Dr Ray

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Australia/NZ
Member of
Sporting Shooters Association of Australia + CRM Gunsports (Cairns)
I cannot show photo - copyright reasons
But

Now hunting a buffalo in the Northern Territory ended very badly.
Now wounded buff ran and hid in thick scrub. Hunter fired a few arrows and for some reason the buffalo charged and gored the hunter.
The hunter was air lifted to Darwin hospital in a fairly serious way.
Major puncture wounds on the hunters legs and I believe torso.
Very very lucky to be alive.
Apparently the hunters friend also fired some arrows from his cross bow when the buffalo was in hiding.

Attachments

• 104458863_1161732280874226_3371415447143251131_n.jpg
    104458863_1161732280874226_3371415447143251131_n.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 460
Was the backup shooter using a crossbow, it shoots just like a rifle ......... says some people

Indeed, for a backup crossbow I think they should have used one of the double-barreled models, preferably the ones that replace the arrow and cordage with a bullet and propellant.

I admit, I don't know all the regulations regarding Australian bowhunting ,re. carrying firearms, but going after buffalo without a backup gun seems like madness

I love bowhunting as much as the next guy but I would want someone backing me up with something starting with a 4.

Yikes!!

I love bowhunting as much as the next guy but I would want someone backing me up with something starting with a 4.

Amen brother. After poking it with a sharp stick, At least Something starting with a 4, maybe even a 5 or a 6!

Seen some horse shit about Cape buffalo in relation to this incident. There are quite a number of injuries inflicted on people by Cape buffalo, with the people recovering.

Also, lots of holier-than-thou attitudes among hunters... is that how we roll these days when a hunter is killed or injured? Just like the anti-hunters...

I know I’ve made mistakes while hunting, including being without a rifle while bowhunting buffalo. There but by the grace of God go I...

Feel very sorry for this bowhunter. He was very fortunate to make it out alive.

My first thoughts are there are some parts of this story that are missing.

I wonder if that is an in and out wound on his leg? Damn happy the guy was able to get to a hospital in time, he is going to have one hell of a hunting story.

This is the fourth goring incident that I am aware of in the past few years.

He is lucky to be alive, and I do so hope he recovers fully from his injuries.

As bad as it looks, personally, I would be more concerned about the amount of dirt surrounding the wounds than the wounds themselves.
A good buddy of mine, who suffered from a similar goring, has several complications arise more from infections than the wounds themselves.

Best of luck to all involved.

Seen some horse shit about Cape buffalo in relation to this incident. There are quite a number of injuries inflicted on people by Cape buffalo, with the people recovering.

Also, lots of holier-than-thou attitudes among hunters... is that how we roll these days when a hunter is killed or injured? Just like the anti-hunters...

I know I’ve made mistakes while hunting, including being without a rifle while bowhunting buffalo. There but by the grace of God go I...

It's a bit of column A and a bit of column B isn't it ?

My knowledge of buffalo is anecdotal and research based only, but if Aussie water buffalo are as dangerous as some experienced people tell me they are, pinging away at them with arrows, unless you have a fall back plan, are backed up with a stopper, or have advanced tree climbing and sprinting skills, seems to me to be tipping the balance away from calculated risk to fool hardiness. Our bow hunter, as far as we know, seems to have had none of these things in place.

Taking carefully calculated risks (or forgetting your rifle:LOL:)which may occasionally tip against the hunter is not the same as foolhardiness.

I'm sure people have survived attacks and departing runovers from both African and Asian buffalo, and I'm aware that the rep of the African buffalo has been pumped up in recent times. However the Cape Buff was regarded as DG and on the Big 5 list before any of us were born, and has a reputation for vindictiveness and a desire to finish the job which goes back at least that far. Probably one's chances are better if you get hooked and flicked rather than if you get ground into the dirt or a tree by the boss - I don't intend to find out.

Our foolish bow hunter may indeed have survived if his quarry had been Cape buff, but I suggest that his odds would have been worse.

Well, I hope the guy recovers and continues hunting, not just those animals with a bow. Alluding to another thread, I guess we can call him a REAL hunter. :D

How coincidental that a pic of my daughter and her NT buffalo was featured above this article.(n)

Screenshot_20200627-201659_Chrome.jpg

you don,t have to be for or againest hunting to see that the bow hunters were not prepared for that hunt. bows are not noted to be instant stoppers on large animals when things go south, so you must be prepared for the worst and hope for the best outcome and they were not. i feel bad for any one who gets hurt hunting, but it still comes back them-him being prepared. i shot my buffalo with a MC 9.3x62, but had a .375 H H mag right beside me just in case.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
YvonnePaws

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg