Cheap Rifles and Hypocrisy

2L8

AH veteran
Reaction score
Okay guys I've been called on my hypocrisy. It's been pointed out to me that when I criticize some of the cheaper offerings it's often based on brief impressions and opinions. I don't have sustained experienced with the items in question. As a result I have purchased a new rifle to deer hunt with. The selection process was very rigorous (ie the cheapest combo available on Cabela's website)

Savage Axis XP Camo
.308 Winchester
Weaver Kaspa 3-9x40
Weaver Aluminum Rings
$259.97 after Rebate

If the rifle feeds, fires, extracts and ejects 100% during sight in and ammo selection and the scope takes and holds zero I may be forced to actually hunt with It.

Any one want to lay odds of it surviving the preseason prep?

Anyone want to lay odds of it surviving the season?

PS Our firearms season is three months long.

Last edited:
Okay guys I've been called on my hypocrisy. It's been pointed out to me that when I criticize some of the cheaper offerings it's often based on brief impressions and opinions. As a result I have purchased a new rifle to deer hunt with. The selection process was very rigorous (ie the cheapest combo available on Cabela's website)

Savage Axis XP Camo
.308 Winchester
Weaver Kaspa 3-9x40
Weaver Aluminum Rings
$259.97 after Rebate

If the rifle feeds, fires, extracts and ejects 100% during sight in and ammo selection and the scope takes and holds zero I may be forced to actually hunt with It.

Any one want to lay odds of it surviving the preseason prep?

Anyone want to lay odds of it surviving the season?
I'll bet it lasts for many years and functions flawlessly. I have some Savage rifles and they are as good as any I've had.

1. Be sure the safety works. a number of Axis the safety would engage but would slide off of safety if the trigger was pulled hard.
2. Trigger sucks but you can order and install an MCarbo spring. Makes it much more tolerable.
3. Weaver scope will probably hold zero but it's light gathering ability and clarity are suspect!
4. I would also suggest bedding the plastic stock.

As long as you don't drop it out of a tree stand, I don't see why it won't function as a good deer rifle.

My youngest daughter killed a mature coastal brown bear and caribou with hers, though hers is in Pink Muddy Girl camo. Even her scope is the Kaspa, though with pink accents. I think the mounts I put on are Burris Z rings. She has used it at the range a lot in addition to hunting. It has been absolutely flawless thus far. It will go to Africa with her some day. It shoots very tight groups with the loads I put together for it.

It'll function much better than you expect

1. Be sure the safety works. a number of Axis the safety would engage but would slide off of safety if the trigger was pulled hard.
2. Trigger sucks but you can order and install an MCarbo spring. Makes it much more tolerable.
3. Weaver scope will probably hold zero but it's light gathering ability and clarity are suspect!
4. I would also suggest bedding the plastic stock.

1. I suspect the newer models have fixed the safety issue. I will certainly check it
2. I've read reports of 7-9 lb on early models but have heard new ones are around 4-6 lb I'm going to try to use as is but will resort to a slight shortening of the spring or replacement if it's required.
3. Good to hear. I had heard rumors the Kaspa was suspect.
4. Going to try to use the stock as is (It's the new improved design) however if I have issues with stringing I will certainly do some bedding and epoxy some carbon fiber arrow shafts in to stiffen the forend.

I certainly think the Ruger American + Vortex Crossfire II Combo might be a better gamble for someone that needs a budget rifle but this is more of an experiment and it's not like I don't have backups.

I mostly shoot culls these days so it's not likely to be critical if I miss out on a shot because of an equipment issue.

My youngest daughter killed a mature coastal brown bear and caribou with hers, though hers is in Pink Muddy Girl camo. Even her scope is the Kaspa, though with pink accents. I think the mounts I put on are Burris Z rings. She has used it at the range a lot in addition to hunting. It has been absolutely flawless thus far. It will go to Africa with her some day. It shoots very tight groups with the loads I put together for it.

Did you have an issue with the OEM Aluminum Weavers?

Years ago, my daughter and I were at a gun show in Ft Worth and she saw what we thought was an exotic , left handed expensive rifle with a Leupold scope. Further examination revealed a very nice high grade walnut stock with recoil pad on a left handed Savage 110. JUST what we wanted and I bought it. It also shot sub minute of angle! It is very effective on deer, hogs and such.

A couple years later at the same show looking for a left handed elk rifle, she found it. A left handed Weatherby Mark V WHBY 7 mm Wby Magnum with a Leupold scope with 50 mm objective - clear as a bell and an excellent big game rifle. It looked new and the seller told us the owner could not shoot good groups with it. Turns out the the bore was very dirty and after a through cleaning, it is a keeper

Both rifles shoot sub MOA and were excellent buys. She later took a mule deer at 400 yards with one shot. Just a god rifle that had not been properly cared for.

A couple years later at the same show looking for a left handed elk rifle, she found it. A left handed Weatherby Mark V WHBY 7 mm Wby Magnum with a Leupold scope with 50 mm objective - clear as a bell and an excellent big game rifle. It looked new and the seller told us the owner could not shoot good groups with it. Turns out the the bore was very dirty and after a through cleaning, it is a keeper

Having cleaned decades of copper fouling out of a new-to-me .257 Wby I feel your pain.

I've owned several Savage rifles, but never an Axis. Every one of those rifles was 3/4 MOA or better when I did my part. I'm sure you will have years of reliable service from the rifle. Not so sure about the scope and rings, but only because I have no experience with these. You got a hell of a deal on the whole package. Congratulations on the new addition and let us know how it shoots.

I've never owned a Savage, but with the current inflated prices of even hunting rifles, I'm looking at a new Savage 110 in .308 with a 3x9 Vortex for $540+ tax. I know it's not the greatest scope, but I always bring two rifles when hunting locally anyway. Besides, Townsend Nelson says the Savage is one of the best rifles for the money and the best thing to come along since Vegemite sandwiches and Bundy rum.

I've never owned a Savage, but with the current inflated prices of even hunting rifles, I'm looking at a new Savage 110 in .308 with a 3x9 Vortex for $540+ tax. I know it's not the greatest scope, but I always bring two rifles when hunting locally anyway. Besides, Townsend Nelson says the Savage is one of the best rifles for the money and the best thing to come along since Vegemite sandwiches and Bundy rum.

Assuming that's a Crossfire II they have Leupold like eye relief, pretty good build quality and the newer ones appear to have upgraded glass (they are clearer at higher mag than the earlier ones). It's not a high end scope by any means but it's very serviceable.

I'm not a big fan of the new style firing pin
and rear spring Savage has went to. I liked the previous design better.

Bob's favorite! I guess it's a OZ brand?
Yepper.
1630197975358.png

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SVCBoyd46

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg