Bourbon in SA / Namibia

If you’re a gin fan a bottle of Cape Town Pink Lady Gin is tough to beat. I normally bring a bottle home with me.

Like @Odinsraven I too enjoy a Klippie n Coke or KWV n coke when hunting. A bottle of South African brandy normally also follows us home, but you can sometimes find KWV at the bigger Specs stores here in Texas.
 
Ask your outfitter what they have available or if they could pick you something up before you get there

I hunted in July in South Africa and they had a full bar. I’m not a bourbon drinker, but they had half a dozen single malts

We dented that pretty good

FullSizeRender.jpeg
 
I also enjoy bourbon at the end of hunt days, but usually drink Scotch or Irish whiskey when overseas. Premium bourbon choices are extremely limited usually unless you’re able to find something at duty free, saw lots of Blanton’s last trip through Atlanta. Wife has become big fan of brandy and coke in SA and Namibia. Tried some SA produced whiskey which was pretty tasty.
 
Headed to Namibia via Cape Town next June and planning way ahead. I like to have a glass or two of good bourbon in the evenings, especially when hunting. Is there good bourbon readily available in Cape Town and Windhoek? I like cask-strength stuff if available. I am not a Crown, JD, or JB guy, but Woodford or Elijah Craig will do if available.

If not, how hard is it to travel with your own? It looks like both countries allow 1 L duty-free. I don't think that will last me for the 17 days we'll be there. Is the tax just the 15% VAT on anything additional I bring with me?

I like a good Craig 13yr bbl proof neat as much as any Bourbon available. You will not likely find it in RSA. I cannot speak of Namibia as I have not been there. My South African PH is a good friend and bourbon aficionado and I gift him a bottle or two every time we meet up. He keeps a well stocked bar at the main Limpopo lodge and we never lacked a variety of good bourbon as well as various African and Scotch whiskeys. While down south in Free State we were hosted by another PH so my PH brought some Weller 107 Red Label and a couple others which the three of us consumed in excess quantity following a successful Buffalo hunt. I was injured in the process and am only now getting to where I can once more stomach a wee taste of the mother's milk again. I also gifted him a full set of KY Safari Glencairn glasses so we could sip our sundowners in proper form. Talk to your PH and first see what he can get and then travel appropriately. Craig in particular needs extra care to travel since the flat sided bottles are easily damaged.

Glencarin.jpg
 
When in Namibia you need to try Ondjaba Whiskey. Made with Namibian grains peated with elephant dung smoke.
Tried some in 2020. Reminds me of the elephant dung can we burn dried elephant dung in to generate smoke to ward of Tsetse Flys then use the ashes in the can to filter some moonshine from Missouri!
 
I've used the smaller travel sample kit from Aged and Ore and really like the quality. For a full bottle, this travel decanter would absoultely fit the bill for me.



I've used the WineSkins when I find a good bottle to bring home from traveling. Cheap and easy.

 
Gin please,

Whiskey is for making Vanilla for cookies and pumpkin bread.
 
IIRC transiting through Oliver Tambo to Windhoek I attempted to buy some duty free. Not possible as the two countries are in the African Economic Area. Thus no duty free sales travelling within same. Things may have changed but that was the situation some years ago (6-7 ).
I solved the problem by flying through Addis Ababa which has a good number of duty free shops. However buying alcohol en route is nota high priorities as Jameson whiskey is widely sold in Namibia .
Below the car park in Hosea Katuko.
DSCF0001.jpeg
 
I enjoyed this enough on my trip that I brought some home..

tempImagezxTisy.png
 
With this much time to prep it may be worth trying to find a bottle of Three Ships by James Sedgwick Distillery of South Africa if they have US distribution.
 
We stoped at liquor store I. J’Burg. Picked up some SA Whiskey. Think it was Three Ships. They had several different proofs so we bought them all.
Visit a local liquor store and drink local.
 
The typical Namibian or South African barbarian Boer will mix coke with brandy in something of a national drink. If mixing whisky, a scotch blend like Bell's is typically sacrificed, but William Evans would be an acceptable bourbon substitute - the tricky part is that they would be just as happy to use Booker's or Elijah. :rolleyes: Which means you are unlikely to find a small production quality bourbon in the typical shop. I have become more a quality lowland single malt fan and bring a bottle of Bladnoch or Glenkinchie with me. I would suggest you do the same. And yes, in South Africa you are limited to a liter duty free. A fifth of bourbon is 750 ml. I would suggest a couple of gin and tonics when arriving back in camp and a finger or two of your bourbon late to stretch that bottle.
Lord have mercy! Lowland??? I may have to unfollow you. :E Rofl:
 
Last edited:
About 20 years ago I was on a hunt in Zim. About day 5 I was craving a bourbon and coke. There was none to be had. My PH said why not try the "Chicken" with coke. "Chicken" was the local term for Famous Grouse scotch. In desperation, I mixed the scotch and coke and much to my surprise, it was not bad. Maybe out of desperation, but not bad at all!!! Before the hunt was over I had finished the bottle and it was growing on me. The things we do in Africa!!
Since returning I've mixed it several times and my buddies give me all kinds of crap over it. I refer to it as "Redneck bourbon and coke".
 
I do not drink mud.

Love Eleanor Morton. She's got a few funny ones that are back-and-forths between CS Lewis and JRR Tolkien. "Father sh!++ing Christmas?!?!"
 
I packed two bottles of my own product and took. Super easy. Just wrap and pack… take what you want. As noted above you will not find good Bourbon in Duty Free or damn sure don’t plan on it.
Don’t overthink it. I was only concerned with overall weight.
IMG_5864.jpeg
 
Love Eleanor Morton. She's got a few funny ones that are back-and-forths between CS Lewis and JRR Tolkien. "Father sh!++ing Christmas?!?!"
And rather than "lowland" I should more properly say that I am a fan of Speyside single malts, which are lowland in the highlands - or some such nonsense. And yes, she is hilarious.
 
And rather than "lowland" I should more properly say that I am a fan of Speyside single malts, which are lowland in the highlands - or some such nonsense. And yes, she is hilarious.
Fair. Not a huge Scotch guy, but I'll drink highland or Speyside. Lowland...if it tasted even half as good as mud, I might drink some. I imagine pig sh!+ tastes better.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,238
Messages
1,569,287
Members
168,650
Latest member
dewdpaltmopart1977
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

rdog wrote on Bob Nelson 35Whelen's profile.
Bob i was at Rebel gun works last Friday they had once fired 25/20 brass in their up stairs section , how are the knees going?
hunted So Africa 4 times and more to come
 
Top