Chasing the Black Death

franzfmdavis

AH elite
Joined
Apr 27, 2024
Messages
1,044
Reaction score
3,780
Location
Eden Prairie, Minnesota
Media
27
Hunting reports
Africa
2
Europe
1
Member of
SCI
Hunted
USA, Canada, RSA, UK
I put together a short video of my first Cape Buffalo:

I hope ya'll enjoy it!

Date: March 10, 2026
Country: Republic of South Africa
Outfitter: Nahla Safaris
PH: Marco Smit
Tracker: Collin
Hunter: Franz Davis
Cameraman: Nathan Moritz
Quarry: Cape Buffalo
Size: 141" SCI Score, 42" Spread, 18" Boss
Rifle: Heym 88B Safari Double Rifle
Caliber: 470 Nitro Express
Projectiles: Swift A-Frame 500g (hand-loaded)
 
Congratulations my friend on taking a bull of a lifetime!!! Simply magnificent and hard earned!!! Great video…I felt like I was there!!! Last please tell me the exact music on your video…I want to buy and upload it to my library. Again Congratulations!!!!
 
Congratulations my friend on taking a bull of a lifetime!!! Simply magnificent and hard earned!!! Great video…I felt like I was there!!! Last please tell me the exact music on your video…I want to buy and upload it to my library. Again Congratulations!!!!
Congratulations on a great bull. Looks like you really had a great hunt.

If I’m not mistaken the song at the end is from gladiator.
 
Congratulations on a magnificent bull! Hey, I was looking forward to you taking it with your 416 Rigby Big Game? I see you upgraded to the Heym 470 Nitro. :)
 
Nice video
Very nice curled tips
 
Congratulations my friend on taking a bull of a lifetime!!! Simply magnificent and hard earned!!! Great video…I felt like I was there!!! Last please tell me the exact music on your video…I want to buy and upload it to my library. Again Congratulations!!!!
It is a song from the Gladiator movie sountrack. I believe it is called Now We are Free.
 
Congratulations on a magnificent bull! Hey, I was looking forward to you taking it with your 416 Rigby Big Game? I see you upgraded to the Heym 470 Nitro. :)
I had both on the trip, but really wanted to use the double. I used the 416 for everything else, including a Genet Cat, which survived and ran off...apparently that is is "not enough gun" for them!
 
I had both on the trip, but really wanted to use the double. I used the 416 for everything else, including a Genet Cat, which survived and ran off...apparently that is is "not enough gun" for them!
Excellent! Dang, those little cats are tough. Well, I have a solution regarding what rifle to use on buffalo next time: Use both! Shoot more than one buffalo, or an elephant and buffalo, or hippo, elephant and buffalo! :)
 
Wonderful trophy…

But also, as a lover of knives, I couldn’t help but be curious about the one on your belt?
It is from Von Gruff in Australia. It is the Safari model with Bird Eye Maple, I believe. I opted for the covered sheath too.
IMG_4903.jpeg
 
Amazing! Great shooting! Congratulations and thank you for sharing this.
Thank you!

I was glad that I had practiced weekly on moving targets before the hunt. I hit it on the left shoulder while it standing, and then hit it on the right shoulder as it was running. Marco, the PH, was happy with my shooting, which was a relief
IMG_4907.jpeg
IMG_4908.jpeg
.
 
Franz - Well done brother. Good shot placement and really nice bosses on that big boy. Looks like you had a good hunt. You may have stated and I missed it. Which province were you all hunting?
 
I put together a short video of my first Cape Buffalo:

I hope ya'll enjoy it!

Date: March 10, 2026
Country: Republic of South Africa
Outfitter: Nahla Safaris
PH: Marco Smit
Tracker: Collin
Hunter: Franz Davis
Cameraman: Nathan Moritz
Quarry: Cape Buffalo
Size: 141" SCI Score, 42" Spread, 18" Boss
Rifle: Heym 88B Safari Double Rifle
Caliber: 470 Nitro Express
Projectiles: Swift A-Frame 500g (hand-loaded)
Franz, I am so so proud of you. Heartiest congratulations, my young friend. A magnificent Cape buffalo you bagged. And such level headed shooting.

Next hunt, hippopotamus on land !
 
It is from Von Gruff in Australia. It is the Safari model with Bird Eye Maple, I believe. I opted for the covered sheath too.View attachment 754086
Congratulations on a great hunt.

Just clarifying Von Gruff is in New Zealand I’m in Australia

I do like the covered sheath option. I considered the Tahr Hunter model with that.
 
Last edited:
Franz - Well done brother. Good shot placement and really nice bosses on that big boy. Looks like you had a good hunt. You may have stated and I missed it. Which province were you all hunting?
The outfitter (Nahla Safaris) was near Schweizer-Reneke, which is in the North West Province.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,328
Messages
1,573,149
Members
169,710
Latest member
Cpirillo
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is [redacted] in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
 
Top