Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
DSC, NRA
Hunted
USA, RSA
Greetings -

I'm in the market for a .375 H&H and have it down to CZ, Winchester or Cooper.

Was leaning toward a NIB Winchester but came across this on Gunbroker - http://www.gunbroker.com/item/696086204

Seems like a good deal - especially with the AHR #1 upgrade. However, when I contacted the seller to see if he had additional pics or if I could see the gun in person (we are both AZ) he responded that he had no more pics, the description was accurate and complete and didn't offer to show the rifle in person.

I've been about purchased this one several times, but something just doesn't seem right. Thoughts?

As a newbie to the forum your insights and advice are much appreciated.

Screenshot (336).png

Last edited by a moderator:
Greetings -

I'm in the market for a .375 H&H and have it down to CZ, Winchester or Cooper.

Was leaning toward a NIB Winchester but came across this on Gunbroker - http://www.gunbroker.com/item/696086204

Seems like a good deal - especially with the AHR #1 upgrade. However, when I contacted the seller to see if he had additional pics or if I could see the gun in person (we are both AZ) he responded that he had no more pics, the description was accurate and complete and didn't offer to show the rifle in person.

I've been about purchased this one several times, but something just doesn't seem right. Thoughts?

As a newbie to the forum your insights and advice are much appreciated.

Hi flat8,

And, welcome to the best forum in the world.

My free advice:
If the seller won't agree to meet with you for a hands-on showing, he is not worth wasting any further communication on.

Also, try gunsinternational.com for both Winchester Model 70s and CZ Model 550 magnums.

Not saying crooks never post on there as well but, at least there are many legit sellers in there (check their status and history within the web site).

Also, other serviceable makers exist (Brno, Sako, FN to name 3 for example).

Cheers,
Velo Dog.

Last edited:
I believe AH can supply the 550 CZ.

I just took a look at the listing for the CZ on gunbroker. That could be a very good rifle, especially noting the enhancements by AHR. If I were you I'd try a little harder to get the additional info you want.

flat8...This is a very good deal if it is all true, especially with a $700 upgrade. The only problem I found in the description was that the owner states the magazine box holds 6 rounds. I have never heard of such for a .375! @Velo Dog or @Shootist43 have you?
But I agree with others also, if he won't send you a few pics or meet if you are close by, something is wrong... or he doesn't really want to sale the rifle!

I don't own one, so I'm not qualified to answer. It seems like a stretch, but then I seem to recall something about a "pregnant belly" and that may be the case with this rifle. A simple search of CZ's website should answer this question.

No way I'm buying a rifle online if the seller will not give me pictures. I have purchased a couple of rifles online, one from an AH member, and in both cases exchanged pictures and phone calls. In fact the AH meme took the gun to my brother so he could inspect it for me.
Too many people out there willing to meet you half way to buy something so don't waste your time with someone who will not.

My wife was about to buy me a nice case for my newly purchased double rifle. The case was on gun broker. I was in the area of the seller on business but he wouldn't answer the phone. He was curt with my wife on emails and down right disrespectful. His terms were unacceptable. We walked away and his item is still online.

My CZ 550 holds 4 rounds

I don't own one, so I'm not qualified to answer. It seems like a stretch, but then I seem to recall something about a "pregnant belly" and that may be the case with this rifle. A simple search of CZ's website should answer this question.
Checked the CZ site, CZ American holds 5 rounds in the mag according to the site.

I have the CZ 550 .375 H&H and it holds 5 in the mag. I suppose you could load it +1 if you really wanted to.

@flat8

This is a great deal if as it states it has the AHR upgrade. My take is that it is either such a great deal the seller doesn't want to be bothered having to work at selling it because it is such an obviously great deal. Or, they're is something wrong.

I'd hate to see you lose out on it, but I'd rather you do that then get taken for a ride. If you don't live in the Phoenix area, I do, and would be happy to go up to Scottsdale and do a visual for you. That is if the seller is willing, which it sounds like it isn't. But if you want to give that one more try explaining that a local will come by at his convenience, I'd be happy to do so.

If he isn't, run away from this, because it's either a scam or this guy is an arrogant ass.

I've been seeing that listing for a long time. I thought about it but it just seems too good to be true. The fact that such a good deal has been there for so long leads me to believe something is not right. Philip

The seller has 35 positive feedback reviews...I would not hesitate on this auction and grab it while you can. Many sellers on GB are not used to fine rifle sales and unaware of what the buyers typically like to see. Much different than selling a 10/22 or Savage 110. Looks to be an excellent deal...

flat8...This is a very good deal if it is all true, especially with a $700 upgrade. The only problem I found in the description was that the owner states the magazine box holds 6 rounds. I have never heard of such for a .375! @Velo Dog or @Shootist43 have you?
But I agree with others also, if he won't send you a few pics or meet if you are close by, something is wrong... or he doesn't really want to sale the rifle!

As others have said, the (unmodified) CZ Model 550 / caliber .375 and .458 hold 5 in the magazine.

Thank you all for the advice. I'm going to reach out to the seller again. Stay tuned ...

@PHOENIX PHIL - I'm local to PHX as well. Your offer is much appreciated. Let's see what he says about an inspection.

I thought the #1 AHR upgrade came with a barrel mounted sling swivel stud. I don't see one in that picture. Makes me question the authenticity of that claim.

@PHOENIX PHIL - I'm local to PHX as well. Your offer is much appreciated. Let's see what he says about an inspection.

If he's unwilling to meet you, I'd run away from it. If he's a private seller, I can understand not wanting to meet someone from the internet at his home or even at yours. A public shooting range would seem reasonable. Or at a gun shop where you could meet to do the FFL transfer. Something......

Speaking of public ranges, do you shoot at Rio Salado / Usery Pass in Mesa?

I have a CZ 550 in .375 H&H which also holds 6, I posted on AH somewhere previously.

Not sure about the seller
But a cz will stand you in good stead for year and generations to come. Never a days issue with a cz
Regards

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChristyLak

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg