) vs 500 NE and 470 NE....
Personally I think many of these fatalities are due to inferior ammo.....so often you read the shot failed to stop the charge....

Again personal choice does play a part bolt or double...

As an example I have stopped irate elephant bulls and cows by firing a shot over them(you obviously need enough distance and time to do so) and on occasion fired through an ear close to the earhole(this can dramatically stop them).....
I then still have 3 rounds availiable....if it was a double you better be 110% sure of your next shot..
If it is a very close quite unseen attack you basically have 1 shot to sort it out anyway....

IvW, as it was many moons ago why don't you come visit and see again if you disprove of the BASA shoots or come and shoot the Safari Outdoor DGS shoots?

As for practise and yesterday's Safari Outdoor DGS shoot the top 3 competitiors was all BASA members and another 3 of the top 10 of the day out of 140 shooters.
So even is you don't approve of the scoring we do get in good practise and the last 5 years all of those Safari shoots was won by a BASA member.

BASA = Shoot as accurate and as fast as you can with as big of a gun as you can.

Hit or miss.

Few places on earth where you will learn that much about your gun and how to shoot under pressure.

It pays off!!!

BTW after yesterday my ZKK602 custom 450 Rigby needs a new mag spring ;D

IvW come and shoot and have fun!!!

Today at our big bore comp which is run on the same BASA principle, ie biggest, most accurate, quickest I did terribly. I was shooting my Heym 450/400 and I confess my head just wasn't in the right space. My buddy had the same story, things just didn't gel. Other times I have felt so confident I could shoot the lights out. Does this ever happen to others? Is there a cure, or you just take the day off and read a book?

It happens more often than we like!

At the DGS yesterday all out of the blue my 450 gave me feeding issues, and that gun feeds like a hot knife through butter!

I remembered reading Bell where he stated that a double had too close of tolerances for use in muddy and dusty conditions. Granted he was firing and reloading a lot more than most probably do today so the inside of action was probably much more exposed.

I confess my head just wasn't in the right space. My buddy had the same story, things just didn't gel. Other times I have felt so confident I could shoot the lights out. Does this ever happen to others? Is there a cure, or you just take the day off and read a book?
Yes, there is a cure but it isn't easy; https://mentalmanagement.com/

The question is; Are you shooting for fun or are you serious enough to put in a lot of work to better your performance?

Competition shooting at the highest levels demands intense focus on the task(s). Tunnel Vision is required between the shooter and the target. Chances are that when aiming at a cape buffalo or elephant, most successful hunters achieved tunnel vision. That is an intense situation and the brain takes over and functions at a near subconscious level to survive. The trick is when shooting for fun or competition to shift into tunnel vision so that nothing else in the world matters except your target, the sights (dot, crosshairs,..) and the trigger. Nothing.
- Before you guys criticize me, yes include important factors such as shifting wind at long range and so on....

Top level competitors can focus and un-focus almost if not automatically. Most have however had to work at this for many years. In coaching competitive shooters I found that those who also practice martial arts grasped focusing without any coaching. Young females would focus a lot easier then males. Clear your conscious mind of any thought not relating to hitting the target. The rest is easy because there really isn't anything else!

Envision it as you practice when dry firing or live firing. Mentally focus, focus, focus.

Today at our big bore comp which is run on the same BASA principle, ie biggest, most accurate, quickest I did terribly. I was shooting my Heym 450/400 and I confess my head just wasn't in the right space. My buddy had the same story, things just didn't gel. Other times I have felt so confident I could shoot the lights out. Does this ever happen to others? Is there a cure, or you just take the day off and read a book?
It happens for sure its just to get to the next range and try again and make it happen it's hard but can be done.

Yesterday, I started poorly on the 1st of the 7 ranges we fired a total of 34 shots over all 7 ranges but ended up very well.

Kevin, I also think you must come and join us on one of these shoots would be nice to have you over.

It is Sunday morning, I am feeling strong and can take a beating. So here goes:
Yet another story of a bolt gun failing on a buff. My PH's bolt gun failed on my buff, my hunting partners father in law's bolt gun failed on a buff and it put him in hospital for many months. Last year we lost a PH to an ele in the Valley, bolt gun. How many more, does anyone care to add?

Then how many doubles have you heard of failing on buffalo, especially charging ones? Also anyone please add.
Then again, many, many more buffalo (and other DG are shot with bolt guns than with other actions. Even most PH's can't afford them.
As for a Ruger No1, has one ever failed to load? As I said in a recent post a No1 won our recent Big Bore shoot against 12 or so bolts in very capable hands, 6 shots in 28 seconds, move, load, aim, shoot. If I am not mistaken the Zim PH proficiency shoot record is held by a No 1 also.
I have been known to drop a fresh cartridge while reloading a single shot. No big deal on a coyote, but the delay in fishing out another shell could be fatal with a buffalo.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
richardparker

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross