Bourbon in SA / Namibia

Fair. Not a huge Scotch guy, but I'll drink highland or Speyside. Lowland...if it tasted even half as good as mud, I might drink some. I imagine pig sh!+ tastes better.
Traditional Lowland has no peat flavor at all. Really clean crisp taste.
 
1 carton of cigarretes, one bottle of liquer is allowed for international travel.
Buy a bottle at international airport at duty free shop, take it with you to SA .

And i never had a problem, doubling the quantity. Do likewise.
 
Jogging the dark recesses...We once flew from JHB to Harare...this really happy/funny (drunken) young couple from Zim had flown down to RSA simply to fill these netted carry-on bags w/ bottles of Amarula. They even opened bottles on the plane and shared w/ neighbors (I love the stuff, but too much is not good for the aging arteries). They were a RIOT (but I believe were sent on a mission from someone in-power and thus had zero issues departing/arriving.) Mugabe's wife was on the plane too (and they were drunkenly waving/yelling to her!?) I've seen Bourbon at airport D-F shops, but primarily bad stuff in nice packaging. BYO+DF (you'll be limited.) 2 hunting friends have made a stash of their best stuff at my hunting cabin (house on old fam farm.) They don't want their wives to know, and they know i'll not drink too much of it alone. One is a bourbon freak (the other Whiskey). Bourbon guy said it had 0 carbs.? Is this true?? (Parents' friends had a big party every summer. I enjoyed going, as a huge air force/navy/army air facility was just beyond his backyard fence. That guy tended to bar and kept giving me "Cokes"....I was like 6 y/o-it was bourbon & coke and I got hammered (had a good time and passed out in my parents' car otw home.) Mom was so mad at that guy (they worked w/ him), but once I awoke from my coma, Dad thought it was pretty funny. They never took me back, and I don't think that guy wanted kids at his shindig...lol
 
Mom's flight to Iceland got cancelled this week due to a strike or threat of strike...What's going on there?
 
An african hunt is a big thing for most of us and you are right on target to try to secure your preferred whisky . It's a rare treat and the ideal time to reach for the best whisky. I just passed thru Duty free in WDH airport and they had a small shelf of buffalo trace ,along with the usual Beam labels-nothing small batch. Echoing Red leg's comments the critical path is what you can source locally. Are you O/N ing before heading out to the bush? If so reach out to the managementof your city hotel and they may be able to source something thru their liquor supplier. Good luck with your 2 hunts (Bourbon and game)!
 
Thanks for all of the suggestions! I will probably just bring two bottles. That will be enough for the trip and ensure I have bourbon I like, even if I do try some of the locally available stuff.

Unfortunately, I don't like Gin or Scotch, since they are typically available anywhere.

I quit mixing Coke or Sprite with my drinks years ago. On the rocks or neat chilled for me.
 
TAKE A COUPLE "HANDLES". DUDE IN CUSTOMES DOES NOT WANT TO DO THE PAPERWORK FOR $9.
 
Were it me, I’d travel light, hit the Joburg duty free and max out what you can carry, then leave everything (ammo included) with your PH and team when you go. They likely won’t say no.
 
I would rather drink the bilge from a refugee ship than mix brandy, much less a fine whisky, with coke.
Haaa. I remember when I was in my early twenties and met my dad for a drink and ordered a bourbon and coke. It was bottom shelf/well and my dad just shook his head and looked like I just desecrated the family name. He said, "If you drink from that stirring straw I am leaving." I miss that guy. . . and his wisdom.
 
Taking 4 bottles of Weller 107 and 2 ER 12’s for my month on Safari starting tomorrow.
Cheers to you all!

HH
 
If you like a good bourbon, then bring your own. Good Scotch, if there is such a thing, :giggle:is more readily available in Africa. We found all of the different types of Glenmorangie in Windhoek.
 
I would rather drink the bilge from a refugee ship than mix brandy, much less a fine whisky, with coke.

Agreed! If I’m going to drink whiskey, I drink whiskey. I don’t bastardize it with coke or any other mixer. If it’s not good enough to drink neat or on the rocks, perhaps with a little water to open it up, I don’t drink it.

And I agree, it is best to bring your own. However there are some excellent wines available if you lean in that direction.
 
I have a case that holds two bottles and two glasses, what also works well is a bottle wrapped in bubble wrap and put in a plastic ammo container. I leave the ammo container with the PH and it’s always appreciated.
 
I do not drink mud.

The mud gives me heartburn, hence the preference for Irish and especially Red Breast 15yo.

The video you showed was almost my exact experience at the Jameson Distillery, except I can best describe our tour guide as the Irish George Carlin, un drank distillery reserve joke and all.
IMG_0467.jpeg


This is getting consumed, I bring a bottle back from every trip…

IMG_0468.jpeg

When I sell my property and retire there will be a going away party to open them all.
 
The mud gives me heartburn, hence the preference for Irish and especially Red Breast 15yo.

The video you showed was almost my exact experience at the Jameson Distillery, except I can best describe our tour guide as the Irish George Carlin, un drank distillery reserve joke and all.
View attachment 795964

This is getting consumed, I bring a bottle back from every trip…

View attachment 795965
When I sell my property and retire there will be a going away party to open them all.
Can also highly recommend the Tullamore Dew 14, and if really into giving yourself a treat - the 18. A nearly perfect Irish. Another member posted this years ago.

 
Call Steve at Rebecca Creek and he might fix you up with a bunch of little bottles to give to your hunting crew. I did that and the guys appreciated it. I found Three Ships Bourbon Cask Finish was good. Also Bains is good. The RSA guys are hooked on Brandy and Cokes.
1790740348677.jpeg
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,287
Messages
1,570,666
Members
168,927
Latest member
davidmorgan8426
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
curt672 wrote on Robmill70's profile.
So What's the story on the 340 ??? thanks Curt
rdog wrote on Bob Nelson 35Whelen's profile.
Bob i was at Rebel gun works last Friday they had once fired 25/20 brass in their up stairs section , how are the knees going?
hunted So Africa 4 times and more to come
 
Top