Best rifle for women

Discussion in 'Firearms & Ammunition' started by NurseFet, Jan 23, 2019.

1. BigSteve57

BigSteve57 AH Veteran

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    SCI, NRA, Associated Gun Clubs of Baltimore MD,MD State Rifle & Pistol Assn., MD Rifle Club
    Hunted:
    USA, Namibia
    I've read that barrel break-in is necessary, not necessary and not always necessary. Great.
    With regard to barrel break-in as a general subject I am a bit skeptical that it's needed as much today as it may have been in the past. Why do we think we need to break in barrels? It's to lessen, smooth, eliminate internal tooling marks so stuff like copper & lead don't snag on them. Modern tooling is just so superb that it just doesn't leave much left to "hook" copper & lead. That said, I also think tooling marks depend on the barrel's manufacture. (How's that for talking both sides at once. :p ) Krieger makes what are arguably the finest barrels anywhere and they DO recommend barrel break-in. REF: https://kriegerbarrels.com/faq#breakin. Blaser barrels according the instruction manual are cold forged. Krieger barrels are cut. To further confuse matters, years ago I was told that barrels made by Miroku (for Browning) have a very fine grit-slurry forced through their barrels under high pressure after manufacture to remove any tooling marks. I don't know if this is/was true of ALL their barrels.

The manual for my Blaser R8 says nothing about barrel break in. All they say is to clean it "after it has been fired". The latest Blaser R8 manual is available at Blaser's website.
    https://www.blaser.de/en/services/infomaterial/user-manuals/

There's a serious question coming...I promise. :D

All I ever did was to make sure the barrel was clean before the first shot and then,partly out of superstition, clean the barrel after 3 shots, 2-3 times. That's it. I have never seen or read a scientific study of barrel look & performance before a break in vs. not. I suspect you would also need a fairly sophisticated bore scope to see if breaking in is even necessary and how it looked after the so-called break in.

Here's the serious question:
    What would the difference in break in requirements be, if any, for barrels manufactured with these two radically different processes: cut vs. cold forged? I always wondered.

Attached Files:

NurseFet likes this.

2. dchamp

dchamp AH Veteran

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    SCI
    Hunted:
    USA, Australia, Namibia
    A word of caution on using Sweets, it is 5% ammonia. If you use it I would not leave it in your barrel very long. I personally haven't used it couple of years. I find that many of the newer cleaners work just as well without the hazard.

I think one of the easiest cleaning products to use is Sharp Shooters Wipe Out and Accelerator. Just run a couple of wet patches of Accelerator then squirt some Wipe-Out filling the barrel and then walk away for a couple of hours +/-. After that just run 2-3 dry patches through the barrel. The first patch will probably be black and blue and the following patches progressively cleaner. If you think it is still dirtier than you like squirt some more Wipe-Out into the barrel and leave it, up to, over night then dry patch again. It will be clean.

So after all this, what ammo are you going to try or are you going straight to hand loading?o_O:LOL:

IMG_0734.JPG IMG_0735.JPG

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 10, 2019 at 1:06 PM
    Velo Dog and Royal27 like this.

3. stug

stug AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    NZ
    I think Blaser barrels are a bit different in that the chamber is hammer forged as part of the barrel making process, rather than a separate process later.
    The Blaserbuds forum is probably a good one to go to for Blaser advice, but I wouldn't be surprised if you get conflicting advice there as well.

BigSteve57, Velo Dog and NurseFet like this.

4. CBH Australia

CBH Australia AH Member

Video/Photo:
    About the single sister, is she pretty?
    My wife has a Weatherby Girls Hunt Too. GH2.
    This is made by Howa with a Bell and Carlson composite stock. Black with Pink webbing. It’s not obviously pink but it’s a little more feminine.
    The fit is important!!!!
    They mention the 7mm-08 as being close to the .270 win. I’ve also read it’s the ballistic twin to the 7x57, being a modern cartridge it makes sense that some technology has helped.
    My wife has a .243 and has Used my .7mm-08, various .308s but she does not shoot regularly.
    I own a .300wm Ruger M77 in a Ramline stock with a decent recoilpad. It is is not unpleasant to shoot.
    Please take onboard what the others say!
    There are the Weatherby Camilla, marketed toward women. marketing!
    I purchased a Bell and Carlson composite stock in Pink with Black webbing for a Tikka T3, impulse buy. Maybe my next wife will like it. Being a Tikka all actions fit the same footprint/inletting of the stock. I have a couple of Tikkas. These stocks can probably be shortened but some other rifle may be a good fit right from scratch.
    My brother gets a stiff neck/headache shooting his Browning .X Bolt.308. It fits him but we think he has an issue in his neck
    Among other the Tikka compacts will be worth a look, shorter stocks .
    If you can carry a slightly heavier rifle the recoil will seem a little less there are trade offs.
    I hope you find the right thing

NurseFet likes this.

5. NurseFet

NurseFet AH Senior Member

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    DSC
    Hunted:
    South Africa, (USA- TX)
    I will be sure to keep all of your advice in mind for future purchases, as I'm sure there will be many more.

And sadly, one of my beautiful sisters is recently married and the other is 1yr out of high school and newly enlisted. Maybe someday in the future though :p

6. NurseFet

NurseFet AH Senior Member

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    DSC
    Hunted:
    South Africa, (USA- TX)
    I will officially be sighting in my rifle this Saturday! I will be sure to post pictures of the occasion this weekend.

Jfet and Royal27 like this.

7. cagkt3

cagkt3 PLATINUM SUPPORTER AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    DSC, SCI - West Texas Chapter, HSC, NRA Life Member, Ducks Unlimited
    Hunted:
    South Africa, Zimbabwe, OK, TX, UT
    Even the man himself isn't completely sold on the idea of a set break in procedure (Jump to 1:04)

8. Jfet

Jfet AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    Outdoor Tomorrow Foundation,NRA, Life Member DSC
    Hunted:
    Texas, Oklahoma, Mississippi, Alabama, Georgia, Namibia, South Africa, and Now Spain
    "...Let the barrel tell you.."

The combination of Art and Science of shooting accurately.:)

bruce moulds, cagkt3 and NurseFet like this.

9. Jfet

Jfet AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    Outdoor Tomorrow Foundation,NRA, Life Member DSC
    Hunted:
    Texas, Oklahoma, Mississippi, Alabama, Georgia, Namibia, South Africa, and Now Spain
    Watch out for these guys;)

NurseFet and cagkt3 like this.