Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SSAA
Hunted
Australia
FWIW I’m headed to Abilene with my buff hide to be fitted by Leddy’s for both a set of custom safari boots and a set of cowboy boots on the 15th... I’ll let you know how things go..
@mdwest
If'n you want the best leather for safari boots give a thought to kangaroo skin. Light, tough a n d extremely subtle and long lasting.
It is also used to make the world's highest class football boots.
Bob

PHOENIX PHIL

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
SCI
Hunted
USA, S. Africa
Never thought of Harley since we are on a hunting forum...but I have had several Harleys and love them too!!

Guilty I am of thread drift. So I'll post more on the topic and just say my M70's. Particularly my 375 and my 300WM.

mdwest

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Mex/S.Amer
Member of
DSC Life Member, NRA Life Member
Hunted
USA, South Africa, Argentina, Peru
@mdwest
If'n you want the best leather for safari boots give a thought to kangaroo skin. Light, tough a n d extremely subtle and long lasting.
Bob

Great thought...

The hunting boots and cowboy boots I’m having made are as much about being sentimental as they are about anything else...

I’m wanting to use the hide from the buff in my avatar...

Assuming I can get Courtney quality (Leddys is world renown for quality.. many Hollywood “stars”, professional athletes, etc have had them make custom boots for them...) custom fit to my foot, from a buff i took, etc... and get it all done just a few hours from my home... I think that will be awesome...

Mekaniks

Gold supporter
AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Australia/NZ
Member of
SCI, RMEF
Hunted
AK, WY, WA, ID, FL, SD, TX, HI, South Africa- Northwest Province
I dig these gear threads. I am gear junkie, it comes with being a diesel mechanic and heavy equipment operator I suppose. Good tools are cool...bad tools, not so much

The one thing I found for hunting travel gear is my Tuffpak. I love being able pack my gun in its soft case and pack additional gear in with my gun.

The last couple years I have come to like 5.11 Tactical gear. I have a 5.11 Rush sling pack which is now my favorite everyday carry pack. It has a pocket for concealed carry and its also perfect size for airline carry on (without the handgun of course). I also have their Rush 72 back pack that I used in Antarctica for my every day carry there and it's an excellent full size day pack. I have 2 5.11 radio/GPS pouches and a 5.11 insulated water bottle pouch for the back packs. I also have a 5.11 watch and 5.11 pocket flashlight that I carry for work everyday.

Tra3

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Member of
SCI
Hunted
Namibia
+1 for kuiu, schnee’s pack boots, R8

Patagonia makes great base layers.
I enjoy carrying a Kestral anemometer for general weather info.
KME makes a great knife sharpening kit I travel in NA with.
A silk scarf is a must for colder weather hunts.

baxterb

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm waiting to hear about the best EEEE wide hunting boots.

Otherwise - am pleasantly surprised by the Maven B3s I bought for my daughter - excellent glass for the cash.

And EXO makes an excellent backpack - right here in Boise. Good fellows who will take good care of you.

mark-hunter

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunted
Namibia - Kalahari, Namibia - Khomas highland
Zeiss Diavary 3-12x56 (best scope I have/ ever had, compared to all other in my posession)

Rilfes Sako, Tikka

Clothes: 5.11

Knife: folding pocket knife, Browning Kodiak. (maybe not the best steel ever, but keeps sharpness reasonably well, and it has daily multiple field functions, as oposed to all other knives I have, including costum ones, damascus knife, pocket knives, ) Design size and functions suit me perfectly. (skinning smaller game, gutting fish, cutting the branch, cutting the bacon, etc

Shooting Stick: Jim shokey Primos stick (telescopic), gen 2 - or gen 3.

Von Gruff

Gold supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Website
www.vongruffknives.com
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Australia/NZ
Hunted
New Zealand, Austaralia
Lowa boots, Rick Young bino harness, Bog pod, Leica range finder and I guess I like my knives better than any others. For small game I like my wildcat 6.5 Grendel-Max and the 404 Jeffery just makes me smile any time I think of bifg game cartridges.

Velo Dog

Silver supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
NRA Life Member.
Hunted
Africa 5 times, USA - most western states including Alaska and Hawaii.
Filson waxed canvas hats, coats and pants, for rainy, windy weather.

German claw mounts.

Swarovski EL 10x42 binoculars.

Late 1970’s vintage 4x Zeiss rifle scope, sadly now discontinued.

Brno model 602 Magnum, caliber .375 H&H, also sadly discontinued a long time ago.

Murray brand, leather cartridge belt.

Lacross brand, burley model, knee high rubber boots, with “airbob” tread.

Vintage (formerly made in USA) Old Timer brand, carbon steel blade pocket knives.

Dreaded cup and core bullets, when kept within their intended impact velocities.

Beaver fur mittens and hat, for arctic winter conditions.

Last edited:

Kevin Peacocke

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Cleveland Gun Club
Hunted
Zimbabwe, SouthAfrica
I am an uncompromising quality junkie, wasted far too much money on 'good at the price' stuff. You still get burnt occasionally with high end stuff, but it is rare.

Clothing from Westley Richards. Birmingham, especially the cotton shirts and the safari jacket.

leather goods from Els, especially the bullet holders.

Canvas and leather bags from Melville and Moon.

Boots from Courteney. Bamboo socks.

Sheath knives from Acacia.

Pens from Mont Blanc.

Watches Rolex and Omega, all mechanical.

Ruger No1 Tropical. Heym doubles (in process, you all know the story.)

Swaro scopes, Leica scopes, Swaro binos on the way.

Stanley flasks, coffee plunger, tipple set.

Could go on and on....

cal

AH member
Reaction score
Hunted
South Africa, Namibia, Botswana, Zimbabwe, Tanzania, Zambia, Scotland
Most of the gear I use and like has been mentioned. Heym, Sako, Swaro, Courtney, Els etc.
One thing that hasn't is Canis clothing. I really like the materials, the fit and the colour. They offer most of their shirts, jackets etc in a dark olive green (they call it grape leaf). Nice to have new technical, moisture wicking gear in something other than camo. I use their long sleeve half zip shirts, soft shell jacket and vest, rain jacket, underwear and other stuff. Moisture wicking underpants have become a must now! Canis was introduced to me by a PH mate of mine. Worn it in stinking hot and cold rain and its been great so far. I still wear short khaki shorts in hot weather but even these are 'upgraded' now with a slight stretch in the material, these are made by a local SA company called Jonsson.

Screenshot 2021-01-04 at 11.04.45.png

CBH Australia

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Sporting Shooters Association Australia, Africa Hunting website!!!
Hunted
Australia and now South Africa
Can't believe it hasn't been mentioned yet.
Blaser R8 rifle.
Leica RF binos.
Contessa scope mounts.

Murray leather (already mentioned).
Swaro scopes (same).
Where are the Blaser supporters?
@mdwest
Bob
Bob, they only play football Here downunder where we grow the kangaroos so they won’t know what you are talking about.

Lowa boots, Rick Young bino harness, Bog pod, Leica range finder and I guess I like my knives better than any others. For small game I like my wildcat 6.5 Grendel-Max and the 404 Jeffery just makes me smile any time I think of bifg game cartridges.
Can you get a Rick Young’s harness in NZ? I emailed him direct and he does not have a distributor here and the post ex the US adds quickly.

I like my Von Gruff knife, Courteney boots, Dingo leather cartridge holder, RM Williams clothes and KANGAROO skin boots, Akubra Cattleman hat and my little Pumba in the avatar.

BeeMaa

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA Life Member, SCI
Hunted
Eastern US & RSA
Filson waxed canvas hats, coats and pants, for rainy, windy weather.
Filson, how could I forget.
But I will qualify it with made in USA Filson.
A lot of the stuff from overseas is not as good.

Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SSAA
Hunted
Australia
Where are the Blaser supporters?

Bob, they only play football Here downunder where we grow the kangaroos so they won’t know what you are talking about.

Can you get a Rick Young’s harness in NZ? I emailed him direct and he does not have a distributor here and the post ex the US adds quickly.

I like my Von Gruff knife, Courteney boots, Dingo leather cartridge holder, RM Williams clothes and KANGAROO skin boots, Akubra Cattleman hat and my little Pumba in the avatar.
@CBH
Chris football and soccer are played world wide. The soccer players in the elite games pay big dollars for kangaroo skin boots and t h ey are also made overseas.
Bob

375 Ruger Fan

Gold supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Australia/NZ
Member of
NRA, DSC
Hunted
Namibia, Zimbabwe, South Africa (Eastern Cape & NW), Canada, New Zealand, Alaska, TX, LA, MO, OH, MT, ID, WA, WY
5.11, Kuiu and Sitka clothing.
Redwing wool socks.
Kenetrek and Danner boots.
Badlands pack
Ricky Young bino harness
Von Gruff knife
Slogan rifle sling
Nikon Black RangeX 4k laser rangefinder
Mathews Switchback XT compound bow

I just upgraded from a Leupold to a Leica scope on one of my rifles and WOW, quite an improvement.

WAB

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
DSC, NRA, SCI
Hunted
Zambia, Botswana, Mozambique, South Africa, Zimbabwe, Namibia, Scotland, England, Canada, Alaska, Ireland
Trader Keith’s rifle slings
Swarovski scopes
Courteney Selous boots
Winchester M70 CRF rifles
SmartWool socks
Els and Co Shooting belt
Toyota FJ 40’s

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nature Jimbo

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cervus elaphus wrote on Bob Nelson 35Whelen's profile.
Hi Bob, how's things going in Wyong?. Down your way a couple of years back but haven't been in NSW since Ebor for the fishing. just getting over some nasty storms up here in Qld, seeing the sun for the first time in a few days. I'm going to NZ in the spring and hope to clean up a few buns while there and perhaps shake the spiders out of my old .303LE (currently owned by my BIL). Cheers Brian
A couple pictures of the sable i chased for miles in Mozambique, Coutada 9!! We finally caught up to him and I had the trophy of a lifetime. Mokore Safaris, Doug Duckworth PH
sable Coutada 9.JPG
sable 2 - Coutada 9.JPG
Safari Dave wrote on egrmpty507's profile.
Did you purchase your hunt at a US SCI fundraiser?
uplander01 wrote on colorado's profile.
Heard you may have load data for the 500 Jeffery,.....any info would be appreciated. Was thinking 535gr, but already had a response that the 570gr would be a better way to go, not sure why.
Rickmt wrote on Leica Sport Optics's profile.
will Leica Amplus 6-2.5x15x50 fit on a pro success Blaser with low mount?