Buffalo and shooting sticks

If I can get a rest, no matter the distance, I am going to is the rest.

Agreed. Practice with all possible shooting positions, rests and slings. When a shot presents itself, quickly assess your most stable shot option and take it. I would not automatically assume that your best option is the sticks. Short of a bench rest, my most stable position is prone with a properly adjusted military sling. Sitting with a well adjusted sling is second followed by standing with sticks. Both Jack O’Connor and Jim Carmichael published great work on the proper use of military and simple wrap slings. They are worth the read.

WAB, I agree with MOST of what you said. I would put standing(off hand) with a well adjusted sling ahead of sticks. But again that is what suites me best. If distances were to be considerably increased and standing was the only option then I would probably opt to use the sticks.

Reactions: WAB
When I hunt always prefer to shoot my rifles from a field rest (shooting sticks, trees, branches, backpacks and so on) I practice shooting offhand but its my last option. In my opinion using a rest provides the shooter with a little more time to make that all important first shot.

I know that I'm definitely in the minority here re. the necessity of using shooting sticks. First I'd like to ask the proponents if they've ever watched or participated in a high power Metallic Silhouette Match? For the uninitiated it requires off hand shooting at 200, 300 400 and 500 meters. Same question goes for Service Rifle Matches although that discipline requires other positions as well. For more info on off hand shooting check out the following: https://gundigest.com/more/classic-guns/the-military-sling-for-better-off-hand-shooting

Last edited:
Shooting 200 yards offhand with an M-16 prepared me for shooting 385 m at turkey silhouettes later in life.

Always found the turkeys to be the most difficult!

I know that I'm definitely in the minority here re. the necessity of using shooting sticks. First I'd like to ask the proponents if they've ever watched or participated in a high power Metallic Silhouette Match? For the uninitiated it requires off hand shooting at 200, 300 400 and 500 meters. Same question goes for Service Rifle Matches although that discipline requires other positions as well. For more info on off hand shooting check out the following: https://gundigest.com/more/classic-guns/the-military-sling-for-better-off-hand-shooting

The big difference would be the buffalo at 20 yards.....

Making a bad shot because someone opted to use the sticks offered or put out and then trying to blame bad shooting on the sticks put out and him using them well....

Bottom line is if you are not happy with the shot do not take it no matter the distance....any cock ups after the shooter pulls the trigger lies entirely on his shoulders, sticks or no sticks, period...

Bottom line is if you are not happy with the shot do not take it no matter the distance....any cock ups after the shooter pulls the trigger lies entirely on his shoulders, sticks or no sticks, period...
+1

Shootist43, I never competed, but I stood 3’ from Roy Rogers at a One Shot Antelope hunt while he practiced off hand at a metallic ram at 500 yards. He and his 270 worked well together.
Still, I’ll take a rest of some kind when shooting at a $10,000 animal that could potentially kill me. The rest helps me focus on the task at hand as well as steadying me. I think it’s a bit of a ritual for me. JME though.

Excellent article on use of a military sling. I'm going to bookmark that one.
I am VERY familiar with the military sling as I regularly compete service rifle. For service rifle matches the first of the 4 courses of fire is 2 sighters and then 10 or 20 shots for record unsupported offhand at 200 yds. I usually score in the 80's for that string; usually higher in the 90's in the remaining three courses of fire which are rapid fire seated/kneeling, rapid fire prone and slow prone. The sling is not allowed in competition for the first offhand phase. I actually don't think it would help me anyway. However the sling helps enormously in the other three positions: seated/kneeling rapid, prone rapid and prone slow. With proper use and lots of practice you can literally hold the rifle nearly as steady as on a bench in those three positions. The sling also changes your point of impact as compared to shooting from a bench. At least it does for me and most other shooters I've observed.

As for shooting sticks: they were required by my PH who was very clear about this before the hunt. I only took a couple of shots without them if I recall correctly. These shots were from the prone position following a long stalk of Springbok on my stomach at about 100 yards & a quick offhand shot at a charging Warthog at close distance I'd guess 30 yards. My wife always used the sticks.

As I mentioned, I recall all but two shots were taken standing. The distances were 200+ yards and were required by the PH and/or the brush/foliage was high and you had to stand to see above it! See pictures below.

To be clear, it was in the standing position where we got the most benefit from placing the rifle on the sticks at the rifle's neutral position. We also got benefit if we used a kneeling on two knees position but that never occurred during the hunt - we only practiced that at the range prior to our hunt. If we were in a seated or prone position we got very little benefit from positioning the gun at its neutral position during practice. Those positions are inherently stable and we ultimately concluded positioning the gun on the sticks wherever it was most comfortable was best.

I've run on a bit but I thought I'd clarify.

L to R: tracker, PH with sticks, me. Glassing for game. The brush was sometimes much denser too!
IMG_3353s.jpg

L to R: my wife setting up for a shot, PH supervising.
IMG_3361s.jpg

Both my wife and I did much better when we placed the rifle on the sticks so it had a neutral balance. This was true whether we had to take quick follow up shots or had the always desirable take-all-the-time-you-want aim and squeeze shot. We marked that sweet neutral spot with tape so we could quickly position the rifles there if we so chose.
Both my wife and I tried this technique today.
She wasn't completely comfortable with it, but did move her spot back several inches from where she had it near the front sling swivel.
Probably split the difference between the balance point and the front sling swivel.
She did shoot better, and found that she's now resting her non-shooting wrist against the sticks for additional support.
For me, I found it uncomfortable.
I had done dry fire practice the way you had mentioned but was not comfortable at the range.
Switched back to my normal shooting position.
Thanks for the pointer, it's always good to try something even if it doesn't always work.
Better for having the experience.

My "sticks" are the Bog Pod and I found that for the 404 Jeffery my best results came when I had my wrist rested in the yoke which gave me the least muzzle movement, security of hold on the forestock, and the quickest return from recoil for a second shot. On the other hand, for my light rifles I have the fore stock rested in the "conventional" manner at the point I would normally hold the forestock in my hand , so I can grip the yoke (of the sticks) and the fore stock at the same time. This allows for better small game accuracy at longer distance

Von Gruff, when I use sticks, I do so as you described. Since sticks were new to me at the time, I tried several different techniques none of which worked satisfactorily. I thought that since I use sandbags to steady my left (off hand) hand while firmly grasping the forearm that I would apply that same philosophy to the sticks. Happily it works for me

Bravo for everyone who went out and tried different shooting positions!
There is a dearth of actual published test data & information on the "best" shooting position standing with with sticks. In the end I guess it's what works best for you. But, at least after trying, now you know!
Happy hunting!:D Cheers:

Bravo for everyone who went out and tried different shooting positions!
There is a dearth of actual published test data & information on the "best" shooting position standing with with sticks. In the end I guess it's what works best for you. But, at least after trying, now you know!
Happy hunting!:D Cheers:
Just to add on to this thread and shooting sticks.

Dance with the one you came with...right?
So should I take my own sticks that we've been practicing with on Safari or use the ones provided by the outfitter?
I'm kinda leaning toward bringing my own.

So should I take my own sticks that we've been practicing with on Safari or use the ones provided by the outfitter?

Bring your own but only use them if absolutely needed. Maybe there are natural rests like trees, rocks, termite hills etc, then you don’t need sticks. Shooting sticks were invented in East Africa were long shots are common.

Bring your own but only use them if absolutely needed. Maybe there are natural rests like trees, rocks, termite hills etc, then you don’t need sticks. Shooting sticks were invented in East Africa were long shots are common.
I never have brought my own. Every PH I have encountered had a serviceable set. I am also all about packing light, so I am sure that has played into that decision over the years.

And they could have been developed for use on Mars for all I care. With a little practice, they are a terrific shooting aid. Most people I know (to include myself) have difficulty under field conditions precisely placing a shot off-hand at 100 meters - particularly through a tight shooting window. And I would add that I have had just a bit of trigger time over the years, and would cheerfully shoot beer for beer with anyone here off-hand (to include a 200 meter service match). In most bushveld scenarios, the client has little time and a very small shooting window. He also probably isn't as calm and rested as he would be on the line at a four-position match. An experienced PH will have the sticks set to allow an instant shot into that window. Groping around for a field rest wastes precious time and potentially the client takes himself out of the window. That said, be prepared to use just such a rest where and when sticks make no sense. I have killed a buffalo sitting on my butt, a sable from my knees, and a number of things prone. But where they are appropriate, they truly work.

Lastly, at some point on day one, I spend a few minutes with my PH making sure he understands how high I like the things set. The less rearranging that I have to do, the quicker I can get off the shot.

Last edited:
I never have brought my own. Every PH I have encountered had a serviceable set.

And they could have been developed for use on Mars for all I care. With a little practice, they are a terrific shooting aid. Most people I know (to include myself) have difficulty under field conditions precisely placing a shot off-hand at 100 meters - particularly through a tight shooting window. And I would add that I have had just a bit of trigger time over the years, and would cheerfully shoot beer for beer with anyone here off-hand. In most bushveld scenarios, the client has little time and a very small shooting window. He also probably isn't as calm and rested as he would be on the line at a four-position match. An experienced PH will have the sticks set to allow an instant shot into that window. Groping around for a field rest wastes precious time and potentially the client takes himself out of the window. That said, be prepared to use just such a rest where and when sticks make no sense. I have killed a buffalo sitting on my butt, a sable from my knees, and a number of things prone. But where they are appropriate, they truly work.

Lastly, at some point on day one, I spend a few minutes with my PH making sure he understands how high I like the things set. The less rearranging that I have to do, the quicker I can get off the shot.

^^ Couldn't agree more!

Reactions: cls
20 yards, off sticks. Buff was facing away and grazing and I had plenty of time to make a clean heart shot.
With plains game, I have used and refused sticks, depending upon circumstances.

I hunt alone, only sometimes I take there is no way that I could carry shooting sticks along. I never missed them, never thought of shooting sticks. There are natural rests and if I can’t find a rest no problem, I just won’t shoot, there will be another time.

For a visiting and often inexperienced hunter i e from the US the situation is different. For him or her shooting sticks might b

I'd ask the PH. I took my own just in case the sticks supplied by the PH were somehow intolerable but wound up using the PH's. The PH would always set up his sticks at just the right height. I'd then approach and position the gun the way I wanted and fire. All this happened in about 5 seconds or less BTW. Due to the speed what we found was that the neutral positioning steadied the gun much faster - for us. But I've already beat that subject to death. :ROFLMAO:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bkNen

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross