AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Australia/NZ
I cannot show photo - copyright reasons
But

Now hunting a buffalo in the Northern Territory ended very badly.
Now wounded buff ran and hid in thick scrub. Hunter fired a few arrows and for some reason the buffalo charged and gored the hunter.
The hunter was air lifted to Darwin hospital in a fairly serious way.
Major puncture wounds on the hunters legs and I believe torso.
Very very lucky to be alive.
Apparently the hunters friend also fired some arrows from his cross bow when the buffalo was in hiding.

Dr Ray

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Australia/NZ

Attachments

• 104458863_1161732280874226_3371415447143251131_n.jpg
    104458863_1161732280874226_3371415447143251131_n.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 341

Zambezi

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Hunted
South Africa, Zimbabwe, Zambia
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Was the backup shooter using a crossbow, it shoots just like a rifle ......... says some people

Indeed, for a backup crossbow I think they should have used one of the double-barreled models, preferably the ones that replace the arrow and cordage with a bullet and propellant.

broncolcj

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA, SCI
Hunted
South Africa, Namibia
I admit, I don't know all the regulations regarding Australian bowhunting ,re. carrying firearms, but going after buffalo without a backup gun seems like madness

Bullthrower338

Silver supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Australia/NZ
Member of
Life Member Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation, NRA, Huntin' Fool, DSC and Pope and Young Club
Hunted
USA, Mexico, Canada, RSA, Australia NT, Zimbabwe
I love bowhunting as much as the next guy but I would want someone backing me up with something starting with a 4.

cpr0312

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Australia/NZ
Member of
NRA Life Member
Hunted
US (All over), New Zealand, South Africa(Northern Cape, Eastern Cape, Northwest), Zimbabwe, Zambia
Yikes!!

K E Johnson

AH senior member
Reaction score
{where Rooster Cogburn lost his eye in True Grit}
Media
Member of
Endowment Member NRA
Hunted
United States, Canada
I love bowhunting as much as the next guy but I would want someone backing me up with something starting with a 4.

Amen brother. After poking it with a sharp stick, At least Something starting with a 4, maybe even a 5 or a 6!

BenKK

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Australia/NZ
Seen some horse shit about Cape buffalo in relation to this incident. There are quite a number of injuries inflicted on people by Cape buffalo, with the people recovering.

Also, lots of holier-than-thou attitudes among hunters... is that how we roll these days when a hunter is killed or injured? Just like the anti-hunters...

I know I’ve made mistakes while hunting, including being without a rifle while bowhunting buffalo. There but by the grace of God go I...

Buffalo1

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Member of
Pope & Young Club; DSC; SCI; Ms Bowhunters Assoc
Hunted
Feel very sorry for this bowhunter. He was very fortunate to make it out alive.

My first thoughts are there are some parts of this story that are missing.

YancyW

Gold supporter
AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA, SCI, RMEF, Ducks Unlimited
I wonder if that is an in and out wound on his leg? Damn happy the guy was able to get to a hospital in time, he is going to have one hell of a hunting story.

PaulT

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Member of
S.C.I. International. Rowland Ward. Sporting shooters Association of Australia. Australian Deer Association.
Hunted
Aus. N.Z & Zim.
This is the fourth goring incident that I am aware of in the past few years.

He is lucky to be alive, and I do so hope he recovers fully from his injuries.

As bad as it looks, personally, I would be more concerned about the amount of dirt surrounding the wounds than the wounds themselves.
A good buddy of mine, who suffered from a similar goring, has several complications arise more from infections than the wounds themselves.

Best of luck to all involved.

Newby

AH veteran
Reaction score
Hunted
Australia, New Zealand, North America, UK, Central Asia
Seen some horse shit about Cape buffalo in relation to this incident. There are quite a number of injuries inflicted on people by Cape buffalo, with the people recovering.

Also, lots of holier-than-thou attitudes among hunters... is that how we roll these days when a hunter is killed or injured? Just like the anti-hunters...

I know I’ve made mistakes while hunting, including being without a rifle while bowhunting buffalo. There but by the grace of God go I...

It's a bit of column A and a bit of column B isn't it ?

My knowledge of buffalo is anecdotal and research based only, but if Aussie water buffalo are as dangerous as some experienced people tell me they are, pinging away at them with arrows, unless you have a fall back plan, are backed up with a stopper, or have advanced tree climbing and sprinting skills, seems to me to be tipping the balance away from calculated risk to fool hardiness. Our bow hunter, as far as we know, seems to have had none of these things in place.

Taking carefully calculated risks (or forgetting your rifle:LOL:)which may occasionally tip against the hunter is not the same as foolhardiness.

I'm sure people have survived attacks and departing runovers from both African and Asian buffalo, and I'm aware that the rep of the African buffalo has been pumped up in recent times. However the Cape Buff was regarded as DG and on the Big 5 list before any of us were born, and has a reputation for vindictiveness and a desire to finish the job which goes back at least that far. Probably one's chances are better if you get hooked and flicked rather than if you get ground into the dirt or a tree by the boss - I don't intend to find out.

Our foolish bow hunter may indeed have survived if his quarry had been Cape buff, but I suggest that his odds would have been worse.

Hogpatrol

Silver supporter
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Atglen Sportsmen's Club, NRA ,SCCFSA,
Hunted
RSA, DE, NJ, PA, KS, TX, ME
Well, I hope the guy recovers and continues hunting, not just those animals with a bow. Alluding to another thread, I guess we can call him a REAL hunter. :D

Timbo

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
BGRC PFRC & SSAA
Hunted
Australia (WA & NT), Zimbabwe, Zambia, South Africa
How coincidental that a pic of my daughter and her NT buffalo was featured above this article.(n)

Screenshot_20200627-201659_Chrome.jpg

leslie hetrick

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
several sporting clubs
Hunted
several
you don,t have to be for or againest hunting to see that the bow hunters were not prepared for that hunt. bows are not noted to be instant stoppers on large animals when things go south, so you must be prepared for the worst and hope for the best outcome and they were not. i feel bad for any one who gets hurt hunting, but it still comes back them-him being prepared. i shot my buffalo with a MC 9.3x62, but had a .375 H H mag right beside me just in case.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RufusMccai

Latest profile posts

SkullKeeper wrote on neckdeep's profile.
Hey there - wondering if you have or know where I can get 416 Rigby die set and/or new brass ?
geoff rath wrote on sambarhunter's profile.
Sorry, tried to call you back, the private number caught me out, and I was driving when you rang.
Swim wrote on Bullthrower338's profile.
Hello Sir., is that deal to good to be true? Thoughts??
Tam Dl wrote on xausa's profile.
I have been looking at an option for a 505, that doesn't break the bank (that concern my have to yield), and is more in the 50-110, or 50 Alaskan range. However not easy to find a case, other than the Weatherby, of course. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Tam Dl wrote on xausa's profile.
Hello, do you have any information on your 505 SRE cartridge. Up here in Canada, there is talk about how the various 500s may exceed the 10 000 Joule limit recently imposed. Not that they do on paper, but you never know what they may infer or claim.