AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
Zimbabwe, USA- IL, WY, CO, NH, ME, Canada
I’m trying to plan a shorter trip before my next big hunt. I’m really hoping to book Tanzania for 26 but would like to return before that in 25. When I booked my hunt to Zim, I went in with intentions of going as all out as I can and spend as much time as I could there. Zimbabwe did not disappoint, but It took a lot of time to get there. I would like a hunt that is somewhat easy to go to (as far as days getting there) and somewhere that doesn’t carry dangerous game hunting rates as I’d like just to hunt plains game before Tanzania.

The issue is, (no offense to anyone) I really hate the idea of fenced hunting. I mean it does absolutely nothing for me, regardless of the positive outlook many others have. I can’t seem to get my head around the idea of it, mostly due to the put and take operations as well as a few other situations I’m very against.
Just due to logistics and cost I very much should be looking at SA, but I really can’t seem to take it seriously. Namibia is a good alternative , but most situations require more time to get there. What am I missing in South Africa?

I’m trying to plan a shorter trip before my next big hunt. I’m really hoping to book Tanzania for 26 but would like to return before that in 25. When I booked my hunt to Zim, I went in with intentions of going as all out as I can and spend as much time as I could there. Zimbabwe did not disappoint, but It took a lot of time to get there. I would like a hunt that is somewhat easy to go to (as far as days getting there) and somewhere that doesn’t carry dangerous game hunting rates as I’d like just to hunt plains game before Tanzania.

The issue is, (no offense to anyone) I really hate the idea of fenced hunting. I mean it does absolutely nothing for me, regardless of the positive outlook many others have. I can’t seem to get my head around the idea of it, mostly due to the put and take operations as well as a few other situations I’m very against.
Just due to logistics and cost I very much should be looking at SA, but I really can’t seem to take it seriously. Namibia is a good alternative , but most situations require more time to get there. What am I missing in South Africa?

Would properties in the neighborhood of 50K acres with no internal fences be of interest? Jacques @JKO HUNTING SAFARIS has at least two of these sized properties to hun in RSA. One of those is about a 3 hours drive from Joburg.

I will say only this. I live in SW Alaska, and do a lot of hunting here. It is about as wide open/free range as you can get. The animals I hunted on my two trips to the eastern cape acted exactly like the moose and caribou up here: they were wild animals; they spooked the same if you were careless.

I love the idea of no fences at all, but RSA fit my budget, and I have zero regrets - it was absolutely terrific.

No one here will be offended by your desire not to hunt fenced properties. I've taken many safaris, sometimes I too want to get where I am going and get home more quickly, when that is the case, I hunt the Limpopo Province. One outfit I hunt there with will have me in camp once we leave the airport in 2 hours, that saves overnighting in Johannesburg then flying on to somewhere else the next day, like the eastern cape. The most important thing is that you find a hunt that gets you excited, something you will have great anticipation of as you wait for the date of departure to get here! Good luck!

Put and take operations, and a large property with self propagating populations are two different things. I’m not judging either one….

Be very candid with your outfit about your expectations. Many operations in RSA are not put and take. Focus on the animals native to that part of RSA, large properties and be clear about your preferences about put and take and you’ll have a great time. In my opinion, RSA may be the most accessible, best value hunting in the world. Namibia is very good too…

This place speaks to me

You are missing the large, privately owned places with self sustaining game. No all places are put and take. I’ve been hunting 80,000 acres in the EC and the hunting is great.

This place speaks to me
That’s unfortunately not the hunt they received after arriving from the hunt reports posted last year

A hunt like this is a good hunt. Kudu, bushbuck, bushpig. Maybe hunt some warthogs on other farms after you are successful. They burrow under fences. This offer caught my interest.

@revturbo9967 South Africa have some large areas available to hunt!
I hunt 20 000 Acres in the Limpopo Valley.

Feel free to reach out if you require any info

Last edited by a moderator:
Pick up a bow and do some spot and stalk.

I spoke with Crusader Safaris at DSC and thought their operation sounded interesting. They hunt 3 or 4 different areas in the Eastern Cape depending on what species you are wanting to hunt. All are large free range conservancies with no fencing.

The hunt @375Fox mentions would be a great hunt. Bayly/Sipple is an outstanding outfit and a sponsor here on the sight. Those mountains are rugged and you will earn any trophy you take there. I got a nice bushbuck not far from there last year hunting with them. Good luck in whatever you decide.

What are you wanting to pursue?

@revturbo9967, Please don't take this as a personal hit because their have been so many post on this subject of fences and South Africa. I have made this same similar comment on some if not all posts on this subject.

Like so many others that have made these same comments on hunting fenced areas in RSA, I'm going to guess you live in the US. I'm also going to guess you usually hunt on 20 to less than 1000 acres for big game here in the US. While hunting here in the US one often sees, crosses, and otherwise comes in contact with fencing and are ok with the fenced places being hunted otherwise one wouldn't be hunting on these properties.

Yet traveling some 3000, 4000 miles to hunt in another country on a property 20 to 500+ times the size of the properties that you hunt here in the US, seeing that same type fencing the game is considered not free ranging, and thus somewhat taboo, not really hunting.

Outfitters that put and stalk with the sole purpose for a client to come and shoot that specific animal I whole heartedly agree regardless of the size of the property IMPO is a form of "cage" hunting.

Basically if one feels that it is OK to hunt in and around fences here in the US, what makes it not ok to hunt an area that is extremely larger in another country where the game is in its natural habitat born, raised, and free to foam on that entire property?

If you are wanting to be convinced to hunt in South Africa, perhaps you are really wanting excuses not to hunt and have a good adventure in South Africa.

Just due to logistics and cost I very much should be looking at SA, but I really can’t seem to take it seriously. Namibia is a good alternative , but most situations require more time to get there. What am I missing in South Afric

@revturbo9967, Please don't take this as a personal hit because their have been so many post on this subject of fences and South Africa. I have made this same similar comment on some if not all posts on this subject.

Like so many others that have made these same comments on hunting fenced areas in RSA, I'm going to guess you live in the US. I'm also going to guess you usually hunt on 20 to less than 1000 acres for big game here in the US. While hunting here in the US one often sees, crosses, and otherwise comes in contact with fencing and are ok with the fenced places being hunted otherwise one wouldn't be hunting on these properties.

Yet traveling some 3000, 4000 miles to hunt in another country on a property 20 to 500+ times the size of the properties that you hunt here in the US, seeing that same type fencing the game is considered not free ranging, and thus somewhat taboo, not really hunting.

Outfitters that put and stalk with the sole purpose for a client to come and shoot that specific animal I whole heartedly agree regardless of the size of the property IMPO is a form of "cage" hunting.

Basically if one feels that it is OK to hunt in and around fences here in the US, what makes it not ok to hunt an area that is extremely larger in another country where the game is in its natural habitat born, raised, and free to foam on that entire property?

If you are wanting to be convinced to hunt in South Africa, perhaps you are really wanting excuses not to hunt and have a good adventure in South Africa.
There are certainly some areas in South Africa that can offer free-roaming (low fence) plains game hunting, but this is generally limited to species such as kudu, bushbuck, duiker, steenbok, pigs, springbuck, porcupine, and small predators. Legally, these animals require a hunting permit from the province, as all game that is not restrained behind an exclusion fence is state-owned. The provincial ordinances dictate the hunting season and other relevant conditions, such as meat transport, etc.
This is one of the main motivators for high-fence game ranching in South Africa - by receiving exemption from state ordinances (exclusion fence construction), private landowners can self-determine all parameters around game management.

It would be refreshing, and a progressive initiative, to see some courageous South African operators take on true open land and work outside of the exemption model to build sustainably harvestable populations of all plains game, including the wide variety of endemic large and medium antelopes, giraffe, and zebra that constitute an industry standard Plains game Safari.

If these operators do indeed exist, they should certainly be supported with hunters $'s.

Good day sir @revturbo9967.
South Africa has very much to offer when it comes to hunting, your choice of location is the most important thing, if you choose the right area to hunt with the right Outfit you would very satisfied.
Our hunting area is bordering the Kruger National Park and is still some of South Africa’s more wilder areas to hunt in. All our animals is self suitable from Duiker to Cape Buffalo, they have to compete with Spotted Hyena and occasionally Lion and Wild Dogs coming trough the area.

Logistics wise I think each country holds their ups and downs it’s part of AFRICA, it all depends on what makes sense for you as a hunter, budget wise, traveling and so on, South Africa as any other African country won’t disappoint you.

Thank you for your time sir, and please let me know if I can assist you with anything.
Kind regards
Derian Koekemoer

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HudsonKauf

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Grat wrote on HUNTROMANIA's profile.
Hallo Marius- do you have possibilities for stags in September during the roar? Where are your hunting areas in Romania?
ghay wrote on No Promises's profile.
I'm about ready to pull the trigger on another rifle but would love to see your rifle first, any way you could forward a pic or two?
Thanks,
Gary [redacted]
Heym Express Safari cal .416 Rigby

Finally ready for another unforgettable adventure in Namibia with Arub Safaris.

H2863-L348464314_original.jpg
Unforgettable memories of my first hunting safari with Arub Safaris in Namibia (Khomas Hochland) !!!

Namibia.jpg
Oryx.jpg
Kudu.jpg
ghay wrote on Joel Rouvaldt's profile.
Love your rifle! I'm needing a heavier rifle for Africa. Sold my .375 Dakota Safari several trips ago. Would you have any interest in a trade of some sort involving the custom 338/06 I have listed here on the site ( I have some room on my asking price. I also have a large quantity of the reloading components and new Redding dies as well as a box of A-Square Dead Tough ammo.