I've read that barrel break-in is necessary, not necessary and not always necessary. Great.
With regard to barrel break-in as a general subject I am a bit skeptical that it's needed as much today as it may have been in the past. Why do we think we need to break in barrels? It's to lessen, smooth, eliminate internal tooling marks so stuff like copper & lead don't snag on them. Modern tooling is just so superb that it just doesn't leave much left to "hook" copper & lead. That said, I also think tooling marks depend on the barrel's manufacture. (How's that for talking both sides at once. :p ) Krieger makes what are arguably the finest barrels anywhere and they DO recommend barrel break-in. REF: https://kriegerbarrels.com/faq#breakin. Blaser barrels according the instruction manual are cold forged. Krieger barrels are cut. To further confuse matters, years ago I was told that barrels made by Miroku (for Browning) have a very fine grit-slurry forced through their barrels under high pressure after manufacture to remove any tooling marks. I don't know if this is/was true of ALL their barrels.

The manual for my Blaser R8 says nothing about barrel break in. All they say is to clean it "after it has been fired". The latest Blaser R8 manual is available at Blaser's website.
https://www.blaser.de/en/services/infomaterial/user-manuals/

There's a serious question coming...I promise. :D

All I ever did was to make sure the barrel was clean before the first shot and then,partly out of superstition, clean the barrel after 3 shots, 2-3 times. That's it. I have never seen or read a scientific study of barrel look & performance before a break in vs. not. I suspect you would also need a fairly sophisticated bore scope to see if breaking in is even necessary and how it looked after the so-called break in.

Here's the serious question:
What would the difference in break in requirements be, if any, for barrels manufactured with these two radically different processes: cut vs. cold forged? I always wondered.

Attachments

• Atzl_Trigger_DE_EN_ES_FR_RU_01.pdf
    496.7 KB · Views: 386
  • B95_DE_EN.pdf
    568.3 KB · Views: 418
  • B97_DE_EN_FR.pdf
    1.8 MB · Views: 472
  • BA_BD14_DE_EN_RU_02_2018_mit_Beileger_web.pdf
    6.6 MB · Views: 412
  • BA_R8_Silence_DE_EN.pdf
    499.8 KB · Views: 457
  • BLA_180097_Bedienungsanleitung_RD17_105x148mm_01_DE-EN-FR-ES-RU.pdf
    406.3 KB · Views: 239
  • BLA_BA_Zielfernrohr_105x148mm_A6_Gesamt_preview.pdf
    1.4 MB · Views: 199
  • BLA_Moderator_Bedienungsanleitung.pdf
    3.1 MB · Views: 372
  • Blaser_BiPod_Professional_Bedienungsanleitung_web.pdf
    1.7 MB · Views: 213
  • Blaser_BiPod_Professional_Success_Bedienungsanleitung_web.pdf
    2.2 MB · Views: 183
  • Blaser_Tactical2_DE_EN_FR.pdf
    859.2 KB · Views: 375
  • D99_DE_EN.pdf
    2.2 MB · Views: 417
  • F3_manual_DE_EN_01.pdf
    2.8 MB · Views: 416
  • F16_Manual.pdf
    2.2 MB · Views: 361
  • Hitpoint_DE_EN.pdf
    85.9 KB · Views: 380
  • K95_EN.pdf
    521.8 KB · Views: 304
  • Manual_Primus_DE_EN_FR_ES_RU.pdf
    1.3 MB · Views: 370
  • R8_manual_DE_EN_FR_ES_RU_02.pdf
    2.3 MB · Views: 500
  • R93_DE_EN.pdf
    1.6 MB · Views: 474
  • R93_Duo_EN.pdf
    431.8 KB · Views: 296
  • R93_LRS2_DE_EN.pdf
    543.4 KB · Views: 346
  • R93_LRS2_USA_2002.pdf
    386.6 KB · Views: 411
  • S2_EN.pdf
    398.5 KB · Views: 317
A word of caution on using Sweets, it is 5% ammonia. If you use it I would not leave it in your barrel very long. I personally haven't used it couple of years. I find that many of the newer cleaners work just as well without the hazard.

I think one of the easiest cleaning products to use is Sharp Shooters Wipe Out and Accelerator. Just run a couple of wet patches of Accelerator then squirt some Wipe-Out filling the barrel and then walk away for a couple of hours +/-. After that just run 2-3 dry patches through the barrel. The first patch will probably be black and blue and the following patches progressively cleaner. If you think it is still dirtier than you like squirt some more Wipe-Out into the barrel and leave it, up to, over night then dry patch again. It will be clean.

So after all this, what ammo are you going to try or are you going straight to hand loading?o_O:LOL:

IMG_0734.JPG
IMG_0735.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
I think Blaser barrels are a bit different in that the chamber is hammer forged as part of the barrel making process, rather than a separate process later.
The Blaserbuds forum is probably a good one to go to for Blaser advice, but I wouldn't be surprised if you get conflicting advice there as well.

About the single sister, is she pretty?
My wife has a Weatherby Girls Hunt Too. GH2.
This is made by Howa with a Bell and Carlson composite stock. Black with Pink webbing. It’s not obviously pink but it’s a little more feminine.
The fit is important!!!!
They mention the 7mm-08 as being close to the .270 win. I’ve also read it’s the ballistic twin to the 7x57, being a modern cartridge it makes sense that some technology has helped.
My wife has a .243 and has Used my .7mm-08, various .308s but she does not shoot regularly.
I own a .300wm Ruger M77 in a Ramline stock with a decent recoilpad. It is is not unpleasant to shoot.
Please take onboard what the others say!
There are the Weatherby Camilla, marketed toward women. marketing!
I purchased a Bell and Carlson composite stock in Pink with Black webbing for a Tikka T3, impulse buy. Maybe my next wife will like it. Being a Tikka all actions fit the same footprint/inletting of the stock. I have a couple of Tikkas. These stocks can probably be shortened but some other rifle may be a good fit right from scratch.
My brother gets a stiff neck/headache shooting his Browning .X Bolt.308. It fits him but we think he has an issue in his neck
Among other the Tikka compacts will be worth a look, shorter stocks .
If you can carry a slightly heavier rifle the recoil will seem a little less there are trade offs.
I hope you find the right thing

About the single sister, is she pretty?
My wife has a Weatherby Girls Hunt Too. GH2.
This is made by Howa with a Bell and Carlson composite stock. Black with Pink webbing. It’s not obviously pink but it’s a little more feminine.
The fit is important!!!!
They mention the 7mm-08 as being close to the .270 win. I’ve also read it’s the ballistic twin to the 7x57, being a modern cartridge it makes sense that some technology has helped.
My wife has a .243 and has Used my .7mm-08, various .308s but she does not shoot regularly.
I own a .300wm Ruger M77 in a Ramline stock with a decent recoilpad. It is is not unpleasant to shoot.
Please take onboard what the others say!
There are the Weatherby Camilla, marketed toward women. marketing!
I purchased a Bell and Carlson composite stock in Pink with Black webbing for a Tikka T3, impulse buy. Maybe my next wife will like it. Being a Tikka all actions fit the same footprint/inletting of the stock. I have a couple of Tikkas. These stocks can probably be shortened but some other rifle may be a good fit right from scratch.
My brother gets a stiff neck/headache shooting his Browning .X Bolt.308. It fits him but we think he has an issue in his neck
Among other the Tikka compacts will be worth a look, shorter stocks .
If you can carry a slightly heavier rifle the recoil will seem a little less there are trade offs.
I hope you find the right thing

I will be sure to keep all of your advice in mind for future purchases, as I'm sure there will be many more.

And sadly, one of my beautiful sisters is recently married and the other is 1yr out of high school and newly enlisted. Maybe someday in the future though :p

I will officially be sighting in my rifle this Saturday! I will be sure to post pictures of the occasion this weekend.

Krieger makes what are arguably the finest barrels anywhere and they DO recommend barrel break-in
Even the man himself isn't completely sold on the idea of a set break in procedure (Jump to 1:04)

"...Let the barrel tell you.."

The combination of Art and Science of shooting accurately.:)

I will officially be sighting in my rifle this Saturday! I will be sure to post pictures of the occasion this weekend.

Watch out for these guys;)

So the rifle is officially sighted in! Well, at least until it gets warmer outside and I have more patience to sit outside and do some more fine tuning. After 30+ rounds, the barrel is officially broken in, cleaned, etc. We took a picture of the first target of shots, but there will be more to come with better pictures of groupings in the coming weeks.

The Blaser is officially mine!!! And photo evidence that I’m better with a long gun than I am with a hand gun.

BE965A34-99D2-4F2E-8319-DCF4DB9EF2C9.jpeg
9669C1D5-B40D-4FFC-9E01-8F81A2042A8D.jpeg

Taking the picture is @WFet and pictured is my friend Kenny who will be joining us on our Africa hunt in 2020.

Last edited by a moderator:
6, 7 & 8 look under 1”. Just shoot like that every time and you’re done:rolleyes:!
Now practice off sticks every time you go maybe using something that doesn’t recoil much at first (22LR, 223, etc) and finish with 5-10 rounds of your 308. Done.

Looking good!

6, 7 & 8 look under 1”. Just shoot like that every time and you’re done:rolleyes:!
Now practice off sticks every time you go maybe using something that doesn’t recoil much at first (22LR, 223, etc) and finish with 5-10 rounds of your 308. Done.

Ya, we only own 30-.06 and .308 caliber rifles. And no sticks at the moment. Using the sand bags will have to do for the time being! Looks like I’m just going to have to shoot my gun a lot to get used to the recoil. :p:D Darn...

So the rifle is officially sighted in! Well, at least until it gets warmer outside and I have more patience to sit outside and do some more fine tuning. After 30+ rounds, the barrel is officially broken in, cleaned, etc. We took a picture of the first target of shots, but there will be more to come with better pictures of groupings in the coming weeks.

The Blaser is officially mine!!! And photo evidence that I’m better with a long gun than I am with a hand gun.

I'm absolutely giddy with happiness for you. I remember my first day out with my Blaser. What a rush as I drilled sub MOA groups. I can't wait to see your future postings with regard to this rifle.
Oh and I think being better with a long gun goes for most of us; it certainly applies to me.:cool:

Taking the picture is @WFet and pictured is my friend Kenny who will be joining us on our Africa hunt in 2020.

At almost 28 years of age @WFet is wise beyond his years. He is taking pictures and not trying to help you shoot the rifle. Husbands will never be able to help their wives shoot rifles. It always best to get someone else to do that. Not much difference between Kenny and Capt. America. :whistle:;)

At almost 28 years of age @WFet is wise beyond his years. He is taking pictures and not trying to help you shoot the rifle. Husbands will never be able to help their wives shoot rifles. It always best to get someone else to do that. Not much difference between Kenny and Capt. America. :whistle:;)

@WFet tried to help me, but then Kenny stepped in to save the day. And don’t tell Kenny your comparison, it might go to his head. :p

I totally agree with two statements / observations made previously. One, shots 6, 7, & 8 look MOA or even possibly sub MOA to me. Two, JFet's comment about husbands not teaching their wives how to shoot is a jewel of wisdom. I would however suggest many more trips to the range to get completely comfortable with your new rifle before trying to shoot off sticks.

I have an included CDS dial with my new scope. I have been educated briefly on what it is, but I still have questions. Any advice on the best place to site in my rifle before I send it off to get custom made? I don't know if sighting in at 100yd, 200yd, etc. is ideal before sending that off.

The better question to ask might be at what distance will shots (at game) be taken normally, what is the longest shot you'd be comfortable making? I don't mean to irk any ire here but IMHO the 308 should be limited to shots under 300 yds. especially when used on anything larger than deer.

The better question to ask might be at what distance will shots (at game) be taken normally, what is the longest shot you'd be comfortable making? I don't mean to irk any ire here but IMHO the 308 should be limited to shots under 300 yds. especially when used on anything larger than deer.

I have no intention on taking a planned shot at a range >250 yd. That was one of the reasons I purchased the scope and the caliber I did. I intend to use my rifle for everything from deer hunting to croc hunting and plains game in the future, however.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bkNen

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross