Bourbon in SA / Namibia

Rhoyland4

AH veteran
Joined
Feb 4, 2025
Messages
101
Reaction score
144
Location
Boerne, TX
Media
2
Hunting reports
Africa
1
USA/Canada
1
Headed to Namibia via Cape Town next June and planning way ahead. I like to have a glass or two of good bourbon in the evenings, especially when hunting. Is there good bourbon readily available in Cape Town and Windhoek? I like cask-strength stuff if available. I am not a Crown, JD, or JB guy, but Woodford or Elijah Craig will do if available.

If not, how hard is it to travel with your own? It looks like both countries allow 1 L duty-free. I don't think that will last me for the 17 days we'll be there. Is the tax just the 15% VAT on anything additional I bring with me?
 
Headed to Namibia via Cape Town next June and planning way ahead. I like to have a glass or two of good bourbon in the evenings, especially when hunting. Is there good bourbon readily available in Cape Town and Windhoek? I like cask-strength stuff if available. I am not a Crown, JD, or JB guy, but Woodford or Elijah Craig will do if available.

If not, how hard is it to travel with your own? It looks like both countries allow 1 L duty-free. I don't think that will last me for the 17 days we'll be there. Is the tax just the 15% VAT on anything additional I bring with me?
Never been to SA besides Jo burg over night.

So will be speaking for Namibia

Bring your own and buy some at duty free.

Not much for bourbon there. I’ve seen JB on shelf at a camp. That’s as close to “bourbon” as you will likely see.
 
Last edited:
We found woodford near our camp. They had several labels available.
 
Bring your own and buy some at duty free.

Not much for bourbon there. I’ve seen JB on shelf at a camp. That’s as close to “bourbon” as you will likely see.
Definitely bring your own and purchase duty free as well. Buy containers on Amazon made for travel. Saves weight of glass bottles and no affect to the flavor. Also, removes the worry of glass breaking from heavy handlers. Works great
 
Bring your own and buy some at duty free.

Not much for bourbon there. I’ve seen JB on shelf at a camp. That’s as close to “bourbon” as you will likely see.
This is the right response. You'll see mostly Jim Beam, Jack Daniels #7, Maker's Mark there. I would ask your outfitter, let them know in advance and what they can get their hands on. I brought a bottle for Bruce when meeting him in Johannesburg but nothing for myself.
 
This is the right response. You'll see mostly Jim Beam, Jack Daniels #7, Maker's Mark there. I would ask your outfitter, let them know in advance and what they can get their hands on. I brought a bottle for Bruce when meeting him in Johannesburg but nothing for myself.
The typical Namibian or South African barbarian Boer will mix coke with brandy in something of a national drink. If mixing whisky, a scotch blend like Bell's is typically sacrificed, but William Evans would be an acceptable bourbon substitute - the tricky part is that they would be just as happy to use Booker's or Elijah. :rolleyes: Which means you are unlikely to find a small production quality bourbon in the typical shop. I have become more a quality lowland single malt fan and bring a bottle of Bladnoch or Glenkinchie with me. I would suggest you do the same. And yes, in South Africa you are limited to a liter duty free. A fifth of bourbon is 750 ml. I would suggest a couple of gin and tonics when arriving back in camp and a finger or two of your bourbon late to stretch that bottle.
 
Last edited:
The typical Namibian or South African barbarian Boer will mix coke with brandy in something of a national drink. If mixing whisky, a scotch blend is almost always sacrificed, but William Evans would be an acceptable substitute - the tricky part is that they would be just as happy to use Booker's or Elijah. :rolleyes: Which means you are unlikely to find a small production quality bourbon in the typical shop. I have become more a quality lowland single malt fan and bring a bottle of Bladnoch or Glenkinchie with me. I would suggest you do the same. And yes, in South Africa you are limited to a liter duty free. A fifth of bourbon is 750 ml.
Good call on the BYO. By preference I tend to follow the local when traveling, and appreciate the local RSA coke and brandy - nice drink, still less sweet than a Bourbon. Granted, its not a fine scotch, but if I want to drink good scotch I'll drink what I have at home.
 
Headed to Namibia via Cape Town next June and planning way ahead. I like to have a glass or two of good bourbon in the evenings, especially when hunting. Is there good bourbon readily available in Cape Town and Windhoek? I like cask-strength stuff if available. I am not a Crown, JD, or JB guy, but Woodford or Elijah Craig will do if available.

If not, how hard is it to travel with your own? It looks like both countries allow 1 L duty-free. I don't think that will last me for the 17 days we'll be there. Is the tax just the 15% VAT on anything additional I bring with me?
Depending on your route Duty Free is your best bet. If you go through the Middle East/Europe first plenty of options, otherwise Duty Free stateside or bring your own since the United & Delta flights get in too late. If you have a connection in JNB you can try their Duty Free but it’s the typical Makers and Woodford stuff. Occasionally you might see something like Buffalo Trace (saw it for the first time in June).
 
I believe I read that you are allowed 3 liters on Delta flights to RSA. Just check the website or ask the Robot overlords...
 
Screenshot_20260921_195609_Chrome.jpg

You should be good, My Man!
 
Good call on the BYO. By preference I tend to follow the local when traveling, and appreciate the local RSA coke and brandy - nice drink, still less sweet than a Bourbon. Granted, its not a fine scotch, but if I want to drink good scotch I'll drink what I have at home.
I would rather drink the bilge from a refugee ship than mix brandy, much less a fine whisky, with coke.
 
When in Namibia you need to try Ondjaba Whiskey. Made with Namibian grains peated with elephant dung smoke.
 
BYO, maybe in Europe Duty Free you will find something of quality but pretty tough.
 
I would rather drink the bilge from a refugee ship than mix brandy, much less a fine whisky, with coke.
I certainly would not mix fine scotch with coke. Water in a pinch, large form ice only.

But for a cape brandy (which is a little more rum like IMO) I think its passable - tried it neat over ice and it was middling, but I'm a bit of a cognac snob - needed something to smooth over the rough edges their coke isn't nearly as sweet as the stuff here in the US. Would've preferred something ginger based but they didn't have it. I grew up on Dark and Stormies, so a bit weird to begin with.
 
You’d be surprised at what you can find at duty free in random places, I’ve found Red Breast 15yo fairly often and I distinctly remember that Woodford was $4 a rocks pour at Hotel Intercontinental in Johannesburg so it’s certainly available both in and out of duty free there.

If you want something like Blanton’s you best bring it from home.
 
I have yet to find a liquor store in the bush that didn’t at least have something, but I like to bring a good bottle, then buy some at duty free shops.
 
You can likely look up the duty free in Cape Town and check their stock. In JNB they list some stock, but if you email, they’ll tell you exactly what they have on hand. April I just brought a bottle of Blantons with me to Zim, and likely will again in a couple weeks. This trip, the plan is to travel through Doha, which they have excellent selection of bourbon, scotch and cigars. Last couple times through they have shelves of Eagle Rare. This past April, JNB duty free had Buffalo Trace and some Weller green label.
 
Klippie and coke ......works every time ......when in Rome .......Oh and McD's and Taco Bell are not in camp either !
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,275
Messages
1,571,333
Members
169,338
Latest member
ggo88vipto
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
 
Top