Cheap Rifles and Hypocrisy

I have a Ruger American Predator in 6.5 CM that I bought on sale several years ago. I put a Nikon Buckmaster scope on it I had on hand with some cheap rings. I wanted to see if I could build something really cheap to give my friend's Ruger Precision Rifle a run for it's money. I was amazed at how accurate that cheap rifle shot. I hate the stock, not fond of the bolt, trigger is ok but it will shoot. HOWEVER for a hunting rifle, I'd probably either take my Ruger #1 or my Winchester M70. Not as accurate but they are both exceptionally reliable. :giggle: I'll bet the Savage will be a shooter.

Colorado,
Bore cleaning liquid and two hours stroking the barrel with a wire brush.
A bit of work but the barrel is now accurate.

I bought my son an Axis in .243 on a $199 deal at Academy here in TX as his first rifle. This was prior to them coming out with accutrigger so the trigger was horrible. I replaced with the MCarbo spring as Graham Hunter mentioned. That was a world of difference for a sub $20 fix. Topped it with a cheapo Cabelas scope that was on clearance for $60. He's still shooting it at 17. Kills deer, pigs, & even a couple of turkeys. I replaced the scope with a Leupold American Marksman I found on clearance for $179 but that's been the only change. If you still absolutely hate the trigger after the spring change, Timney has a drop in replacement for about $125-ish. But even with the factory cheapo plastic stock his will shoot 90 grain Nosler BT (factory loads) with holes touching at 100 yds.

I bought my son an Axis in .243 on a $199 deal at Academy here in TX as his first rifle. This was prior to them coming out with accutrigger so the trigger was horrible. I replaced with the MCarbo spring as Graham Hunter mentioned. That was a world of difference for a sub $20 fix. Topped it with a cheapo Cabelas scope that was on clearance for $60. He's still shooting it at 17. Kills deer, pigs, & even a couple of turkeys. I replaced the scope with a Leupold American Marksman I found on clearance for $179 but that's been the only change. If you still absolutely hate the trigger after the spring change, Timney has a drop in replacement for about $125-ish. But even with the factory cheapo plastic stock his will shoot 90 grain Nosler BT (factory loads) with holes touching at 100 yds.
Can't beat that! My daughter in law has the same rifle (combo) with the Bushnell 3x9 scope and it was new at $199. For local hunting, they are hard to beat for the price.

Okay guys I've been called on my hypocrisy. It's been pointed out to me that when I criticize some of the cheaper offerings it's often based on brief impressions and opinions. I don't have sustained experienced with the items in question. As a result I have purchased a new rifle to deer hunt with. The selection process was very rigorous (ie the cheapest combo available on Cabela's website)

Savage Axis XP Camo
.308 Winchester
Weaver Kaspa 3-9x40
Weaver Aluminum Rings
$259.97 after Rebate

If the rifle feeds, fires, extracts and ejects 100% during sight in and ammo selection and the scope takes and holds zero I may be forced to actually hunt with It.

Any one want to lay odds of it surviving the preseason prep?

Anyone want to lay odds of it surviving the season?

PS Our firearms season is three months long.
I bought my first Savage 110B in the mid-80s. Laminate stock 30-06. MIL gave me a Bushnell 4x scope for Christmas that year. Gave it to my son about 15 years ago. Conservatively, this rifle has had several thousand rounds run down the barrel. He had to have a pin in the bolt replaced about 10 years ago. That has been the only repair needed. I did have a 'smith clean the trigger up and set the pull around 3# shortly after I got the rifle.
I'm betting the Axis you bought will hold up to whatever use you put it through. Provided that doesn't include abnormal abuse.

Can't beat that! My daughter in law has the same rifle (combo) with the Bushnell 3x9 scope and it was new at $199. For local hunting, they are hard to beat for the price.
@CoElkHunter
That would be right you mean bastard inflicting some poor soul with a 243s. Hell it should have been at least a 25/06.
That is worse than giving someone a,338 instead of a Whelen to hunt with.
Bob

the quality and price of some of these rifles are amazing. I bought my BDL in 270 in Dallas in 1967 for $300 (which was a lot of money then) it came with a Redfield 3-9x scope (not the Widefield). Still have the rifle had many 50 plus hunting days per year in the late 60s and through out the 70s. Still shoots great, but in todays dollars that's probably a $1500 gun.

If I may suggest a fundamental difference in view.

To an American, it seems quite ordinary to buy a new Harley-Davidson, or a new Remington, and immediately throw half of it away and replace those elements with after-market alternatives.

Everyone else in the world expects to buy a properly functioning motorcycle, or rifle, ab initio.

In my own experience, I bought a Dakota model 10 (the single shot, falling block variant) as a barrelled action 'in the white'. For what is supposed to be a premium rifle, it is badly designed - the firing pin will break if the rifle is dry-fired - and the quality of finish was dreadful - the chequering on the safety catch looked as though someone had applied it with a broken rasp (that, at least, was salvageable). I am afraid that it has badly put me off buying American rifles: there had been no quality control and no pride in assembling and shipping out a mediocre product.

On the other hand, I had a second-hard Ruger M77 which functioned very well, until it suddenly went on strike and refused to hold a zero. I don't complain about that: it was a cheap rifle, it worked well until it didn't, at which point it was time to get rid of it.

Americans have the inestimable advantage of the 2d. amendment, which allows them to build up - at least by European standards - vast armouries. We down-trodden serfs of our own governments are only allowed a few rifles at most and - particularly with big bore rifles - might even have a legal prohibition on firing them in our own countries. It does, however, mean that rather than spending our money buying half-a-dozen rifles of dubious quality we tend to be a bit more discriminating.

An additional problem is that 'gunsmithing' these days often means little more than the ability to unscrew one part and screw in another.

If I may suggest a fundamental difference in view.

To an American, it seems quite ordinary to buy a new Harley-Davidson, or a new Remington, and immediately throw half of it away and replace those elements with after-market alternatives.

Everyone else in the world expects to buy a properly functioning motorcycle, or rifle, ab initio.

In my own experience, I bought a Dakota model 10 (the single shot, falling block variant) as a barrelled action 'in the white'. For what is supposed to be a premium rifle, it is badly designed - the firing pin will break if the rifle is dry-fired - and the quality of finish was dreadful - the chequering on the safety catch looked as though someone had applied it with a broken rasp (that, at least, was salvageable). I am afraid that it has badly put me off buying American rifles: there had been no quality control and no pride in assembling and shipping out a mediocre product.

On the other hand, I had a second-hard Ruger M77 which functioned very well, until it suddenly went on strike and refused to hold a zero. I don't complain about that: it was a cheap rifle, it worked well until it didn't, at which point it was time to get rid of it.

Americans have the inestimable advantage of the 2d. amendment, which allows them to build up - at least by European standards - vast armouries. We down-trodden serfs of our own governments are only allowed a few rifles at most and - particularly with big bore rifles - might even have a legal prohibition on firing them in our own countries. It does, however, mean that rather than spending our money buying half-a-dozen rifles of dubious quality we tend to be a bit more discriminating.

An additional problem is that 'gunsmithing' these days often means little more than the ability to unscrew one part and screw in another.
And one example is the annually Danish Riffelprøven which everyone must pass ,and they follow what is new and accurate of the rifles to become better shots and persons due to all the qualifications.

System rifles is since here in Norway 6 hunt gun max, no difference on rifle,shotgun ,.22 or so all is under the same umbrella.

So Sauer 202, Blaser r93 ,Mauser 03, R8 and others like Roessler got popular quick.

Im looking a bit for barrel nr 3 for my R93 ,,but its a bit of what one want and what is available at the time,

Trouble with some is their configurator pages ,i dont know how many billions have been dreamt up there, but oddly no credit card firm have made a commercial on some of them yet there.

I’ve bought beat up old Savage 10s (and Stevens 200) and Remington 78s a few times. Cleaned them up and set them up with quality scopes, ie Leupolds and B&Ls. With the right handloads they all could shoot 1/2” groups. Good enough for anything at any reasonable distances. All were either 30-06 or 243. They all killed lots of elk (30-06 only), deer, antelope, coyotes, etc. A quality glass on top, polishing or just working an action a lot, trigger job, and good handloads can do wonders. Most were then sold to friends for their kids first big game rifles. And, most of them still have them today.
I still have a Remington 78 in 30-06 that will cluster the right handloads. Some rust spots on the barrel and action that I buffed out, but can still be seen. Just can’t seem to let go of it.

But if one look on it here, take a Swedish Mauser ,bed it, if found sporterized either a m96 or better m98 of FN make ,scope and for ca 300 dollar it will shoot better than most people.

If one need something all weather, find a ex mil k98 .30-06 , scope,bedd it ,and other safety and it will do the same.a secondhand stock of some kind is a cheap way to go also.

Okay guys I've been called on my hypocrisy. It's been pointed out to me that when I criticize some of the cheaper offerings it's often based on brief impressions and opinions. I don't have sustained experienced with the items in question. As a result I have purchased a new rifle to deer hunt with. The selection process was very rigorous (ie the cheapest combo available on Cabela's website)

Savage Axis XP Camo
.308 Winchester
Weaver Kaspa 3-9x40
Weaver Aluminum Rings
$259.97 after Rebate

If the rifle feeds, fires, extracts and ejects 100% during sight in and ammo selection and the scope takes and holds zero I may be forced to actually hunt with It.

Any one want to lay odds of it surviving the preseason prep?

Anyone want to lay odds of it surviving the season?

PS Our firearms season is three months long.
If you have a son or daughter, tell them you just bought a rifle for them and will be breaking it in over the next 20 years! Then they can use it for another 30 or so. Every manufacturer makes a lemon now and then, But chances are, the rifle you bought will give you and yours many years of good service.

I know this is an old thread, but I didn't feel like starting a new one. I just bought a new Savage 110 with the Apex scope (3x9x40 Vortex Crossfire 2) package in .25-06. I've never owned a Savage or .25-06 before, but have been interested in that cartridge since the '70s. I bought this for a dedicated pronghorn rifle. With the Apex package, the rifle comes with a 24" barrel versus the "Engage" (Bushnell) scope package with a 22" barrel. Go figure? Anyway, the rifle has a 14" LOP with all the stock inserts from the factory. Perfect for me and the rifle comes up to my shoulder nicely. With no lube on the rails yet, the bolt travel is surprisingly smooth. The Accutrigger is crisp with no creep. I was really surprised by the clarity of the Vortex scope. It has a "dead hold" BDC feature, so I'll have to figure that out. The magazine release is a little stiff right now. Anyway, this rifle might work well for me. Next Wed or Thu I'll be sighting it in at the range. That is all for now!

@CoElkHunter - congrats on the new addition. The 110 action is solid as a rock. The only thing I'd do is make sure the action is bedded properly and it will be good. I've owned a couple Savage rifles with a model 16 bear hunter 300WSM and my wife's 111 lady hunter 270WIN that have been passed on to other AH members. Both were very accurate being 3/4 MOA capable with factory ammo. You will be more than please for the price you paid. Let us know how it goes.

As I noted a year ago in a post, i have found the Savage rifles to be well made and accurate. The Dept of F&W uses Savage and Ruger bolt action rifles for Hunter education. Of the two I prefer the Savage except that I still need a few tries to remove the bolt. The combination of movements is very unintuitive to me. But otherwise they are quite a value. And a few years ago Savage had a variant of the 110, it was called either 14 ore 16, but it was in 250/3000 and I searched high and low for one to no avail, then they discontinued the chambering. Oh well.

The Savage AccuTrigger is all it's advertised to be, very clean and crisp, easy to adjust to the pull you like. Savage makes a solid, affordable rifle. Imo, the 25-06 is the perfect antelope round; it's a flat shooting cartridge, lol. Seriously, it's a great fit for antelope. If yours has a faster twist, it should shoot the 117s and 120s well. Have fun with the new toy!

I received a Savage 110 in .270 for my 10th birthday. Easily the most accurate rifle I ever owned.

I also have a Savage Mark I G, single shot .22lr with the Accutrigger. Not a fan of the trigger, but it is more accurate than I am.

As far as I have seen, Savage rifles are worth more than their price tag when it comes to accuracy. If only they carried all the other factors that go into a rifle purchase….

As I've written elsewhere, today's factory bolt-action rifles are fantastic by all standards. I can't think of a brand (especially an American-made brand) that doesn't turn out a tack-driver with a crisp, often adjustable trigger, a comfortable stock and an inexpensive way to mount a scope. Sure, some brands may be going through a few quality-control issues, but there's nothing wrong with the design of what they sell.

Take it from someone in charge of a brand starting at $5,900 MSRP: even a Savage package rifle with the scope already mounted on it will do everything a rifle costing 10+ times more can do.

Above and beyond that, what premium brands give you is pride of ownership, period. There may be some marginal returns performance-wise, but these are negligible. It's part of my job to test these products rather thoroughly and I can tell you this with absolute certainty.

I can even pinpoint when the whole rifle industry dramatically raised their standards: it was around 2003, when the one-two punch of the Tikka T3 with MOA guarantee and the Savage Accutrigger forced all makers to step up. If I weren't such a rifle snob I would be perfectly satisfied with the performance of a Savage, a Mossberg, a Thompson-Center or any of the names that may be looked at as value-brands.

Last edited:
As I've written elsewhere, today's factory bolt-action rifles are fantastic by all standards. I can't think of a brand (especially an American-made brand) that doesn't turn out a tack-driver with a crisp, often adjustable trigger, a comfortable stock and an inexpensive way to mount a scope. Sure, some brands may be going through a few quality-control issues, but there's nothing wrong with the design of what they sell.

Take it from someone in charge of a brand starting at $5,900 MSRP: even a Savage package rifle with the scope already mounted on it will do everything a rifle costing 10+ times more can do.

Above and beyond that, what premium brands give you is pride of ownership, period. There may be some marginal returns performance-wise, but these are negligible. It's part of my job to test these products rather thoroughly and I can tell you this with absolute certainty.

I can even pinpoint when the whole rifle industry dramatically raised their standards: it was around 2003, when the one-two punch of the Tikka T3 with MOA guarantee and the Savage Accutrigger forced all makers to step up. If I weren't such a rifle snob I would be perfectly satisfied with the performance of a Savage, a Mossberg, a Thompson-Center or any of the names that may be looked at as value-brands.

I totally agree Tom. One of the reasons I prefer the new M-70 CRF over the pre 64 is that the new ones shoot better. These new rifles perform well beyond what we had 30 or 40 years ago. I shot a one hole group with my M-70 .325 last week, and that is not unusual for that rifle.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jostepan

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois