chronograph,,, I need a new one

Nobody is switching from the Garmin to a Lab Radar... the trend to the Garmin is occurring for a reason. Just bite the bullet and get the Garmin.
@hoytcanon
The amount of time I use a chronograph now my loads are sorted doesn't warranty a Garmin unfortunately
I'll just have to stick with my plain Jane OLD Chrony chronograph. A pain to set up, need a pen and paper to list shot strings and needs a cable from the unit to the display. Old school yes, reliable, yes used a lot now, no.
If I was just starting out it would be a Garmin.
The Chrony is a bit like the Whelen and myself. Old school but reliable and gets the job done.
Bob

@hoytcanon
The amount of time I use a chronograph now my loads are sorted doesn't warranty a Garmin unfortunately
I'll just have to stick with my plain Jane OLD Chrony chronograph. A pain to set up, need a pen and paper to list shot strings and needs a cable from the unit to the display. Old school yes, reliable, yes used a lot now, no.
If I was just starting out it would be a Garmin.
The Chrony is a bit like the Whelen and myself. Old school but reliable and gets the job done.
Bob
I have use a Shooting Chrony for decades, but it is relegated to archery shots only. I used a Magneto Speed to establish ballistic charts, but I am very tempted to pick up the Garmin, a few of the blokes at the range have them and they are a slick unit... all agree that it is the best option thus far... as evidenced by all the Lab Radars for sale.

You really need to ask yourself just how much you'll use it.

I like others use mine for load development, after that it very seldom sees the light of day unless I have to change something in my loads which is very seldom since I purchase most of my components in bulk.
But then for a lot of members on here price isn't a problem so there is no question as far as if you want it then go ahead and get a Garmin. But for a number of us the old PACT, Chrony, or what ever you are using will just keep on working.

I know that with my PACT I can have it set up in a matter of minutes. I have the screens mounted to a old tripod so there is no fooling around with it. I just set it up and place the screens into the holder and pug it in. It almost takes longer to put the battery into the unit than the rest of the setup. And I have found that it is quite accurate when compared to others.

I’ve got a Garmin and a magnetospeed. I think everyone is right on the money.

If you’re only using your chronograph after you’ve worked up a load and don’t need to simultaneously check Group size and velocities then the magnetic speed is a less expensive option. however, if you’ve got the budget or need that capability the Garmin is the way to go.

See my post from yesterday regarding the Garmin being on sale at Battlehawk Armory for $499 ($100 off)

I’ve used Chrony’s, MagnetoSpeed, and LabRadar. I did a comparison on her a few years ago.
I sold off the Chrony last year and just picked up a Garmin. Due to rain and appointments, I haven’t gotten to the range with it yet, but it seems like it is an improvement over the others.

I have an early lab radar and it certainly has its quirks. Suppressed loads must be fired in very close proximity to the unit, but I’ve usually got things to work. Mine isn’t finicky to point but the menu system doesn’t quite work correctly, even with firmware updates. To add a new series or to move between series, I have to restart the unit, which isn’t usually as bad as it sounds, but also clearly isn’t right. I’m not about to get rid of the unit as it works well enough for me, but I also couldn’t give it a glowing review.

Recommendations for a new chronograph. Thinking either Labrador or magneto speed. Both have draw backs. either set up or price.
Any other options out there?
i have a Caldwell that I question its accuracy. I am reading from people I respect meaning reloading is their passion that the new Garmins are the best given they always pick up the shot and are spot on in accuracy

One big advantage that the LabRadar (and I suspect the new Garmin) have over the older screen-type chronos is that they can be used regardless of wind or lighting conditions. Very handy if you are shooting on a windy day or early/late in the day when shadows might interfere. I now use it exclusively.

How about the $100 ish Caldwell ones? Are they totally useless, or will they be ok for a one session usage?
I have two you can have if you send me your address and pay shipping. One of them has the fancy powered screens. Both have tripods and the bags. Complete kits.
For the cost of shipping you can have two so you can decide for your self

I have two you can have if you send me your address and pay shipping. One of them has the fancy powered screens. Both have tripods and the bags. Complete kits.
For the cost of shipping you can have two so you can decide for your self
Lol! That's very kind of you. I guess I should rent a decent one for a day.

How about the $100 ish Caldwell ones? Are they totally useless, or will they be ok for a one session usage?
@lawerance_court
I have used a$100 Chrony chronograph for years and it still serves me well
Bob

Had a Beta Chrony for years ,bit of a hassle but at the time did what I needed. Now use a Labradar and like it. Checked out the Garmin based on this thread and it does have interest but the Labradar does what I need at least for now.

I am just waiting for the Gen2 Garmin's to come out... or for a little market competition to lower the price. The next version should be better and cheaper, and my current set-up will get me by until then. As I said earlier, all the Lab Radar guys at the range are singing the praises of the Garmin unit.

The Garmin is a slick little unit!

If I was developing loads every weekend, it would be at the top of my list.

For fiddling with a few new loads a year, or checking velocity for old loads with a new batch of powder or bullets, my MS v3 is perfect.
Our Grandpa’s never had access to, or money for even the most basic chrony, but old Betsy always shot tiny groups and put lots of venison in the freezer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarriDadso

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.
sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.